Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-30-2017, 03:33 AM   #31
libertytrooper
libertytrooper doesn't litterlibertytrooper doesn't litterlibertytrooper doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
After all this, I think I'll just stick to calibre 2.x
I don't know what advantage that would give you with regard to the questions asked?
libertytrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #32
ckronengold
ckronengold began at the beginning.

Device: kindle basic
Sorry to bump an old thread, but my UC is slightly different. Just want to make sure I'm not wasting time and energy.

I'm running Calibre Server on my Ubuntu machine, which I use as a media and web server, for Plex, other music servers, etc. Figured I'd add Calibre to it to keep consistent. Calibre Server is running as a service and starts whenever the machine is booted.

In the current setup, can I not access the library via GUI on my main windows machine, which is my day to day computer? Or would I need to shut down the server in order to access the library, and then restart it? I guess I could do this all via SSH pretty easily if that was the only hiccup. I just want to make sure I'm understanding the situation properly before getting frustrated.
ckronengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre Server or Calibre (GUI). That is the rule.
If the server is not headless, why not leave Calibre (GUI) running minimized (with sharing configured)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:16 PM   #34
ckronengold
ckronengold began at the beginning.

Device: kindle basic
I basically run it headless 99% of the time, but like the GUI to cheat a little bit when I have to.
I'm still not totally comfortable with CLI only. I've made a few mistakes in the learning process that were pretty catastrophic and completely avoidable. So I generally use the GUI to confirm that things are in place and working as they should be.

But 99% of the time, the server is running with no user logged in. Its just a media server running Plex, AssetUPnP, and now Calibre.

I thought I could use the Calibre GUI on my windows machine for adding titles to my kindle or sending to my wife's kindle from within the interface. I always liked how Calibre works as a program. I was just attracted to the server aspect of it more recently.

Still, you didn't quite answer my question. Can you access the library from a local Windows machine if you stop the server via SSH/Putty first? If not, I'll probably just run two identical libraries and sync an "AddTo" folder and let the Server do its thing automagically.
ckronengold is offline   Reply With Quote