Notices

Old 05-04-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
jayajha
InstaScribe Creator
jayajha doesn't litterjayajha doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Blog Tour Experience Stories?

Hello everyone,

I wanted to understand the idea and effectiveness of blog tours for book promotions. I searched the forum, but could not find a recent thread about it.

Could you share your experiences of blog tour? Specifically how did you go about organizing them and how effective they were?

Regards
Jaya
jayajha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have not done one yet, but from what I can tell from talking with fellow authors they do not seem to effective.

If you decide to try one, There are plenty of companies out there that will run tours for you and have all the contacts in place. For example, I have been told this one is good:

Reading Addiction Virtual Book Tours
http://readingaddictionvbt.blogspot.com/

Still considering trying one just because I have not yet. I do not see how they could HURT that is for sure.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2014, 06:34 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Still considering trying one just because I have not yet. I do not see how they could HURT that is for sure.
It could waste a lot of time that you'd otherwise spend more productively.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
jayajha
InstaScribe Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I have not done one yet, but from what I can tell from talking with fellow authors they do not seem to effective.

If you decide to try one, There are plenty of companies out there that will run tours for you and have all the contacts in place. For example, I have been told this one is good:

Reading Addiction Virtual Book Tours
http://readingaddictionvbt.blogspot.com/

Thanks a lot for answering. If you try, please do share your experiences.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
jayajha
InstaScribe Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Did you find it unproductive, then?
Advert
Old 05-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not something I've personally done. Just responding to Vincent's comment that he couldn't see any down-sides to it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well - I would see it as an experiment. Even a failure teaches you and you get value out of it.

But in all likelihood I probably won't bother since I have very little reason to believe it will be a positive experience.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Sorry -- off topic. My netbook burped.

Last edited by cromag; 05-05-2014 at 03:34 PM.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
Lima Bean
Groupie
Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm in the middle of a very long Orangeberry book tour (Jan. though Aug.). I won't know until I get to the end of it if I got anything out of it, but if I had to answer you today I'd say no.

My guest posts are showing up on the various blogs in timely fashion, but this is material generated by me, not the bloggers.

I have been told reviews will be posted at the very end of the tour, so I'm hoping this will make a difference. The promotion has been running for five months, and as far as I can tell, there hasn't been a single tour-related sale.

I'll try to remember this thread and chime in again come August, after the book reviews go up.

Last edited by Lima Bean; 05-09-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Lima Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
Lima Bean
Groupie
Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't forgetten about this thread. It's just that my Orangeberry Blog tour is still running. I don't know why. If I remember correctly was scheduled to end at the beginning of August. When I went back to my online blog tour itinerary a few weeks ago, I noticed it was changed to August 28th. Between now and then another blog tour stop has been added to the end of the list without explanation and there's no date given. A delay tactic? Maybe. None of my reviews are up yet. Now I'm going, hmmmm. Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I don't think so. Thus far the long tour hasn't helped me with sales, but I do have a sliver of hope that the reviews will help pull in a few new readers.

Stay tuned...
Old 09-07-2014, 01:20 AM   #11
zerofatzreturns
zerofatzreturns began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
If you were selling your book from your own blog then you could set up google analytics on it and you could measure the effectiveness of the tour. You could easily see how much traffic the tour was generating to your blog and where that traffic was coming from. I think it's an awesome idea.
zerofatzreturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:01 AM   #12
Lima Bean
Groupie

I meant to get back to this thread. My advice . . . stay clear of Orangberry. A total waste of time and money.

If memory serves, I was supposed to get 20-something reviews. Orangeberry even sent me a list of all of the tour stops, including the bloggers who had agreed to do reviews, and the dates on which they would appear.

All that got posted during my tour was the author interviews they asked me to fill out beforehand. I got zero reviews from their bloggers. After numerous inquiries, toward the end of the tour, the owner told me she was ill and that's why the reviews didn't happen.

Not wanting to stress out someone who was seriously ill, I let it go. But I couldn't help to wonder why her illness stopped twenty independent bloggers from reading and reviewing my book. Could the owner of Orangeberry and all of the bloggers on the tour be the same person? I asked myself. I cannot prove it with the evidence at hand, but I'm satisfied that I know the answer to that question. Anyway, she offered no refund or remedy. The tour generated zero buzz and probably zero sales.

Edit: a forum member just PM'd me to say that the owner of Orangeberry has started a new tour company called Booktour.tips. Different name, same story, so beware.

Booktour.tips and Orangeberry Tours . . . just don't.

Last edited by Lima Bean; 01-08-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:55 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Bean View Post
I meant to get back to this thread. My advice . . . stay clear of Orangberry. A total waste of time and money.

If memory serves, I was supposed to get 20-something reviews. Orangeberry even sent me a list of all of the tour stops, including the bloggers who had agreed to do reviews, and the dates on which they would appear.

All that got posted during my tour was the author interviews they asked me to fill out beforehand. I got zero reviews from their bloggers. After numerous inquiries, toward the end of the tour, the owner told me she was ill and that's why the reviews didn't happen.

Not wanting to stress out someone who was seriously ill, I let it go. But I couldn't help to wonder why her illness stopped twenty independent bloggers from reading and reviewing my book. Could the owner of Orangeberry and all of the bloggers on the tour be the same person? I asked myself. I cannot prove it with the evidence at hand, but I'm satisfied that I know the answer to that question. Anyway, she offered no refund or remedy. The tour generated zero buzz and probably zero sales.

Edit: a forum member just PM'd me to say that the owner of Orangeberry has started a new tour company called Booktour.tips. Different name, same story, so beware.

Booktour.tips and Orangeberry Tours . . . just don't.

Sorry you had a bad experience with this scammer.

Yes, I would call that a SCAM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #14
N. D. Iverson
N. D. Iverson began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for the heads up! I'll make sure to avoid them.

I have an upcoming tour with Goddess Fish Promotions in February and they seem professional so far. But I guess the results will speak for themselves in the end.
N. D. Iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #15
bookblogger
bookblogger began at the beginning.

Device: non
Wow, that's a terrible experience.

I've hosted a lot of book tour stops on my blog for different companies.

Fire and Ice Book Promos
Tasty Book Tours
and Goddess Fish... they are all the real deal.
bookblogger is offline   Reply With Quote