Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
wribbit
Edge User

Should I buy the entourage edge now?

Here's the deal...
I read quite a lot of pdf, and a device like this sounds ideal. I've been considering buying the edge since last Christmas, and finally decided to buy it yesterday when I read about all the possible development at the company.

So the question is, assuming worst case scenario, where the device will no longer be supported, is it still worth getting it now?

p.s I'm not considering the pocket edge because I need something with a larger screen.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:06 AM   #2
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wribbit View Post
....So the question is, assuming worst case scenario, where the device will no longer be supported, is it still worth getting it now?
If you like the eDGe the way it is, its a great device. Dont buy it expecting upgrades in software. Also dont expect Android market access from Google. At this point, things in these regards, at least in my opinion, remain unknown. Further software upgrades or market access are possible, just highly unclear if theyll happen so dont expect it. Thats my 2 cents worth.

Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
sarah11918
Edge User

Agree with alefor. If you're confident this is the device that fits your needs now as-is, in the event it never gets another software improvement, then I see no reason not to buy it now. A lot of us here quite like it.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
5thWiggle
Edge User

I felt the same way Wribbit. I was about to buy and kept putting it off due to worries the company was going under. Got one (pocket edge) on friday. Today my posterior is black and blue as I've been kicking myself for not buying it sooner. Even if no other updates are forthcoming, this device excels. It's replacing my Ipod touch which I've been using as a PDA since my Palm died. While I admit that the Ipod and Ipad are good devices, I've had to find many work-a-rounds to do what I needed. The only thing* I could wish for now would be to have the screens the same size, but the overall device smaller. Any quantum physicists on the forum?

*ok, I could wish for alot more but I don't want to be greedy.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
lorenzoens
Edge User

I bought it last week and I'm pretty happy with it. We've been told we'll have the standard year support, so new users shouldnt be worried about it.

Managing the library is painful in every other one screen e-ink, and it's very important when you dont only read narrative books. If you just read, you could evaluate the upcoming Boox m91

Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
wribbit
Edge User

After reading the comments, I've decided to go ahead to buy the Edge
Just ordered one from Amazon and have it shipped to my friend in US, who will bring it back for me. (I live in Singapore by the way)

Thanks all for taking the time to give your opinion. Much appreciated.
I look forward to be part of the edge owner community soon.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:43 AM   #7
Filark
Edge User

Congratulations! Hope you love it. If you have any problems, you know where to come for either answers or sympathy!

Old 04-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #8
stjoe
Edge User

hi wribbit,

welcome to community .. i am also from singapore .. waiting for my PE currently being shipped to SG via borderlinx...

Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
sarah11918
Edge User

Yay, wribbit! But the important thing is which colour did you get??