Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
MickeyMills
MickeyMills began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Exclamation Justification on Bullet lists

I'm hoping that someone has seen this and knows what's going on.

I created my doc in MS Word and did a filtered HTML save.

The issue only happens on a bulleted list.

If the bulleted line wraps, the first character in the line indents. What it looks like is the line is trying to "Full" justify but I verified the left justify setting.

What I end up with is something like this...

Thoughts?
MickeyMills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you're familiar with reading raw HTML in a plain text editor it may be worth looking at what Word produced for your bullet list in the filtered HTML file.

A clean bulleted list would look something like:
Code:
<ul type=disc>
<li class=MsoNormal>Item 1 with bullet. Make it long to see the effect of wrapping to the next line.</li>
<li class=MsoNormal>Item 2</li>
<li class=MsoNormal>Item 3</li>
</ul>
If you've done a lot of formatting, Word is capable of making a real mess of lists, tables...etc... the list is long.

Also, I believe MOBI format is very limited with what it can do with margins. Have you tried converting your HTML to EPUB and viewing in the Calibre Viewer. If the problem, also exists there it would suggest a problem with the source HTML. If not it may be the limitations of MOBI.

I'm not a Kindle user, but perhaps someone will stop by with more relevant info.

Edit: I've just had another thought. If you have full justification specified that may make minor adjustments to spacing in order to achieve the straight right margin.

Last edited by jackie_w; 07-27-2011 at 01:33 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
MickeyMills

Yeah, I looked into the HTML file with Jedit. I suspect this is all related to justification. Although the style is set to "Left" justified, once it gets to the Kindle everything is full justified. I've tried several things to fix it with no success.

Then... I looked at 3 other non-fiction books in my Kindle library (Not that I created but ones I bought off Amazon) that I knew had lists.

Lo and behold they all had the same symptom. Apparently I'm not the only one suffering from wandering justification.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
MickeyMills

Solved...

It was somewhat of a brute force solution but it worked. I took all the <p statements in the HTML and added align=left.

This forced the whole book to left justifed.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you have your original sample that is justified, have you tried viewing it in Mobipocket Reader? I'd be curious how that looks. I'm guessing it may be a bug in the Kindle's parser.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert