Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
DrLuke
DrLuke doesn't litterDrLuke doesn't litterDrLuke doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 4
K4NT SSH woes

Hello!

I just got my kindle yesterday, and I immediately have jailbroken it and then I followed this guide to get SSH access to it: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking

But now when I try to SSH into it, I get "connection refused". What could be the problem? Is it an easy fix?

Thanks in advance,
Luke
DrLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
That means sshd/usbnetwork isn't started, or you are trying to do it over wifi.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
DrLuke

Oh yeah, sorry, I should've mentioned it. I am doing this over USB, and I can ping the device.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@DrLuke: From diags or via the USBNet hack on main?

Some newer devices (all the K4B 2012, for example) do *not* have SSH installed on diags.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
DrLuke

Only from diags. That explains it then. How do I proceed to get SSH on my kindle then?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@DrLuke: Check the last line in the wiki: use the usbnet hack .
Old 10-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
DrLuke

Ok, I did that now, and I've got a usbnet directory on my kindle now, but I still get connection refused (over diags mode)
Old 10-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLuke View Post
Ok, I did that now, and I've got a usbnet directory on my kindle now, but I still get connection refused (over diags mode)
You cannot ue usbnet over diasg as far as i know... you do it from main.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
DrLuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
You cannot ue usbnet over diasg as far as i know... you do it from main.
On the danger of sounding stupid now - how?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
qlob
Official Lurker

umm... not sure with a K4, I only have a K3....
Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
DrLuke

Ah, I had to first write
;debugOn and then ~usbNetwork into the search bar. Now it works! Thanks!

The root password also was just mario

I should probably extend the wiki entry so people won't have to search this in the future

Last edited by DrLuke; 10-07-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@DrLuke: there's an extensive README(_FIRST) in the usbnet hack.

It covers a wide range of devices & setups, so I prefer to refer people to that than shortcuts one may have used for his particular setup .

(Granted, the visiblity of that last single line alone on the bottom of the K4 wiki page isn't all that great, though...).
Old 10-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
DrLuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@DrLuke: there's an extensive README(_FIRST) in the usbnet hack.

It covers a wide range of devices & setups, so I prefer to refer people to that than shortcuts one may have used for his particular setup .

(Granted, the visiblity of that last single line alone on the bottom of the K4 wiki page isn't all that great, though...).
Haha yeah.

I wonder, could you point me to how I would run my own program on the kindle and have it actually display something on the display? Like, my own gui and all, or display images
Old 10-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLuke View Post
Haha yeah.

I wonder, could you point me to how I would run my own program on the kindle and have it actually display something on the display? Like, my own gui and all, or display images
You may want to look at making your own Kindlet (special java applet)... I have absolutely no experience with that though...
Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
DrLuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
You may want to look at making your own Kindlet (special java applet)... I have absolutely no experience with that though...
I think that's not quite what I want, I want it to run on linux natively.