Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #196
annalisa.x
annalisa.x began at the beginning.

Device: onyx N96ML - pocketbook 902
DrDrib I can turn pages of an ebook with buttons, next and previous page, without using pen. I dont use mobi format, but i usually read in format epub.
annalisa.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:47 PM   #197
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by annalisa.x View Post
DrDrib I can turn pages of an ebook with buttons, next and previous page, without using pen. I dont use mobi format, but i usually read in format epub.

Thank you for the update on this.

Are you pretty happy with yours...which is the N96ml, right?

(I'm thinking about the one with the light, the N96ml.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #198
annalisa.x
annalisa.x began at the beginning.

Device: onyx N96ML - pocketbook 902
Yes, i have the N96ML the one with the light. (and pen)
i am very happy when i read, if I read now with pocketbook 902 there is no comparison. More light, more contrast, more functions, but not handy bookmarks (three touchs, only with pen , no button do bookmark quickly)
I have very little interest for other functions, so i cant tell about them.
a note
I feel compelled to tell someone who wants to buy this that i am not very happy with organization of ebook database.
Too 'intricate', not handy as I expected.
You can't mark ebooks simply and have a quick overview on database, with symbols like 'Read' or 'mark as read' and you cant understand quickly from the lists the state of advancement of reading.(this is almost indistinguishable from other books not read).
I can get this with folders....but i have to do N subfolders in N subfolders in N folders....too much..
God bless my english
ciao.
:-)
annalisa.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:34 PM   #199
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Again, thank you for your thoughts on the N96ml.

I appreciate it very much.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:51 PM   #200
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
couple more thoughts

lack of finger touch isn't annoying. it's the lack of 5-way controller.
(I often tuck my kindle DXG under my armpit or hold it by the screen when walking to work. tried a friend's touchscreen nook, finger-touch is not a useful feature for me)

android OS - both good (customizable) and bad
bad: remember all the wakelock/battery problems you have on an android phone? those issues may pop up too
(some reason, battery was draining during sleep but battery manager reports that device didn't wake up. reboot solved problem for now)

Q:
any epub/mobi app that can do handwriting notes? i think ebookdroid is the only one that I've tried and works, but has min version 4.4 and won't install on the N96ML

software mods:
I see a thread started already for mods... any other people have ideas?
- long press left button=lower frontlight, long press right button=increase frontlight
- use tasker to auto-switch A2 mode (use non-A2 mode for epub app, use A2-mode for everything else especially browser)

Last edited by paperwastage; 08-04-2016 at 10:02 PM.
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #201
UncleZeno
Connoisseur
UncleZeno began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx N96ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
couple more thoughts

lack of finger touch isn't annoying. it's the lack of 5-way controller.
(I often tuck my kindle DXG under my armpit or hold it by the screen when walking to work. tried a friend's touchscreen nook, finger-touch is not a useful feature for me)
I completely agree, especially about the 5-way controller. Also to simply open a book from the "home page" requires the pen. At home is ok, but when you are moving (I use to read while in subway) it's kind of annoying.

Quote:
android OS - both good (customizable) and bad
bad: remember all the wakelock/battery problems you have on an android phone? those issues may pop up too
(some reason, battery was draining during sleep but battery manager reports that device didn't wake up. reboot solved problem for now)
The battery drain/no wake up has been fixed with latest firmware release. No issues anymore.
I also noticed thaht there is a better response of the pen that is more reactive.

That said, I expect a lot better management of the hand writing in future FW releases. When you write the result is not yet smooth for a device released in late 2015/2016.
I also expect an improvement on the stability of the entire system. Too many freezes when starting clicking around for features. At least this is happening quite often with Onyxreader.

In my wishlist for the future releases of the firmware I have:

1) better handwriting perfirmance
2) better stability
3) possibility to assign actions to buttons (for example long press the back button to act like enter).

UncleZ
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #202
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

I execute update from ereader store when I got it last week.

Today... <inserts microSD card>

N96ML detects card

... "Corrupt card... Do you want to format card"?

YES

... formatting.... formatting complete.

Internal storage was formatted as well

<faceplant>
Old 08-10-2016, 03:16 AM   #203
UncleZeno
Connoisseur

Quote:
I execute update from ereader store when I got it last week.

Today... <inserts microSD card>

N96ML detects card

... "Corrupt card... Do you want to format card"?

YES

... formatting.... formatting complete.

Internal storage was formatted as well

<faceplant>
This is really bad

I didn't have such issue and the update went through smoothly.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #204
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleZeno View Post
This is really bad

I didn't have such issue and the update went through smoothly.
Perhaps you had no external card in your reader?
Old 08-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #205
UncleZeno
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Perhaps you had no external card in your reader?
I have a card as well
Thinking about it I think that the update.zip was launched from it.

UncleZ
Old 08-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #206
paperwastage
Groupie

my writing comprehension failed

I applied update last week (replying to UncleZeno's question about wakelocks fixed in latest update)

I wasn't applying update today, when inserting microSD card.

the microSD card was a brand new out-of-box 64GB microSD (probably formatted in exFAT). plugged it in, N96ML detected it as corrupted and asked if i wanted to format (YES), and device formatted internal storage instead. it still didn't detect the microSD properly (SEttings->Storage shows no device)

i manually formatted microSD to FAT32 on laptop, now N96ML has no issues reading it.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #207
shiva123
shiva123 began at the beginning.

Device: N96ML
Hi friends. I am new here. I have got a new n96ml. Could you please suggest me android app or a software, which allows me to read PDF very easily, organises paragraph, pictures very nicely and allows me to write notes easily. I found default programme is slow and not very useful...

thanks , your advice is much appreciated. thanks
shiva
shiva123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #208
Petro_eng
Petro_eng began at the beginning.

Hello fellow readers,
Just got my N96ML and trying to update the firmware, but it looks a bit confusing. The Boox.com has instructions to copy update.zip to a root folder, but then on the Amazon's seller page it says to use the ROM tool. Do they both work the same way or are these different updates for different things?
Thanks for any help.
Petro_eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:39 PM   #209
Petro_eng
Petro_eng began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva123 View Post
Hi friends. I am new here. I have got a new n96ml. Could you please suggest me android app or a software, which allows me to read PDF very easily, organises paragraph, pictures very nicely and allows me to write notes easily. I found default programme is slow and not very useful...

thanks , your advice is much appreciated. thanks
shiva
Shiva,
We are on the same boat. Did you find any helpful stuff? I'm still messing with it...
Petro_eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #210
dmar192
dmar192 began at the beginning.

Device: onyx n96
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleZeno View Post
Hi,

I use it mainly for IT related stuffs but not programming.
If you'd like send me some pages of books you read and I can upload pictures on how they look like.

UncleZ
Hi UncleZeno,

Can I send you or someone else with this ereader upload 3 pdfs to showcase on the onyx n96? I attached it to this post.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EBOOK-TEST.pdf (120.4 KB, 380 views)
dmar192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, n96, n96ml, onyx