Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2022, 03:29 AM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Wrong remaining time/messed up ToC

Every so often, a book downloaded from the Kobo Store gets messed up a bit -- the 'time remaining' becomes ridiculously short (no, I'm not reading entire chapters in 10 seconds) and the ToC length chart is all messed up as well.

The only fix I've found is to use Calibre to delete the book from the database entirely and then use repair account to bring it back.

This happened sometimes on my retired Aura HD and it's happening with my Libra H2O now so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Any ideas why it breaks?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:47 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, I haven't seen that one.

The ToC graph is based on word counts for each chapter that are stored in the database. And I would expect that the reading time calculations use the word count as well. For sideloaded books, the word count is calculated when the book is first opened. If the books is very big, this can trigger the sickel reboot. The counts are stored as they are made, so it usually starts at the first one without a count.

For purchased books, Kobo should be downloading the word counts. They were doing the counts when opening the book, but, they changed that a while ago. I suppose if the download went wrong, then it could end up with bad data and you would get bad chapter graphs.

To fix it, did you try removing the book and downloading it again? The remove should remove all the chapter data. And the download should get it new. It might be a good idea to do something in between to make sure that any cached data is cleared.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:58 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I've never seen the glitch occur on a sideloaded book, just when its downloaded from Kobo Store.

I've tried deleting and re-downloading the book, but the messed up graphs/time remains. I have to delete it from in Calibre (which removes it from the list of downloadable books) then repair account so it comes back.

I thought about trying to repair the ToC with Kobo Utilities but I'm not sure how that would work on a non-sideloaded book.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:15 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, the ToC update in the plugin shouldn't let you update purchased kepubs. It shows the book as having a not supported format. I'm not sure what happens if you actually try to do the ToC update.

It would be possible to update the database and set the word counts to -1. I would expect that would trigger the word count calculation like for a sideloaded book.

The other way I have fixed some issues is to archive the book. That removes it and all details from the device. Then you have to go to the library on the Kobo site and restore it from the archive. I'd be surprised if that doesn't solve it, but, I'm also surprised that the simple removal and download didn't.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote