Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Starting over on my Kindle 3

Is there a simple direct way to remove large #'s of books from the Kindle without having to delete each one, one at a time? My Kindle is getting kind of cluttered of late (when I'd buy a book I ended up having them go directly to my Kindle3 rather than thinking of having them go to my Kindle App. I'd like to be able to organize my books a bit more neatly but there are so many it's hard to know where to start.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
use Calibre to remove "chunks" of book at a time
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
I use Calibre for that. There is a plugin for 'Kindle Collections' as well. I just did something similar a few weeks ago.

1. Calibre; and get the Plugin for Kindle Collections.
2. In Calibre, make up a new custom column (preferences, add your own column), to store the names of your Collections when you use the Kindle Collection plugin.
3. after plugging in your kindle, copy your books from your kindle into calibre (yeah, might take a while if you have a lot).
4. Use Kindle Collection plugin to copy the collection tags from the Kindle to the books that are now in Calibre.
5. Do whatever cleanup you need on the Kindle itself (If you really mean to wipe it, just go to the drive letter\Documents, and delete everything in that folder)
6. Back in Calibre, copy all the books back to your now-empty Kindle.
7. I cleaned up my collections in Calibre first; put things in only 1 Collection for example. Then I used the plugin to put the collection tags onto the books on the Kindle.

and, done!

Note that some things will be lost, I think, if you wipe it like this. Some of your metadata, like highlights or notes which are stored in the Kindle:\Documents\MyClippings.txt, or bookmarks in bookname.MBP or bookname.apnx file. But I'm not really sure about that. If you're paranoid, before wiping out Kindle:\documents folder, you may want to copy the whole thing to a backup location locally on your computer, just in case you have something important in those files.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Or just delete them using Windows Explorer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
This. Plug in the USB cable and highlight all the folders and files for deletion (in the 'Documents 'Folder). Delete as many as your heart desires all at once. Why over-complicate things?

Or if you're serious about starting over (as the thread title implies) and want the quickest, easiest solution... just do a factory reset. Your Kindle will be like brand new (unless you've done some hacking).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-24-2011 at 07:34 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True.

But you need to be careful to remove all related auxiliary files (.mbp, .phl, ...) together with the main file (.azw). Otherwise, those auxiliary files remain in the Kindle flush memory, using up some space forever.

Another problem to use Windows Explorer for the purpose is that it may be unclear which file is for which book. My MobiHandler may help in the case. (Ah, yes, this is a sort of an ad. )
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'd just do a factory reset. Start from scratch.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I'd just do a factory reset. Start from scratch.
That was my thought

I did a factory reset on one of mine and it cleared out everything
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool removing books

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Is there a simple direct way to remove large #'s of books from the Kindle without having to delete each one, one at a time? My Kindle is getting kind of cluttered of late (when I'd buy a book I ended up having them go directly to my Kindle3 rather than thinking of having them go to my Kindle App. I'd like to be able to organize my books a bit more neatly but there are so many it's hard to know where to start.
in calibre there's a subcommand under 'remove books' that says 'remove matching books from device'. also you can view 'device' instead of 'library' and delete in bulk from there. both are better than using windows (or linux or apple's os) to do it (which all work too, but require more effort/thought).
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Your Kindle will be like brand new (unless you've done some hacking).
Does a factory reset undo jailbreak on a Kindle 3?
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
The trick is to remove each book soon after you've finished reading it. That way, the Kindle won't get cluttered up, and you won't need to delete books en masse.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
The trick is to remove each book soon after you've finished reading it. That way, the Kindle won't get cluttered up, and you won't need to delete books en masse.
Yeah, I thought and did that once, but, it's actually nice to be able to go back to books that I've read, to search for info/text/quotes, do research, reread minor sections, and just generally have books I've read available for display.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039
Yeah, it'll undo the standard jailbreak. You'd have to ask the developers if a reset reverts everything that the jailbreak changes/adds. I don't know for sure.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
I thought it did .......

But then when I went to re-jailbreak mine I found that it was still active from
before the factory reset, though it did appear to clear out the screen-saver hack.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I personally just add the book to my own created "Finished Books" collection once I've finished it. That way, I can stop the clutter and retain the book on the Kindle, in case I need to quickly reference it again.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote