Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
combiner
combiner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
10th Gen Oasis indexing slowly

Recently my Oasis has been having trouble indexing new books. I've had it for eight months and it used to be able to index large batches no problem. But as of late, even if I only add a few books at a time, it only seems to finish indexing one or two (I'm tracking it by searching a string of gibberish and checking the number of books under "Items Not Yet Indexed", and this is after waiting several hours to give it ample time) before I reboot it, and then it'll index another one or two, and I reboot again, etc.. The process is very tedious, and no amount of googling has come up with a solution or even anyone else that has had a similar problem.
Would anyone happen to have an idea of how to "restart" the indexing process without needing to do a factory reset?
combiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:20 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Do you keep it connected to a wall charger during indexing?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #3
combiner

Yep, doesn't seem to help. I first noticed the problem because the battery had been draining more than usual, and saw that many books had been left un-indexed, and I always keep it plugged in overnight, sometimes for several days.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:53 AM   #4
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
You can try this:
1) connect Kindle to PC
2) open the USB drive of Kindle, manually add the word “system” to the address bar in File Explorer.
3) There should be a lot of folders. Backup SearchIndexes folder somewhere on your PC
4) Now delete the contents of this folder
5) unplug the Kindle and restart it normally
6) indexing should start over. If you have a lot of books, this will of course take a while
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #5
combiner

Thank you, I'll give this a shot.
Advert