Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-28-2022, 09:20 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Non-Resident Library Cards

Non-Resident Library Cards

Libraries that offer non-resident access to their collections (for a fee) are a valuable resource for those who belong to smaller libraries or libraries with insufficient books in their favorite genres. Essentially, these libraries function as a subscription service similar to Kindle Unlimited, Audible, Scribd, etc.

While the emphasis of this thread is to discuss out-of-state/country non-resident library cards, feel free to discuss anything related to libraries in general, such as borrowing strategies and downloading issues.

If you run across libraries that aren't listed here, please post them. I'll then add them to the lists below and flesh out pertinent links and other key details.

Index
  • Non-Resident Library Cards --> details
  • OverDrive Collection Sizes --> details
  • Recent News Articles --> details

Vendors
Library Associations.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 12-16-2022 at 12:11 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:20 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Non-Resident Library Cards -- updated 01 Aug 2022
  • listing of libraries that offer out-of-state/country non-resident library cards

A ~ DE ~ LM ~ PQ ~ ST ~ Z
Pending

Library SystemsFormer Non-Res Lib Cards.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 12-16-2022 at 12:16 AM.
Advert
Old 07-28-2022, 09:20 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

OverDrive Collection Sizes -- updated 01 Aug 2022

Largest Libraries -- updated 06 Aug 2022
over 100K ebooks50K ~ 99K ebooks40K ~ 49K ebooks10K ~ 39K ebooks.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 12-16-2022 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:09 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Thanks, tm, for pulling this all together.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:41 PM   #5
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
Wow, this is an amazing thread! Thanks for aggregating.

I haven’t had Stark Library for long but it works fine in my Libby and the 20 checkouts / 30 holds limit is extremely generous. I keep tapping out my local library cards that only have 10 holds per card.
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2022, 05:11 PM   #6
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepope View Post

I haven’t had Stark Library for long but it works fine in my Libby and the 20 checkouts / 30 holds limit is extremely generous. I keep tapping out my local library cards that only have 10 holds per card.
I'm looking around the Stark Library, and it looks like they are using bibliocommons.com rather than Overdrive.

I don't usually use libraries, so I could be wrong about this--maybe bibliocommons is actually tied to Overdrive, somehow? If it's not, though, it may be worth mentioning for those who have a Kobo reader and were hoping to access books borrowed from there on their Kobos without downloading and loading through ADE.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:51 PM   #7
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
It looks like you can add the Washington County (Oregon) Cooperative Library Services system to this list. They have an option for $140 to get access to the e-library and physical books.

Library site: https://www.wccls.org/
Info on Card Types: https://www.wccls.org/types-library-cards
Overdrive: https://wccls.overdrive.com/

82,391 epubs
85,748 kindle
36,245 mp3s

I also checked Seattle, WA and King County, WA. You can get cards for either of these if you live within the state (with a few exceptions). I don't see a general out-of-area option for them though.

There is also the Oregon Digital Library Consortium that MANY Oregon libraries are part of. There are probably several libraries that offer access to non-resident members, I only looked at a couple till I found one, there may be others at lower prices.

Hood River Library - $80/year
Library: https://hoodriverlibrary.org/
Get a card: https://hoodriverlibrary.org/get-a-library-card/
Overdrive: https://library2go.overdrive.com/

35,811 epub
32,151 kindle
17,695 mp3s

Last edited by Dazrin; 07-28-2022 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Added Hood River
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:02 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Ohio's Stark Library is switching from Overdrive to the Libby app in 2023. I find this library to be awesome when I've compared it to others. 20 loans, 30 Holds, 21 day loans, and 152,258 Kindle format books.

No idea what bibliocommons is.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 07-28-2022 at 07:06 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:16 PM   #9
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Ohio's Stark Library is switching from Overdrive to the Libby app in 2023. I find this library to be awesome when I've compared it to others. 20 loans, 30 Holds, 21 day loans, and 152,258 Kindle format books.

No idea what bibliocommons is.
https://starklibrary.bibliocommons.com/search?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 12:42 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
It looks like you can add the Washington County (Oregon) Cooperative Library Services system to this list. They have an option for $140 to get access to the e-library and physical books.

Library site: https://www.wccls.org/
Info on Card Types: https://www.wccls.org/types-library-cards
Overdrive: https://wccls.overdrive.com/

82,391 epubs
85,748 kindle
36,245 mp3s

I also checked Seattle, WA and King County, WA. You can get cards for either of these if you live within the state (with a few exceptions). I don't see a general out-of-area option for them though.

There is also the Oregon Digital Library Consortium that MANY Oregon libraries are part of. There are probably several libraries that offer access to non-resident members, I only looked at a couple till I found one, there may be others at lower prices.

Hood River Library - $80/year
Library: https://hoodriverlibrary.org/
Get a card: https://hoodriverlibrary.org/get-a-library-card/
Overdrive: https://library2go.overdrive.com/

35,811 epub
32,151 kindle
17,695 mp3s
Thanks for the detail on these libraries. It made my job so much easier. I really appreciate it

As to Seattle and King County, we're primarily looking at reciprocal borrowing. Though Seattle does offer a non-res card for $85, but only for those living within the state.

BTW, Seattle and King County are 2 of the 6 libraries I belong to.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:44 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thanks, tm, for pulling this all together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepope View Post
You're quite welcome
Old 07-29-2022, 12:57 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

While the emphasis of this thread is to discuss non-resident library cards, feel free to discuss anything related to libraries in general, such as borrowing strategies and downloading issues.

Before getting a non-res card, check to see if your library has reciprocal borrowing agreements with neighboring libraries. These agreements allow you to get free cards form other libraries and they might have better collections than your library.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:09 AM   #13
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks for the detail on these libraries. It made my job so much easier. I really appreciate it

As to Seattle and King County, we're primarily looking at reciprocal borrowing. Though Seattle does offer a non-res card for $85, but only for those living within the state.

BTW, Seattle and King County are 2 of the 6 libraries I belong to.
You're welcome.

Multnomah County does have Hoopla available too.

For Hood River, I would move that to one of the Library Systems in the 2nd post. It is part of the Oregon Digital Library Consortium (Library 2 Go) and doesn't have its own digital library. There are a lot of libraries in this system: https://library2go.overdrive.com/support/members

I was supposed to be in Seattle all this week for work and my family was going to come with me to avoid the heat. Unfortunately it fell through at the last minute on Monday. We have had temperatures in the low 100s and upper 90s all week down here in Portland. YUCK! It's supposed to be this way through Sunday.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:44 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Multnomah County does have Hoopla available too.
It listed "streaming movies, music, comics, TV and more" with no mention of books, so I didn't include it. Quite a few libraries have Hoopla, but only for video, music, and comics. It appears books are too expensive. Three of my libraries have Hoopla, but not for books.

Quote:
For Hood River, I would move that to one of the Library Systems in the 2nd post. It is part of the Oregon Digital Library Consortium (Library 2 Go) and doesn't have its own digital library. There are a lot of libraries in this system: https://library2go.overdrive.com/support/members
Already done. So far, six of these libraries get their OverDrive content through consortiums. I'll double check the list later to be sure I didn't miss any.

Quote:
I was supposed to be in Seattle all this week for work and my family was going to come with me to avoid the heat. Unfortunately it fell through at the last minute on Monday. We have had temperatures in the low 100s and upper 90s all week down here in Portland. YUCK! It's supposed to be this way through Sunday.
That's not for me. That's way too hot. We've been about 10 degrees cooler than you, so good luck. If it gets too bad, head for the mountains.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:01 AM   #15
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It listed "streaming movies, music, comics, TV and more" with no mention of books, so I didn't include it. Quite a few libraries have Hoopla, but only for video, music, and comics. It appears books are too expensive. Three of my libraries have Hoopla, but not for books.
That's not for me. That's way too hot. We've been about 10 degrees cooler than you, so good luck. If it gets too bad, head for the mountains.
Ok, I didn't realize that for Hoopla. Not something I've really looked into.

Yes, yes it is. Fortunately, we have AC. Unfortunately, it doesn't keep up at these temps but it's something. That's 100% why the family was going to come with me on my trip.