Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-10-2022, 01:02 PM   #1
sergio0p
sergio0p began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Add a book from importing kepub file

I searched this forum but found lots of threads on exporting/making kepub files but I want to do the opposite. I have a kepub file (I assume) in the Kobo desktop directory on my Mac: it has a long file name and no extension. Calibre is not able to import it as it is. If I add the extension .zip, it imports and shows the title and author names correctly but the content appears as gibberish. I was expecting a message saying that the file is DRM but that does not happen. I'm not sure if the DDRM plugin will work on the file but my main problem is just to get the file in Calibre first. For this book, in the Kobo website, there is NO option to import it as an epub.

Last edited by sergio0p; 01-10-2022 at 01:04 PM. Reason: read similar post, clarifying the differences
sergio0p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:05 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Can you supply the name of the book? The only kepubs I've downloaded from Kobo that do not have a download option in the Actions menu are ones that were part of the Kobo Plus program.

As for copying a file from the Kobo desktop app to calibre? The Obok plugin will do that but, in my limited testing, it will show Kobo Plus books as not being DRMed and so the import will import an encrypted copy.

I tend to regard Kobo Plus books as I do library and Kindle Unlimited books. They aren't mine and I do not even bother trying to remove DRM to keep them around so basically, this is as far as I am willing to go with offering help.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:50 AM   #3
sergio0p
sergio0p began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Can you supply the name of the book? The only kepubs I've downloaded from Kobo that do not have a download option in the Actions menu are ones that were part of the Kobo Plus program.

As for copying a file from the Kobo desktop app to calibre? The Obok plugin will do that but, in my limited testing, it will show Kobo Plus books as not being DRMed and so the import will import an encrypted copy.

I tend to regard Kobo Plus books as I do library and Kindle Unlimited books. They aren't mine and I do not even bother trying to remove DRM to keep them around so basically, this is as far as I am willing to go with offering help.
I don't know what Kobo Plus books are. I bought this book. Here is the link to the book https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/gUXVb6sc2TO8wzm3FT1ZNw. The Japanese text is an image with tiny text so I cannot ZOOM or use a dictionary. I wanted to convert to PDF to be able to do use these.
sergio0p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:20 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I downloaded the preview of the book and it does appear that much of the Japanese text is images however those images were zoomable after I double tapped on them on my Kobo Sage.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
add book, kepub