Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How should we spell "ebook"?
ebook 56 50.00%
e-book 25 22.32%
eBook 31 27.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 AM   #31
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I like eBook or ebook. I suspect as ebooks become more popular they will end up just being called books. This seems sensible otherwise we would need eMagazines and eNewspapers which would get a bit silly.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #32
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I believe this poll underscores the fundamental trait of human beaings.

Laziness is the word

Last edited by astra; 03-12-2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: grammar
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #33
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I prefer ebook because it takes fewer keystrokes (including the shift key) to type it.

Guess I am lazy.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I confess myself exquisitely unperturbed by my typographical indolence.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #35
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I seem to have gravitated towards ebook, ebook reader, pbook - probably from reading posts here. I know I also use email but I don't use vmail or pmail - I use voice mail and...snail mail.
So ebook and snail book, then?
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #36
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
So ebook and snail book, then?
Yes, a snail book being one that I order from Amazon and arrives via....snail mail. Yes, good point.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #37
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I chose "eBook", perhaps I have caught the iPod contagion, but ebook works as well for me. But never e-book.

Why? because I don't like it.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #38
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
For a paper book, I prefer the term "TreeWaste"
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #39
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Question

"ebook" will win out. Even though I type a decent speed (35-45 words a minute) I prefer having one less stroke to type. Most languages whether written or not tend to shorten things through time.

ebook, pbook.... but what about audio books? abook anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I prefer ebook because it takes fewer keystrokes (including the shift key) to type it.

Guess I am lazy.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #40
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Hi Hidari

Couldn't help but notice your tag line, waiting for a pocket pc e-ink reader. Just under the tag line on my monitor was an ad for Netronix (see netronix in the wiki). They were advertizing ODM/OEM e-Book solutions with PVI e-paper display. Their new 9.7" display is using Win CE which is the underlying OS for Pocket PC. Looks like they are getting close to meeting your needs.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #41
TommyCooper
Enthusiast
TommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket Reader, CyBook, Asus EEE PC
I think ebook is better because it's more energy efficient - one less character. In years to come we will all think it rather hilarious that we used to cut down trees in order to produce a medium to disseminate knowledge. Old books will be called 'woodies' and ebooks will be know as 'ebees' or 'ebs' for short in order to conserve energy and be more electron friendly .

Tommy
TommyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #42
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Ta for the info. As I am writing this there is an advert from Netronix at the top of Mbile Read. Yes, I am following the thread of the ODM/OEM. At this point in am more interested in the EB-100. Though, Still it might be a wee too big for what I am looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Hi Hidari

Couldn't help but notice your tag line, waiting for a pocket pc e-ink reader. Just under the tag line on my monitor was an ad for Netronix (see netronix in the wiki). They were advertizing ODM/OEM e-Book solutions with PVI e-paper display. Their new 9.7" display is using Win CE which is the underlying OS for Pocket PC. Looks like they are getting close to meeting your needs.

Dale
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #43
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Ta for the info. As I am writing this there is an advert from Netronix at the top of Mbile Read. Yes, I am following the thread of the ODM/OEM. At this point in am more interested in the EB-100. Though, Still it might be a wee too big for what I am looking for.
I believe the eB-100 runs Linux 2.6. oNly the eB-300 runs Win-CE which is kind of strange that they would have different OS's. They do advertise touch screen as an option for the eB-100. Perhaps they switch OS's when you get that option.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #44
plantedbypiggies
oink!
plantedbypiggies doesn't litterplantedbypiggies doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Personally, I prefer e-book, but that's because it follows broadcasting reading practices. I read a lot of stuff on air at the radio station I work at. The dash makes it easier for me to pronounce. I can understand the apple "iBefore everything" hook as a marketing scheme, but it does kind of irk me when I've got to read about such a product on the air.
plantedbypiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #45
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
It's much too late now, but maybe the text itself should be called an "etext" and a dedicated device for displaying it (as opposed to a general purpose computer) should be an "ebook". What a rats' nests is English usage!
heh, actually i completely agree with you, and received detailed counter arguments in this other thread (in the rare non-absurd posts).

i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who sees the logic in that...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote