Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
Keili
Keili began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I have another question! I've been meaning to buy the Kindle Keyboard (this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wirel.../dp/B002LVUWFE), but read all the reviews about the broken screen thing. So I'm wondering, is it true what the people are saying?
Keili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
rooster3888
rooster3888 began at the beginning.

Device: none
My original Sony Reader -- I had the PRS 500 way back in the day -- was a beast. I had it while I was in the service, and took it into some pretty rough places. I knocked the heck out of it... it was full of scratches, dings, etc. But it kept on ticking.

Then 4 years later, I stepped on it on my carpeted floor and broke it. Go figure. So my experience with the Sony was pretty good, though I don't know if they even make them the same way or not (with the aluminum outside).

That said, I have a Kindle now and haven't had any issues, though I haven't abused it to the extent that I did with the Sony.
rooster3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keili View Post
I have another question! I've been meaning to buy the Kindle Keyboard (this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wirel.../dp/B002LVUWFE), but read all the reviews about the broken screen thing. So I'm wondering, is it true what the people are saying?
All I can say is that I've never broken a screen (on a Kindle 3/keyboard or any other eink reader) and I've carried an eink reader with me to work and other places since 2007. Are they breakable? Yes, as discussed above, but they don't just spontaneously break after a certain amount of time or anything. If they did you'd be seeing a huge outcry over it everywhere in the press and the way people love to sue there would probably have been lawsuits by now.

That said I wouldn't buy one if it's going to worry you so much you won't use and enjoy the device.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #19
Keili
Keili began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
That said I wouldn't buy one if it's going to worry you so much you won't use and enjoy the device.
No, no! I'm just a very poor and careful person who always analyzes things carefully before buying it. I know I'll really enjoy my e-reader once I've bought it.

I'm just really worried about those Amazon reviews and those people complaining about the broken screen.

I really appreciate all the feedback you guys are giving me.
Keili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #20
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Buy an extended warranty and get on with your life.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Buy an extended warranty and get on with your life.

You are aware that for the most part extended warranties are useless right? If the original warranty doesn't cover accidental damage an extended warranty only has you pay to extend the original warranty that doesn't cover accidental damage anyways.

Read the fine print and ask questions before forking over your hard earned money. Extended warranties are a waste of money for the most part. Stores like Best Buy & Future Shop push them because that's where they make their money.

When I bought my Sony from the Sony store the guy pushed me to buy the extended. He wasn't listening as my hubby laughed at him & said I'll be buying the next model in less than a year anyways. On further questioning he confirmed that the extended warranty merely makes the original one longer but the terms do not change. User damage is not covered.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
You are aware that for the most part extended warranties are useless right? If the original warranty doesn't cover accidental damage an extended warranty only has you pay to extend the original warranty that doesn't cover accidental damage anyways.
You're talking about extending the manufacturer's warranty. Third-party extended warranties such as those offered by Square Trade are actually insurance policies, and generally do cover accidental damage.

However, given that I've never broken any eInk device in the many years I've been using them I still wouldn't personally buy one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #23
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're talking about extending the manufacturer's warranty. Third-party extended warranties such as those offered by Square Trade are actually insurance policies, and generally do cover accidental damage.
This is the what I was referring to, many third party warranties work like this and replace your device, no matter how it was broken. They tend to cost a quarter or a third of the price, so I don't bother with them since I rarely break things, I do get them for handheld devices for my husband since he's very hard on those.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #24
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have had three Kindles and no screen problems. The screens are fragile, something that some folks don't get. They toss them around freely, don't use covers, and carry them in backpacks filled with heavy objects and then wonder why the screen broke.

Amazon has been very generous with providing replacement Kindles for broken screens free of charge even though it is not covered under their warranty. Amazon has also replaced broken Kindles free of charge or at a discounted price after the warranty has run out.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know how many eInk readers I've had. Certainly a dozen. Maybe as many as 20. As Prof says, treat them with a reasonable amount of respect, use a decent cover, and you'll be absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #26
Avalona
Enthusiast
Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Fire 8 (2020)
Quote:
I've had my Kindle Keyboard for over a year, and I've never broken the screen. I've dropped it a few times too (I am somewhat clumsy). But I did buy a cover for it. So definitely look into a good cover for it, it'll provide some extra protection.
Avalona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #27
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
That thing is £149. Why? You can buy a simple Kindle (if that is your cup of tea) for almost half that amount and it would not have a hideous keyboard and extra plastic attached to it. Aren't keyboards meant to be ON the touch screen these days and a 'Kinidie' with a lot of buttons a thing of the past? Get something without so much plastic. Something is bound to go wrong with all those buttons. Are they water-proof?
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #28
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
All of my Kindles have keyboards. I love them and probably will resist buying a touchscreen e-reader as long as possible. I have never had a problem with the keyboard keys.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #29
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Quote:
No, no! I'm just a very poor and careful person who always analyzes things carefully before buying it. I know I'll really enjoy my e-reader once I've bought it.

I'm just really worried about those Amazon reviews and those people complaining about the broken screen.

I really appreciate all the feedback you guys are giving me.
I once spent four months looking at leather jackets before buying one !

I recommend the Kobo Touch, a good eReader or the Kindle Touch, which wasn't available when I bought my eReader

Millions of people use eReaders, we never hear from them as they are happily using their readers without a problem

We only hear from the handful of users who have a little problem and all eReaders have twelve months warranty, that is ample, most eReaders will last five years or more without a problem

I would impress upon you to get a case for your new eReader immediately, I have the excellent SkinDigital leather case on my Kobo, they are also available for the Kindle Touch

Click on the link to have a look:

http://www.skindigitalstore.com/cate...-Kindle-Touch/

Last edited by Quelch; 05-19-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #30
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
As others have said, make sure you get a case to protect the ereader; that's half the battle in protecting it.

I have the Sony T1 and I'm using a cover designed for the Kindle Touch with it because they are about the same size, it works well, and it's on sale.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-mCover%C...7456117&sr=1-1
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote