Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-11-2021, 06:44 PM   #16
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, I was going to suggest using Toxaris's amazing ePUBTools plugin for Word. You can then tag all the italics and bold, throughout (and underscores, if used), first.

Then cTRL-A and remove all the inline styling and then restore the italics, bold and underscores, throughout.
Sounds great. Although I never messed with that portion of EPUBTools.

What are the exact steps?
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:07 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Sounds great. Although I never messed with that portion of EPUBTools.

What are the exact steps?
OMG, it's easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy.You simply load up ePUBTools and then in the menu, you pick "Additional Tools," and then click "tag formatting."

The plugin replaces the usual i/i tags and the like with unique tags, like markup tags. When you've done that, then you CTRL+A and you remove all formatting, file-wide.

Now you have a perfectly clean file. If you're me, you take an existing set of Styles and Headings, and you CTRL+A again and you apply a body style to the entire file. right?

And then you go back to ePUBTools, back to Additional formatting and you click Tag formatting again and it restores all the italics, bold, underlines. In the extant styles that you just assigned, a few moments earlier.

It really is the best thing since sliced bread for exactly THIS scenario. I was surprised not to see anyone else bring it up. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2021, 02:05 AM   #18
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OMG, it's easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy.You simply load up ePUBTools and then in the menu, you pick "Additional Tools," and then click "tag formatting."
Interesting. My "Tag Formatting" button was hidden by default.

This is how I enabled it (in Microsoft Word 2016):

1. Press EPUBTools tab in the ribbon.

2. Press the Settings button.

3. In the settings window, scroll sideways to Configure Ribbon.

4. Uncheck the box for Additional tools > Tag formatting.

(It was the only one that was checked for me... no wonder I never saw it before!)

Quote:
The plugin replaces the usual i/i tags and the like with unique tags, like markup tags. When you've done that, then you CTRL+A and you remove all formatting, file-wide.

Now you have a perfectly clean file.
Fantastic, fantastic. I'll definitely have to toss this one in my back pocket.

I knew Toxaris's tools were already great, but that made it even better.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 05-12-2021 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Interesting. My "Tag Formatting" button was hidden by default.

This is how I enabled it (in Microsoft Word 2016):

1. Press EPUBTools tab in the ribbon.

2. Press the Settings button.

3. In the settings window, scroll sideways to Configure Ribbon.

4. Uncheck the box for Additional tools > Tag formatting.

(It was the only one that was checked for me... no wonder I never saw it before!)

Fantastic, fantastic. I'll definitely have to toss this one in my back pocket.

I knew Toxaris's tools were already great, but that made it even better.
Try it. Honestly....it's fantastic. I know, I know, I've raved about Toxaris previously and ^, but until you've been stuck in the same boat as this OP and had to do this all manually, you won't appreciate this simple but brilliant plugin's capabilities.

I had a bookmaker here that insisted that her clip (a proprietary PERL clip) was better, yadda. Until she had a major hassle with a book and the italic cleanup took her forever. I took the same file, spent 10 minutes and handed it to her and she's been a Toxaris fan ever since.

Hitch
Old 05-12-2021, 05:44 PM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In the beginning, I recall trying to make use of Tag Formatting.

But I must have missed the line that said "…click Tag formatting again and it will restore all the inline italics, bold and underlines."

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
In the beginning, I recall trying to make use of Tag Formatting.

But I must have missed the line that said "…click Tag formatting again and it will restore all the inline italics, bold and underlines."

BR
LOL. Well, yes, that could present a small hill to climb. Might want to try it that way.

Hitch
Old 05-13-2021, 05:58 PM   #22
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Doesn't look like it's explained well (or at all?) in the docs either:

http://toxaris.nl/helpen/index.html

And honestly, this is the first I'm hearing about it.

But if Tag Formatting is as great as Hitch says it is, this should be one of those front-and-center features we should all be trumpeting.

Side Note: And speaking of my great buddy Toxaris... he hasn't been posting in a while. (Last login: August 2020.) Anyone know what's up?
Old 05-13-2021, 07:34 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans;4121270[B
Side Note:[/B] And speaking of my great buddy Toxaris... he hasn't been posting in a while. (Last login: August 2020.) Anyone know what's up?
I suggest you send Toxaris a PM. I do hope whatever the reason for his absence is nothing serious.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:57 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
LOL. Well, yes, that could present a small hill to climb. Might want to try it that way.

Hitch
You probably intuited it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest you send Toxaris a PM. I do hope whatever the reason for his absence is nothing serious.
Seconded - my hope is that he's won a major contract - e.g. the Notre-Dame restoration.

BR
Old 05-14-2021, 06:26 AM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Doesn't look like it's explained well (or at all?) in the docs either:

http://toxaris.nl/helpen/index.html

And honestly, this is the first I'm hearing about it.

But if Tag Formatting is as great as Hitch says it is, this should be one of those front-and-center features we should all be trumpeting.

Side Note: And speaking of my great buddy Toxaris... he hasn't been posting in a while. (Last login: August 2020.) Anyone know what's up?
My intuition isn't that great. I worked with Toxaris, directly and commercially, outside of MR and we probably discussed it directly, that's all.

Yes, I hope he's all good too. I haven't emailed him in a while.

And this is a FANTASTIC feature of ePUBtools. It's saved me untold hours. I do actually yammer about it, on here, ya know. This ain't my first time saying "use ePUBTools." The only problem with it, is, for some reason, on my Word 365, Win10, it won't remain installed. It works fine on my Laptop version. Damned if I get it, but it's such a boon to use that I simply drop files over to my laptop, use eT there and then drop the cleaned file back to my desktop. Worth the aggro.

Hitch
Old 05-14-2021, 11:03 AM   #26
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Hi everyone! Yes, I hardly visit the site anymore, but I am very much alive. To be honest. I hardly create e-books nowadays and keep mostly to reading...

I can't recall when I built in the tag formatting, but it has been there for a long time, I actually think it was one of the first things I added. It is indeed as said, it tags the formatting after which you can use the 'clean formatting' option. Afterwards run the 'tag formatting' again and it will untag the formatting, restoring italic, bold, underline, whatever you selected.

It should provide you with a cleaned up file.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:57 PM   #27
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Hi everyone! Yes, I hardly visit the site anymore, but I am very much alive. To be honest. I hardly create e-books nowadays and keep mostly to reading...

I can't recall when I built in the tag formatting, but it has been there for a long time, I actually think it was one of the first things I added. It is indeed as said, it tags the formatting after which you can use the 'clean formatting' option. Afterwards run the 'tag formatting' again and it will untag the formatting, restoring italic, bold, underline, whatever you selected.

It should provide you with a cleaned up file.
It's been at least since 2013, which is when it went into the Hitch-Top-Secret-Weapons catalogue and has remained there ever since. :-)

Lovely to see you!

Hitch
Old 05-14-2021, 08:43 PM   #28
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:

The only problem with it, is, for some reason, on my Word 365, Win10, it won't remain installed. It works fine on my Laptop version. Damned if I get it, but it's such a boon to use that I simply drop files over to my laptop, use eT there and then drop the cleaned file back to my desktop. Worth the aggro.
I had that problem for a while, but it 'self healed', possibly something MS did or one of my other add-ins did. Dialogue Checker is still intermittently obstreperous, less so if I terminate other programs like browsers and editors, one day I'll try it in Safe Mode.

Quote:
Hi everyone! Yes, I hardly visit the site anymore, but I am very much alive.
Excellent, good to know you're okay, I can take you off my "I wonder what happened to…" list.

Stay well everyone.

BR
Old 05-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #29
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:
it tags the formatting after which you can use the 'clean formatting' option. Afterwards run the 'tag formatting' again and it will untag the formatting, restoring italic, bold, underline, whatever you selected.
On a fresh install of ePUBTools, Tag Formatting is hidden by default. You have to go into Settings|Configure Ribbon and in Additional Tools un-hide Tag Formatting. If there is ever a new version of the tools perhaps Tag Formatting could be visible by default.

Sorry, what do you mean by "use the 'clean formatting' option"? What is the actual name of the option in ePUBTools? Or do you mean a Word option? Sorry if this seems obvious...
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:15 PM   #30
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy View Post
On a fresh install of ePUBTools, Tag Formatting is hidden by default. You have to go into Settings|Configure Ribbon and in Additional Tools un-hide Tag Formatting. If there is ever a new version of the tools perhaps Tag Formatting could be visible by default.

Sorry, what do you mean by "use the 'clean formatting' option"? What is the actual name of the option in ePUBTools? Or do you mean a Word option? Sorry if this seems obvious...
Hi:

Either. There's a clear formatting icon, in ePUBT--I don't have it in front of me and I don't recall what it is, but I think it's an X, through some text perhaps? (Red, can you jump in here? I don't have my laptop handy with that on it). OR, once you select all the text, *after* you have tagged the formatting!!!!--just use CLEAR ALL in the Word Styles pane. At the very top. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

And never forget--always, always, always do this with a copy of the file, if you don't have a backup in cloud or other storage. I don't care if you're doing this the first time or the fifteen-hundredth, use a copy. Trust me, I'm the queen of unrecoverable screwups.

Hitch