Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #1696
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I just want to turn off my bedroom light without getting up. I have simple needs.
Me too! I put one bulb in the light fixture in my bedroom so I could turn it on or off when I need to get up in the night. The switch is a ways from the bed. I put another on my front porch and I can turn it on or off and set the brightness from anywhere. I also like that my bulbs can be set to timers. My porch light is set to come on each night at sunset and turn off each morning at sunrise. The bulb gets the sunrise/sunset info daily and updates accordingly. Pretty cool.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	porch-light.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	155843  
Old 03-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #1697
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Me too! I put one bulb in the light fixture in my bedroom so I could turn it on or off when I need to get up in the night. The switch is a ways from the bed. I put another on my front porch and I can turn it on or off and set the brightness from anywhere. I also like that my bulbs can be set to timers. My porch light is set to come on each night at sunset and turn off each morning at sunrise. The bulb gets the sunrise/sunset info daily and updates accordingly. Pretty cool.
My porch light does the same, no wifi needed.
https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-2-Pack-B...dp/B01IN0I2F8/
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2017, 06:23 PM   #1698
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Sharpe, the OP, merely stated:

Since the OP never states that the word computer was spoken, how do you therefore KNOW the word computer was used? I hope you are not a lawyer, nor a scientist as far as that goes. Perhaps if the OP stated that word was used, but since this thread is filled with posts stating Alexa heard a word that was never spoken, it would be merely an assumption to think it was. They might have been selling blenders or Instant Pots for all we know.

Take another look at the attached. graphic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1490653406.904185.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	155845
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:15 PM   #1699
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:56 PM   #1700
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I am so not going to show that to my dog!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2017, 06:17 PM   #1701
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon's jumping the gun a bit. It's not April Fools' Day yet
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:46 PM   #1702
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Amazon's jumping the gun a bit. It's not April Fools' Day yet
My company did the same thing...posted a press release on our intranet today with a very cute gag. They even used 4/1 as the dateline.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:26 PM   #1703
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Alexa, what is Petlexa?"
Old 04-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #1704
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Any Alexa skill can now be used without enabling it first

Quote:
Alexa skills are the equivilant of apps for Amazon’s voice assistant, and the company has incrementally been making it easier to use new skills. You first had to use the Alexa app to enable a skill before it could be accessed, but then Amazon added the ability to enable a skill using your voice. Now they’ve taken it a step further by making it possible to simply say “Alexa, open [SKILL NAME]” and it will immediately be available without first having to enable it.

This new capability really just combines two steps into one. Where you used to have to first say “Alexa, enable [SKILL NAME]” followed by “Alexa, open [SKILL NAME],” now Amazon does the first step for you if you ask to open a skill you don’t already have enabled.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #1705
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
That makes sense and easier is better in this case.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #1706
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #1707
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is Alexa "context sensitive", in the way that Google's voice assistant (whose name escapes me) is, but Apple's Siri is not? Ie does it remember the context of a previous question?

So could I say:

"Alexa, how tall is the Eiffel Tower?"

and then:

"When was it built?"
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #1708
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is Alexa "context sensitive", in the way that Google's voice assistant (whose name escapes me) is, but Apple's Siri is not? Ie does it remember the context of a previous question?

So could I say:

and then:

"When was it built?"
Apparently not. I just tried your questions and I got an answer to the height of the Eiffel Tower, but Alexa had no clue about when it was built because she didn't know I was asking a question related to the previous subject, the Eiffel Tower.

Last edited by jswinden; 04-05-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #1709
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Apparently not. I just tried your questions and I got an answer to the height of the Eiffel Tower, but Alexa had no clue about when it was built because she didn't know I was asking a question related to the previous subject, the Eiffel Tower.
Yes, Siri works the same way. It's a nice feature of the Google assistant that it does keep track of what you're talking about. Makes for more natural conversations.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #1710
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

So could I say:

and then:

"When was it built?"
It doesn't work. You have to say: "Alexa, when was the Eiffel Tower built?"