Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2008, 04:21 AM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Borders books??

I thought sony had partnered with Borders for the 505. Yet when I try to go to the borders website to look for books it redirects me to amazon. Isn't the Kindle competition for the 505 or is Amazon playing both markets??

Jerry
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Yes, isn't that strange? Amazon runs Borders website for some reason. I don't know why.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
IF that is the case how do you wade thru all the titles and find the BBeB FORMAT??
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
From ZD Net dated Jan16, 2008
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6226390.html

Borders to break free of Amazon

Borders views the launch of its new Web site as a chance to control its own destiny and help spur a turnaround at the book retailer, executives say.

Borders has been running its site in an alliance with Amazon.com since 1991. Amazon has operated the site, while Borders got a portion of the sales from Borders.com.

But that will change in its fiscal first quarter--which starts February 3--when Borders' agreement with Amazon is no longer in effect, and it launches its new Web site on its own.

"We're literally starting with a blank page," Rob Gruen, executive vice president of merchandising and marketing at Borders, said Tuesday of its efforts to build its own Web site.

While the retailer may be late to the game, executives said that developing a site from scratch has allowed it to closely integrate its online efforts with its store operations and try to mimic an in-store experience online.

"We really want it to feel comfortable for people who love to come into bookstores," said Kevin Ertell, vice president of e-business for Borders.

For instance, on the beta version of the site that Borders launched late last year, it has developed a "magic shelf," which is a virtual bookcase that displays recommended books, movies and music.

While shoppers cannot yet buy items on the beta site, Ertell said one function that was very popular with customers this past holiday season was the ability to check to see if an item shown online was in stock at a local store.

If it was, customers could then reserve the item online and pick it up at their nearest store.

Ertell said Borders hopes customers will then spend more money in stores when they pick their reserved books.

Borders, the No. 2 U.S. bookseller behind Barnes & Noble, is taking on the responsibility of its Web site as part of a larger turnaround plan, which it began last year.

It is closing underperforming Waldenbooks stores, weighing options for its international units, and refocusing on its core U.S. store operations.

Borders reported in November a $161.1 million net loss in its third quarter compared with a $39.1 million loss a year earlier.

The retailer is trying to fend off competition not only from Barnes & Noble, but also from online retailers, where consumers have been turning for cheaper books, CDs and DVDs.

Gruen said Borders does not intend to compete on price, although its prices will be "competitive."

"We probably won't be the lowest price consistently out there, but we really believe that the customer comes to us for a broader experience than just our price, and it's just up to us to make sure we deliver on that promise," Gruen said.

To take advantage of the 23.5 million customers enrolled in its "Borders Rewards" loyalty program, it will let customers earn rewards for shopping online on the new site, something they cannot do now.

Borders may also offer MP3 music downloads on its Web site as CD sales wane.

"We know that the customer is downloading music," Gruen said. "We're looking at how do we incorporate that into the whole process."

Right now, the retailer is testing "mix and burn," where customers can come into its stores to develop their own CDs. In the first quarter, Borders will also launch a "concept" store to test different ways to be more interactive with its shoppers.

Anne Roman, a company spokeswomen, said Borders has not disclosed how many users have visited its beta Web site, but she said the retailer sees the site, when it launches, "as a revenue producer" that will eventually "be an important part of future income generation."

http://beta.bordersstores.com/online...185&kids=false

Last edited by The Old Man; 01-26-2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: added link to Beta site
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
IF that is the case how do you wade thru all the titles and find the BBeB FORMAT??
Let me go back and add something to the original answer. There is no reason to buy a 505 from Border.com other than no one else has one in stock. It's available in bunches of other stores and sites.

As for ebooks, they are only sold by Sony using their software on a Windows PC. You can download a copy of the software here.

Edit: I erred in saying that only Sony sells its format. I should have said that only Sony sells the DRMed ebooks.
Advert
Old 01-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
As for ebooks, they are only sold by Sony using their software on a Windows PC. You can download a copy of the software here.
I thought that Borders was going to sell Sony Reader format books at their new web-site, but the couple of times I've gone to the beta web-site I can find no link for such books. So then where is the Borders/Sony partnership?

Can someone enlighten us on the future available of Sony books at the Borders web-site?
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I recently bought my 505 at a local Borders store. I paid the full retail price.
When I removed the Pro Duo empty card from its slot to insert a new card the card would not seat. It kept jumping back out. Trying to re-insert the original blank card produced the same result.

I took the unit, with all original packaging and sales slip back to Borders. They exchanged it for a new one. No problem – no questions – no hassle. There is something to be said for buying locally. The new unit has been working fine.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

All we know is what was announced in the press releases.

So far as I can tell, all they've done so far is issue press releases.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
You mean we can pay Borders high prices online now, too?!? YAY!!!!

Actually, I really like Borders.... that Borders Rewards Program they have actually keeps it from being economic suicide to shop there. And it's free! But I get a coupon for 25-30% on a book almost every week which lets me shop in a brick and mortar store without feeling like I'm getting hosed.

Otherwise, I buy almost everything from Amazon.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
safjazz
safjazz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505
Wouldn't it be cool if the Borders Rewards Program encompassed e-books as well? I doubt it will. ::sigh::

I'd really like to be able to go to the Borders site and check e-book availability. If the book isn't available as an e-book, then I could check the store inventory and pick up the book locally.

From that ZDnet story, that sounds possible.

I think Borders is going in a good direction. Now, it just needs more e-book titles. I assume it will expand Sony's current titles, so it can compete with Amazon better.
safjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by safjazz View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if the Borders Rewards Program encompassed e-books as well? I doubt it will. ::sigh::
why would you doubt that?

they say
"To take advantage of the 23.5 million customers enrolled in its "Borders Rewards" loyalty program, it will let customers earn rewards for shopping online on the new site, something they cannot do now."

I doubt any items especially ebooks would be an exception to that... what would be the point?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #12
safjazz
safjazz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505
E-Books are exceptions to Borders Rewards

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I doubt any items especially ebooks would be an exception to that... what would be the point?
E-books are exceptions now. This is from the Borders Rewards coupon I received Jan. 24.

"Excludes previous and online purchases, gift cards, periodicals, comics, non-stock special orders, coupon books, eBooks, digital downloads, Rosetta Stone® software, shipping, and all electronics, including the Sony® Reader and the Zune™."
safjazz is offline   Reply With Quote