Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-05-2016, 12:14 AM   #31
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman156 View Post
Bit late to the party, but happened to read this thread.

The best way to punctuate the sentence is clearly: 'Her vulnerability, her inability to tolerate ridicule, had led her to kill another human being.'

Has she killed other human beings? Or is this her first and perhaps only? The sentence is ambiguous in that regard, despite the effort to punctuate it correctly.
I think the overwhelming consensus is that you are right.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #32
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Late here also but I agree with Pdurrant on #1 being technically correct.

My only bone to pick is "...had led her..." instead of "...led her..." Your past perfect tense is correct, I think, but out of favor.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #33
bookman156
Addict
bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's questionable whether the supposed motive force led her to do something or led to a situation arising. The sense of the sentence that I suppose is there is that she didn't intend to kill the person but it happened because of conditioning she was oblivious of until the situation arose and she'd ended up killing someone. She may of course still be oblivious of it, since it is the narrator speaking, not her. If that is the right reading, then her inability to tolerate ridicule didn't actually motivate her as such, but rather led to a situation arising. In other words, it didn't lead her to kill someone, rather it led to her killing someone. A subtle difference.

Last edited by bookman156; 04-05-2016 at 01:54 PM.
bookman156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:54 PM   #34
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I believe he meant 'another human being' as apart from herself.

Last edited by pendragginp; 04-12-2016 at 10:57 PM.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #35
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread. Probably totally moot now, but what about a dash or two:

'Her vulnerability -- an inability to tolerate ridicule -- had led her to kill another human being.'

I think that makes it more clear that you are describing one factor, not listing two.

There was just a DWT post about this.

Last edited by ApK; 04-13-2016 at 03:40 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #36
bookman156
Addict
bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I believe he meant 'another human being' as apart from herself.
Sure, I assume so too. But the ambiguity over whether it's another human being she's killed because she just can't stop killing human beings remains, as silly as it might be. In this case, most people won't notice the ambiguity because of idiomatic usage, but in some other case if an author doesn't notice an ambiguity they may end up with the reader reading something they didn't intend to write.
bookman156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:39 PM   #37
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread. Probably totally moot now, but what about a dash or two:

'Her vulnerability -- an inability to tolerate ridicule -- had led her to kill another human being.'

I think that makes it more clear that you are describing one factor, not listing two.

There was just a DWT post about this.
Agreed. Parenthetical expressions (of which this appears to be an example) should typically be surrounded by em dashes or parentheses, not commas. Using commas isn't per se incorrect, but using them around such phrases makes the sentence considerably harder to read.

I might also suggest changing "an" to "the":

Quote:
Her vulnerability—the inability to tolerate ridicule—had led her to kill another human being.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote