Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Question re SD cards, generally.

I have spent much of today trying to figure out the type of SD card the Sony, BeBook and the Hanlin readers use. I know there is a difference between SDHC and Micro SDHC so is one to assume if the specs for the readers only say SD it is the SDHC? Admittedly, my searching skills are fundamental but I've looked at the pertinent forums, reviews... found no answer.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
There is some information on the wiki about each device and the appropriate cards.
See
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices
and a convenient matrix here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
and for non e-ink devices:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/LCD_..._Reader_Matrix

There is a link to the wiki at the very top of this page, on the left.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. I've been aware the wiki contains a wealth of info, but it's clear I have to explore it more thoroughly.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
I have spent much of today trying to figure out the type of SD card the Sony, BeBook and the Hanlin readers use. I know there is a difference between SDHC and Micro SDHC so is one to assume if the specs for the readers only say SD it is the SDHC? Admittedly, my searching skills are fundamental but I've looked at the pertinent forums, reviews... found no answer.
There are SD cards, micro SD cards, and mini SD cards. These are physical changes in the size of the card. All eBook devices use SD cards physically but there are adapters for micro SD cards and min SD cards that allow them to be used in a SD card slot.

In addition there is the issue of SD vs. SDHC. This is a controller and software issue for the cards primarily. There is also an issue with SD card over 1 Gig which is a controller/driver issue.

SDHC is supported on the Sony 505, and the Amazon Kindle, and the new iRex Digital Reader for sure. These devices may not be able to format an SDHC card but can otherwise use one. For other devices it is not clear whether they can do SDHC or not. Generally the manufacturers have been less than forthcoming about SDHC so basically we depend on users to tell us if they work. The Cybook seems to be limited to standard SD cards.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Thank you. I've been aware the wiki contains a wealth of info, but it's clear I have to explore it more thoroughly.
There is not a SD page on the wiki but now that there is a demand I will write one in the next few days.

Dale
Old 10-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #6
CharlieBird
¿Huh?

Wow! More to it than I realized. I did know about adapters, but thought mico and mini were one and the same. Appreciate your explanation. SDHC is the newer, more sophisticated technology? Looking forward to your wiki, Dale. Thx.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There is not a SD page on the wiki but now that there is a demand I will write one in the next few days.

Dale
I have generated a wiki page called 'SD card'. I intend to expand it a bit more but it should be usable now.

Dale