Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #61
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Would a higher mAh make any difference? I saw some GP (same brand that came with my jbl) NiMH rechargeables that claim to have a mAh of 3600. Never seen any that high. I really want to get rechargeables for the jbl that I bought for hubby but am concerned about the freeze problems people have been having when using rechargeables. Even buying a block of batteries pretty much offsets the benefits of the less expensive jbl. Hope Ectaco decides they need to do something about this issue and correct it for us.

Last edited by clerky96; 02-19-2010 at 06:05 PM.
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #62
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
With my rechargeable Duracells, the JBL starts with only 3 bars.

So does this mean that I should switch batteries when it drops to 2 bars?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #63
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Shamelessly copied from the other thread.

........"Been using rechargeables since the original batteries died.

No problems so far, except that the shutdown came almost immediately after the warning. When the batteries get down below half on the screen indicator, I change them at first opportunity. "................

Sounds like a good place to start Russell.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #64
TheBard
Bifocal Wearer
TheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura, Clara ...
Quote:
Would a higher mAh make any difference?
Yes. The higher mAh batteries should provide useable power for a longer period of time.

Quote:
(Saw some) NiMH rechargeables that claim to have a mAh of 3600. Never seen any that high.
Neither have I. That is higher than many alkalines!

Anecdote:

Not too long ago, I purchased some inexpensive "1800 mAh" AAA rechargeable NiMH batteries from an overseas vendor on eBay. I had never seen triple-A rechargeable batteries with such a high current rating. A few tests showed the batteries were more like 600 mAh than 1800 mAh. The vendor is no longer selling on eBay.

Yes, there IS a difference among batteries (even batteries of the same type), and there might be a difference among JBLs - and how they handle rechargeables. Ken Maltby's comment about lots of variability in the parameters is quite valid!

We may end up using the "empirical method" to determine compatibility of batteries ... (use whatever works for ya)

[Remember, if your JBL does "lock up", you probably can restore it by going through the long firmware update process, and save a mailing to Jetbook customer support. Be patient.]
TheBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #65
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
With my rechargeable Duracells, the JBL starts with only 3 bars.

So does this mean that I should switch batteries when it drops to 2 bars?
Are your batteries maybe old and aren't holding a full charge anymore? Mine shows a full bar when I change the batteries.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #66
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

cmbs, my batteries are brand new - got them for Christmas along with the JBL.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #67
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
cmbs, my batteries are brand new - got them for Christmas along with the JBL.
Does it shut itself off at two bars? Or lower than that? Mine shuts itself off at two bars. It seems to me we just need to not let it get to the point of shutting itself off. When you know how many bars it'll reach before shutting off, you know when to change batteries.

I'm using energizer 2500 mAh NiMH, if that makes any difference, and the bar is full when I change batteries.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:27 AM   #68
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Mine shuts off at one bar.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #69
remccainjr
remccainjr began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook lite
Bjorked.

Well, I got my JB-L in January and after some of the same symptoms described in this forum (rechargable death after 2 bars, etc.) mine finally died 2 days ago. I've tried all the solutions mentioned here - alkaline batteries, flash the eeprom, etc. but no luck.

It just sits at the jetbook Lite screen and stubbornly refuses to go any further.

I've sent off to customer support for an RMA number.
remccainjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #70
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by remccainjr View Post
Well, I got my JB-L in January and after some of the same symptoms described in this forum (rechargable death after 2 bars, etc.) mine finally died 2 days ago. I've tried all the solutions mentioned here - alkaline batteries, flash the eeprom, etc. but no luck.

It just sits at the jetbook Lite screen and stubbornly refuses to go any further.

Could you provide which firmware was running in your JBL, when these
symptoms occurred?

Also; the make and model of the rechargeable batteries involved.

It might help in getting a better picture of what is going on and where
the risks are.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #71
Linda!
Enthusiast
Linda! has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by remccainjr View Post
Do you plan to ask for a refund or for repair/replacement?

When I called for an RMA number, I was told that if I wanted my unit
repaired/replaced I wouldnt need an RMA number.
Linda! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #72
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
Well my lockup seemed a little different. My screen didn't blank it just froze. On reset it stuck on the Jetbook- Lite screen even when I tried to reload the firmware it froze same place for an hour. They replaced it. I wrote and asked what caused the problem, ie hardware or software? This is the replay I got via email

Thank You for Your email.
This is not the problem of neither hardware, nor software. This is the problem of compatibility of hardware with software. We are planning to release new updates shortly that would exclude such problems in future. Updates are available for free of charge for all Customers regardless date of purchase. Please, feel free to contact me if You have any questions.

So to me if they are gonna fix it with a firmware update then its a software problem.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #73
TheBard
Bifocal Wearer
TheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura, Clara ...
Quote:
We are planning to release new updates shortly that would exclude such problems in future.
That is good news.
Also, in another thread, a JetBook person promised new fonts.
Great to see there is a company that provides post-sale services such as this. Hopefully the "fixes" will appear in the not too distant future (and work, as well).
TheBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #74
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
I just had my Jetbook Lite lockup on me exactly the same way it did before when I had to send it back for replacement. Considering I have only had the replacement MAYBE a month, I am not at ALL happy with the Jetbook Lite at this time. I hope to God that I can get a refund on the jbl. Once might be unfortunate. 2 times in 3 months is a a very bad trend and I really don't want to pay to ship the bloody thing back every month or 2 until the warrenty runs out and than I am just out of luck all together.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #75
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Highroller, I'm curious if you bought your jbl from Ectaco or from somewhere else. I know that Newegg only warranties for 30 days, so would Ectaco refund money that you paid to Newegg? Doesn't seem like they would but maybe I am looking at this wrong. This problem does not seem to be getting resolved, and if they don't get it fixed soon, the word will get out and as far as I am concerned, their product will be worthless. Has this only happened when rechargeables were used? That seems to be an issue, and not being able to use rechargeables could be another big negative of the value of this reader.
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote