Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #31
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
IMO (and I'm not an Amazon defender) because of Amazon's huge presence in books they have to be careful of copyright. Rights for book distribution are geographically limited. And those rights don't seem to change whether the book is in physical or electronic form. That is probably the reason they are limiting distribution to the US. Yes, it's seems nuts to have geographical boundaries with electronic media but the publishers are just using the dead tree model without working out how electronic books change everything. It's easier to stay with what you know than to change. Smaller ebook sellers have the same restrictions I've found that it's easier to buy from them if you're not located in the right place to purchase the ebook. Amazon would be smacked hard if they started selling ebooks to the incorrect geographical location.

With the Kindle Amazon is selling the "experience". I expect with cellphones they'll be selling convenience and Kindle books will be available to some smartphones. I would expect they would start with one smartphone platform such as the Blackberry and move on to others like the Windows phones or maybe Palm phones. I would be shocked if Kindle books showed up first on the iPhone or the Android phone.

I'm sure someone will hack the Kindle cellphone app to make it work for a wider range of phones but I would think that only a small fraction of users would take advantage of this. As for myself, I don't have a smartphone and Kindle on the cellphone isn't enough to push me into upgrading my cell. Smartphones are $$, the plans more $$$ and I already have a $$ Kindle to read my ebooks.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #32
legaleagll
legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 505
I just want to buy books from Amazon for use on my Sony Reader. I have never quite understood the self limitation placed on your marketability. There are plenty of people who like the convenience and selection presented by buying from Amazon, but simply dislike the Kindle. Every time I buy a book from Bookwise or Sony Connect that is a lost sale that could have gone to Amazon if they would only sell to me.
legaleagll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #33
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
From what I was told, I think you don't need a Kindle if you have the cell phone app.
Now THAT'S what I wanted to hear. The only thing that could be better is being allowed "Trade-in credit" for books that I bought through the Sony Connect Store. I'd switch everything over to Kindle format if I could buy and read kindle formatted books on my iPhone as well as a Kindle!
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Amazon would be smacked hard if they started selling ebooks to the incorrect geographical location.
But US Amazon is selling paper books without any restrictions on country.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #35
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
I've been waiting for this. I buy eBooks so I can read at work (on SLOW days) while looking busy. Pulling out a Kindle at my desk wouldn't be very subtle. Hopefully it won't be limited to cell-phones.
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #36
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Blocking international sales - I think you need an Amazon account attached to a valid credit card with a US-based billing address to buy books for your Kindle. Work around or through that and you're in.

So, in theory, as a U.S.-based customer, if there was an iPod version of the reader, and if you roamed outside the US, it should work.

Last edited by Thomas Ryan; 02-10-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #37
eza
eza began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, iPhone
I have a Sony Reader 500. Used it a lot, mostly on my commute. Works great. Then I got an iPhone. I have that on me all the time. All the time. The Sony Reader isn't small enough to fit in my pocket all the time. So I started reading on my iPhone via eReader. If Whispersync allows me to keep track of where I am in a book, as I read on the iPhone during commutes, waiting in line, in the bathroom, and can switch to a Kindle when I want to kick back on the couch and read away, well, I'll switch again.
eza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #38
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ryan View Post
Blocking international sales - I think you need an Amazon account attached to a valid credit card with a US-based billing address to buy books for your Kindle. Work around or through that and you're in.

So, in theory, as a U.S.-based customer, if there was an iPod version of the reader, and if you roamed outside the US, it should work.
I think the keyword there being "if" you could work around it
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #39
dabargainhunta
Kindle Addict
dabargainhunta began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Ultra casual might be OK on a cell but any serious amount needs something better than a cell. I shudder to think what serious reading will do to the battery levels on your cell!
I agree. This is Amazon's way of getting money out of the ultra casual market that would never even consider buying a Kindle. There are a lot of people out there who read the occasional popular author but aren't serious readers. Amazon will soon be able to get their money too.
dabargainhunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #40
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabargainhunta View Post
I agree. This is Amazon's way of getting money out of the ultra casual market that would never even consider buying a Kindle. There are a lot of people out there who read the occasional popular author but aren't serious readers. Amazon will soon be able to get their money too.
Problem is, Amazon is reportedly taking a loss on many/most of their new "bestseller" ebooks at $9.99.

It's one thing to take a loss when you're selling hardware devices and trying to grow that market, but quite another if you're selling the books for all devices.

So would we expect the same pricing if the books are available for other devices?

(And Amazon is already getting money from Mobipocket sales for other devices.)
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #41
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
This will be neat. Then I could continue reading on my iphone if I was out without the reader. My husband is looking forward to it as well. He doesn't have a kindle but he does like to occasionally read on his iphone.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #42
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
From what I was told, I think you don't need a Kindle if you have the cell phone app.
This would be cool if it's for Blackberry..considering I've just been informed I'm getting one... addicted husband.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #43
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
someone is going to have to tell me exactly how this works.

And so help me, if I have to get a BlackBerry Storm because of this, I'm SUING Amazon for making me do it!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #44
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I would imagine, that since they have Sprint as their primary 3G network, that the Treos will also be supported. But that's just a guess.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #45
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I would imagine, that since they have Sprint as their primary 3G network, that the Treos will also be supported. But that's just a guess.
LOL Wouldn't that be irony. I just dropped Sprint for AT&T.
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote