Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #406
ThatBookGuy
ThatBookGuy began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 1 + 3
I own one inkpad for a year, and the other one is just a few days in use. Both don't show any sign of ghosting.
ThatBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #407
joepie
Zealot
joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Inkpad 3 -> Onyx Boox Nova 3
Is it possible that your refresh rate is set to a high number of pages?
Personally I set that parameter to "never", so I have ghosting all the time. I don't care for it much, but of course you can set it to refresh every page and it should be gone then I think.
joepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #408
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Joepie I hadn't thought of that and will check it, thanks.
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #409
trewelu
Enthusiast
trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PaperWhite 2013, Pocketbook InkPad2.
Finally pull the trigger and ordered an Inkpad 2. Do we have a compatible app listing here for inkpad (or newer pocketbook in general)? I know there is the comic viewer, remote ink, cool reader, koreader, but not sure about anything else
trewelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #410
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I updated the wiki page for the InkPad 2. the major features seem to be: the improved optical properties of the screen with increase contrast, updated design, ergonomic mechanical paging buttons and lightweight housing. The weight dropped significantly. The color went from brown to gray.
PocketBook InkPad 2

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2016, 11:48 PM   #411
trewelu
Enthusiast
trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.

Inkpad2 lost the brightness slider though. The reduced weight is what make me pick that over the original one.

Here is some translated review of the inkpad 2, with some comparison photo to original inkpad
Old 09-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #412
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewelu View Post
Inkpad2 lost the brightness slider though. The reduced weight is what make me pick that over the original one.

Here is some translated review of the inkpad 2, with some comparison photo to original inkpad
How do you adjust the brightness on the new InkPad?

Dale
Old 09-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #413
hamoriz
hamoriz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Hi
I updated my Inkpad with Firmware 5.11 and after some weeks I ran into a problem. The internal storage seems to be readonly now. After connecting to PC and removing/adding books has no effect. Even bookmarks are lost after switching off and on. When reinstalling/downgrading firmware, the install stops by updating filesystem step. Has anyone experienced such an issue? Does it sound a hardware problem? Thanks Zoltan
hamoriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #414
trewelu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
How do you adjust the brightness on the new InkPad?

Dale
I think you need to open the notification bar and use the software slider there. I wonder if the weight reduction is mostly from removing that hardware slider..
Old 09-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #415
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewelu View Post
I think you need to open the notification bar and use the software slider there. I wonder if the weight reduction is mostly from removing that hardware slider..
Ha Ha, I suspect the entire case was redone with a light plastic version. Since i asked you I downloaded the manual and did find that the notification bar seems the only way to adjust the brightness. The screen was also redone and it may be lighter as well. I was disappointed that they didn't shift to a carta screen. How does the new screen compare. It really looks like this unit has many of the features that folks really want.

Dale
Old 09-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #416
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamoriz View Post
Hi
I updated my Inkpad with Firmware 5.11 and after some weeks I ran into a problem. The internal storage seems to be readonly now. After connecting to PC and removing/adding books has no effect. Even bookmarks are lost after switching off and on. When reinstalling/downgrading firmware, the install stops by updating filesystem step. Has anyone experienced such an issue? Does it sound a hardware problem? Thanks Zoltan
My amateur opinion is that the internal memory is starting to fail, and the filesystem is switched to read-only mode as soon as the kernel sees the hardware error messages. It may also be that the filesystem simply got corrupted and needs to be scanned and corrected before being used. That usually happens during boot-up, though, so it should have been done.

You can try installing a terminal application on the SD card (in /applications/), and using it to look at kernel messages (using the "dmesg" command). You would probably see any error messages generated by the filesystem before it went to read-only mode. You can use the "pbterm" application right on the device to get a terminal, or install "utelnetd" and log in over WiFi. Both applications can be found by searching this forum.

If the memory is failing, you would have to send the device back to be repaired.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #417
trewelu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Ha Ha, I suspect the entire case was redone with a light plastic version. Since i asked you I downloaded the manual and did find that the notification bar seems the only way to adjust the brightness. The screen was also redone and it may be lighter as well. I was disappointed that they didn't shift to a carta screen. How does the new screen compare. It really looks like this unit has many of the features that folks really want.

Dale
I liked my aura hd dedicated light switch. With sleep cover, I essentially trade one press start reading to one press start reading on the dark. I sold it as I thought it is too close to prs-t1 and it is the one sold first. But then I miss the light and resolution . Hopefully the inkpad even larger screen will give enough reason to use both inkpad alongside smaller prs-t2 regularly

I haven't received my unit yet, probably around 10th of October. I will let you know how it compare to prs-t2 (pearl), or kindle paperwhite 1 (old carta, if i still hold on that device by then). I don't think i have used newer carta.

As far as i know there is no 8" Carta before Aura One. And from the look of it, it might be custom made for kobo. Similar to how Aura HD was the first one to use 6.8", or 14xx by 10xx resolution.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:55 AM   #418
ThatBookGuy
ThatBookGuy began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 1 + 3
I have read somewhere that only Pearl manufactures hires screens bigger than 6 inches, so I think they had no choice to switch to another display.

Last edited by ThatBookGuy; 09-23-2016 at 06:58 AM.
ThatBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:29 AM   #419
tsorin
tsorin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Hello,

Can somebody compare contrast of Pocketbook Inkpad 2 with Kindle 3? I am thinking of upgrading my old Kindle keyboard to Inkpad 2 or to Aura One. What I do not like about Aura One is that I cannot use folder / subfolder structure. And I have to move all books trough Calibre. I have now duokan on kindle and it works perfectly.

Is contrast of Inkpad at least comparable with Kindle 3?
tsorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #420
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
tsorin, have you tried Cool Reader 3 on Aura One?
It is supposed to support all Kobo models from Kobo Touch up.
It certainly works on Aura HD and on Aura H2O.
Cool Reader 3 has its own built-in file manager so you can use folder/subfolder structure and forget Calibre. Just name your book root folder with a dot, for example: .BOOKS,
then Kobo software will not attempt to index your books and there will be no slow down

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272733

Cool Reader 3 is included into that package and it is free, even though some games are not.
Dictionaries (in StarDict format) are supported and working on Aura HD/H2O although their usage is not as convenient and flexible as I would like.

To make this post on topic: this Cool Reader version hopefully works on InkPad 2 as well, because it works on InkPad (I have not tested personally).
But I am interested if it works on InkPad 2.
There is another Cool Reader version for InkPad (hopefully for InkPad 2 as well), though:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=256917

Last edited by parkher; 09-27-2016 at 12:19 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote