Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Device: PRS-505
Embedding JPGs larger than 64KB in .prc file

Hi all,

I'm developing a tool to rasterize PDF files, and convert them into .PRC
files along with the TOC for reading on Kindle DX. But now I'm having
problems with embedding JPG files into .prc files, which are more than 64KB.

As I'm experimenting, what I did was generate a .prc file with MobiCreator,
and replace the downscaled JPG with the original 1200x800 one.

The PRC was displayed find, but for large pictures, only the top part is
displayed on DX, the rest of it is all black.

My guess is that there's some certain record specifying the resolution of image, it was loaded correctly but only renders the upper part.

So could somebody help me out? I checked the wiki but there seems no information about it. Thanks.
DairyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Opps!! I made a horrible mistake by not changing the lockChunkID of the
following record, so that record was truncated and only the upper part of
the jpg was displayed...

I corrected that, and the PRC file showed beautifully on my Kindle DX.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I think MobiCreator will still reduce the quality of the images to make them below 64 kB. If you don't want that, you can use MobiPerl or Calibre.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #4
DairyKnight
Connoisseur

I'm using a c tool I developed myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I think MobiCreator will still reduce the quality of the images to make them below 64 kB. If you don't want that, you can use MobiPerl or Calibre.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyKnight View Post
I'm using a c tool I developed myself...
Interesting! Any samples available?

BTW, how similar is this tool to PDFRead 1.8?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:05 AM   #6
DairyKnight
Connoisseur

Well for me, it's much better than PDFRead. It has a much more intuitive GUI
and has more parameters to tune the final PDF.

It support dual - cores to speed up PDF generation. (Now working on that...)

What's more it keeps the PDF TOCs for reading on Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Interesting! Any samples available?

BTW, how similar is this tool to PDFRead 1.8?
Old 11-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyKnight View Post
Well for me, it's much better than PDFRead. It has a much more intuitive GUI
and has more parameters to tune the final PDF.

It support dual - cores to speed up PDF generation. (Now working on that...)

What's more it keeps the PDF TOCs for reading on Kindle.
Any sneak peaks...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I am also interested in this. So far, I have not been able to achieve satisfactory results with images in mobi/azw on the Kindle.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:46 AM   #9
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
I'm definitely interested too.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote