Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
blisshome
blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: iPad/iPhone/MacBookPro
FIX4 - calibre ebook-view error in macos high sierra

I like to open new ebooks directly with calibre's ebook-viewer.app (found inside the calibre.app) so they are not copied and added to the calibre library, but since macos High Sierra I get the error: "ebook-viewer cannot be opened because of a problem".
My workaround is to run the ebook-viewer code (found inside the ebook-viewer.app) from the command line with the currently selected ebook filelpath as an argument. I created an ActionScript App that you can make the default "open" application for any particular ebook type (.epub in my case). It only opens one book at a time. Here's the ActionScript:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ebook-Viewer.png
Views:	330
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	160551

Last edited by PeterT; 12-10-2017 at 02:20 PM.
blisshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for sharing

BTW I moved your thread out of the Recipes subforum, because that sub-forum is about news downloads 'scripts'. And I tweaked this threads title.

Oh,and welcome to Mobileread

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-11-2017 at 02:20 AM. Reason: add welcome msg
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
I am very unexperienced with Macs, so I may be completely off here, but I am able to open ebooks using High Sierra using a right-click "open with ebook-viewer". I am not a MacBook power user by any means, just use it for content consumption and programming javascript but I haven't encountered this error. I wonder what is being done differently.

Welcome to MobileRead!

Last edited by Pizza_Cant_Read; 12-12-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
blisshome
blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'blisshome can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: iPad/iPhone/MacBookPro
Thanks for the feedback Pizza_Cant_Read. A while back I stopped getting "ebook-viewer.app" as a menu choice when right-clicking an epub file and choosing "Open With". I solved the problem by opening the calibre.app and copying the ebook-viewer.app file to my Applications folder and made it the default app to open epubs. It worked fine for a while, then after High Sierra it mysteriously stopped working. After I created my workaround, I deleted the copy of ebook-view.app I'd put into my Applications folder. Now, after reading your post I double-checked my right-click menu choices and lo and behold "Open With" once again offers "ebook-view.app" and it works fine. After programming for 20 years, all I can say is "Go figure" and move on. At least I have a workaround if it goes wonky again.
blisshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisshome View Post
. . . lo and behold "Open With" once again offers "ebook-view.app" and it works fine. After programming for 20 years, all I can say is "Go figure" and move on. At least I have a workaround if it goes wonky again.
Happens to all of us ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=13

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert