Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #16
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Why on earth do we have 1990s posting guidelines in 2017, Dr. Drib? Who did deleting Buran's pictures help? What good has been done here? How do we petition for a revision to the posting guidelines to reflect the fact that 600x600 is ridiculously small for a limit?
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Why on earth do we have 1990s posting guidelines in 2017, Dr. Drib? Who did deleting Buran's pictures help? What good has been done here? How do we petition for a revision to the posting guidelines to reflect the fact that 600x600 is ridiculously small for a limit?

Please take it to the Feedback Forum.

Thank you.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #18
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Does the inverse video mode also invert images?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #19
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I wish there was an easier way to access the invert video mode. Going to settings and accessibility is inconvenient.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Does the inverse video mode also invert images?
Yes, it does.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:47 AM   #21
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Yes, it does.
Thanks, that is pretty good. I seen my share of books that use images for symbols and graphic elements and such. They always look bad in app with white on black since images don't get flipped.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #22
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Thanks, that is pretty good. I seen my share of books that use images for symbols and graphic elements and such. They always look bad in app with white on black since images don't get flipped.
Yeah, that would be weird.

Text, symbols, special characters, and line drawings all look good on the Oasis 2 in inverse video mode. Photographic images look like film negatives though, and that can be a bit strange.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Having tried reverse video mode on my KO2, it strikes me that there's probably an excellent reason why rather few books are printed in white ink on black paper . I don't like it at all - it reminds me of reading on a terminal screen 30 years ago!

Last edited by HarryT; 11-07-2017 at 01:20 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:04 PM   #24
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
I wish there was an easier way to access the invert video mode. Going to settings and accessibility is inconvenient.
me too! not only that, but it would be great to be able customize, let's say 5, frequently used options on a single list. just toggle on/off, like the airplane mode and bluetooth in the quick actions menu.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:19 AM   #25
JeFurry
JeFurry began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-505
I love my KO2's inverse mode - it works perfectly within books in most cases. However, everything is inverted, including illustrations and book covers on the home screen. With graphical fripperies such as section separators and some chapter headings, inversion along with the text is desirable, but with illustrations and covers, it may not be.

I think there are enough exceptions that I'd like to see the black-on-white mode extended to include three states: Normal, inverted-except-for-images (a new mode that would be ideal for the home screen and illustrations), and fully inverted. Possible, do you think?

It would also be handy to have a toggle switch available from the quick-access reading settings, because I like to switch quite often: Inverted for reading at night, and normal black-on-white during the day.

By the way, is it just me, or does the brightness also increase a couple of notches when you go inverted, perhaps to compensate for the lesser reflectivity of a darker page?

Last edited by JeFurry; 11-09-2017 at 05:20 AM. Reason: additional final para
JeFurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:37 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeFurry View Post
I think there are enough exceptions that I'd like to see the black-on-white mode extended to include three states: Normal, inverted-except-for-images (a new mode that would be ideal for the home screen and illustrations), and fully inverted. Possible, do you think?
Doubtful. This appears to be a hardware-related setting of the screen controller, which simply inverts the state of all the bits. It doesn't know whether what's on the screen is text or pictures.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #27
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Ok, I am going to boldly ask a probably really stupid question. Keep in mind, I don't know much about the technology of e-ink, other than they are some sort of ink bubbles? Does it wear on the device more having to display the black ones over the white ones? Or is it exactly the same as far as usage and all that.

I was just wondering about that since it has to put the full backround in black and I just assumed the back round is "white" without using the ink bubbles.
Am I making sense? Please be gentle
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No difference in the amount of wear. eInk particles are microscopic spheres, suspended in a fluid, that are white on one side and black on the other. A "pixel" changes colour by having an electric field applied to it which makes the eInk particles within it rotate to display either their white or black side.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #29
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Oasis inverse-video mode

OK, trying the option to attach instead of in-line. (Posting using Tapatalk).

Looks like that's the secret so I'll use that mode in the future. I'll edit the original post to put the picture back for future viewers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5459.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	568.6 KB
ID:	159929  

Last edited by Buran; 11-09-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:36 PM   #30
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Having tried reverse video mode on my KO2, it strikes me that there's probably an excellent reason why rather few books are printed in white ink on black paper . I don't like it at all - it reminds me of reading on a terminal screen 30 years ago!
White text on black (on screen at least) seems to be a specific minority taste. But the people who like it really like it. Many coders who look at text on screen all day seem to like it.

I vastly prefer it to normal black text on white. It's much easier on my eyes. But I don't think I'll like it on e-ink, because the black isn't black but very much grey.

White text on black was the norm until the advent of GUI. Movie still often use light on dark GUIs because they look better when photographed.

PS: the obvious reason books aren't printed white text on black is you'd be using vast amounts of ink.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote