Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
Free Library of Philadelphia

I hope this hasn't been covered in the previous thread, if so--my apologies....

Was thrilled to get my library card today. Then seriously disappointed to have to hold everything I wanted. Sheesh. I guess you folks all beat me to it.

A roller coaster of emotions....
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It's pretty rare that I don't have to do a hold for a book there. My local library (Hennepin County MN) is the same way.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
I hope this hasn't been covered in the previous thread, if so--my apologies....

Was thrilled to get my library card today. Then seriously disappointed to have to hold everything I wanted. Sheesh. I guess you folks all beat me to it.

A roller coaster of emotions....
Hi BoiseShan,

Try this library:http://singapore.lib.overdrive.com/0...en/Default.htm it's free. Don't need an actual Passport number. Use any number combination.

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
I find that being a member of more than one digital library helps with the 'hold' problem. I have access to 4 digital libraries (soon to be 5) and, among them, I've been able to either avoid the waits or, at the very least, not have to wait too long for the books I want to read, especially the popular ones.

I have access to a very small digital library with only audio books and was able to get the Stieg Larsson books with no wait. And between 2 other libraries, I got the Hunger Games trilogy with less than a week wait.

Something else I've noticed is that there is little to no wait list for mobipocket books and the audiobooks in WMA format.

I'm glad to not have to depend on library lending to get books, though; I notice some books have wait lists as long as 70 persons () - I'd never be able to wait so long!
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I find that being a member of more than one digital library helps with the 'hold' problem. I have access to 4 digital libraries (soon to be 5) and, among them, I've been able to either avoid the waits or, at the very least, not have to wait too long for the books I want to read, especially the popular ones.

I have access to a very small digital library with only audio books and was able to get the Stieg Larsson books with no wait. And between 2 other libraries, I got the Hunger Games trilogy with less than a week wait.

Something else I've noticed is that there is little to no wait list for mobipocket books and the audiobooks in WMA format.

I'm glad to not have to depend on library lending to get books, though; I notice some books have wait lists as long as 70 persons () - I'd never be able to wait so long!
Yes, I belong to four also. I've find sometimes a book may have numerous requests at one and 1 or 2 at another.

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Nada y Nadie
Enthusiast
Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Didn't know about these libraries. Can anyone tell me which they belong to? How can you tell if it's a legit ebook library, and how do you find them?
Nada y Nadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada y Nadie View Post
Didn't know about these libraries. Can anyone tell me which they belong to? How can you tell if it's a legit ebook library, and how do you find them?
It depends on where you live. I live in the US and most public libraries in my state lend ebooks. I belong to over half a dozen libraries because of reciprocal agreements between them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I've found that the wait lists actually move pretty quick. I guess most people return books early, I know I do. But I read library books on my Nook, and also have over 300 books on my Kindle 3, so it's not like I've nothing to do while I'm waiting.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
So how does the free library work?

The library buys the digital rights to only so many books and lends them out on a waiting list? Sounds like a hassle. I do look forward to seeing how the library will adapt to the e-book era in the years to follow though.
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Access to a free library can't hurt! Giving it a shot now.

Thanks for the head's up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaigreg View Post
Hi BoiseShan,

Try this library:http://singapore.lib.overdrive.com/0...en/Default.htm it's free. Don't need an actual Passport number. Use any number combination.

Greg
Old 02-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHunter_Author View Post
So how does the free library work?

The library buys the digital rights to only so many books and lends them out on a waiting list? Sounds like a hassle. I do look forward to seeing how the library will adapt to the e-book era in the years to follow though.
The library buys a special license for only so many books and lends them out for a loan period that can be customized. Once they're all lent, they start up a waiting list. Just like your regular library does. Adobe Digital Editions manages the licensing/DRM stuff for epubs and pdfs, and those books (license) can be "returned" early, opening it up for the 1st person on the wait list, etc.; otherwise the license "expires" on the due date and the library gets the rights back to lend it out again. It's very similar to borrowing a dtb from the real library, only when it's due, the library takes it back and you don't have to do anything about it, no overdue fines!
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
BoiseShan
Connoisseur

Once I complete the online request for access, any idea how long before I get the email that should grant me that access?

Patience is NOT my virtue!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #13
geekaren
geek
geekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one hand

Device: Oasis (1&2), Voyage, Kindle Touch, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
Once I complete the online request for access, any idea how long before I get the email that should grant me that access?

Patience is NOT my virtue!
For the Singapore Library, you don't need to wait for an email to start checking out books. In fact, I didn't receive a confirmation email at all.
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
BoiseShan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekaren View Post
For the Singapore Library, you don't need to wait for an email to start checking out books. In fact, I didn't receive a confirmation email at all.
You're awesome! Thanks! I would have been waiting forever.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
Nada y Nadie
Enthusiast
Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
The library buys a special license for only so many books and lends them out for a loan period that can be customized. Once they're all lent, they start up a waiting list. Just like your regular library does. Adobe Digital Editions manages the licensing/DRM stuff for epubs and pdfs, and those books (license) can be "returned" early, opening it up for the 1st person on the wait list, etc.; otherwise the license "expires" on the due date and the library gets the rights back to lend it out again. It's very similar to borrowing a dtb from the real library, only when it's due, the library takes it back and you don't have to do anything about it, no overdue fines!
Do you know: Does the library buy a regular ebook and then modify it somehow so that it will expire when it's due? Or do they only buy ebooks which are in a special format?
Nada y Nadie is offline   Reply With Quote