Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
iPod Classic Bites the Dust

Apple finally pulled the plug and retired the iPod Classic. It's no more.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Yeah. Sad, but it was its time. I was a teenager with a small collection of albums, and now I'm an adult with a massive amount of albums, audiobooks, movies, TV shows, and the like. I will always depend on iTunes, but the hardware no longer meets my needs storage wise anymore.

But while the hardware is gone, the memories I had with it aren't.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool iPod Classic Bites the Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Apple finally pulled the plug and retired the iPod Classic. It's no more.

alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:07 AM   #4
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I will always depend on iTunes, but the hardware no longer meets my needs storage wise anymore.
But all the other iPods etc. have a lot less storage. My iPod Classic 80 GB is the only piece of Apple hardware I own, and I really like it. It's going strong as on day one, having survived over six years of heavy (and sometimes rough) use. I only listen to lossless music, and it's still a lot of that which fits on it. I'm not sure if there's another device on the market that can match the Classic's storage capacity and sturdiness for a reasonable price. Po? No! Perhaps I should get a spare one as long as it's possible...

And having to use bloody iTunes is the only downside. I only put up with it because the iPod is such a great little player.

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 09-12-2014 at 12:11 AM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:00 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
But all the other iPods etc. have a lot less storage. My iPod Classic 80 GB is the only piece of Apple hardware I own, and I really like it.
Interesting timing. The new iPhones get 128 GB versions and the Classic disappears.
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 02:26 AM   #6
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Interesting timing. The new iPhones get 128 GB versions and the Classic disappears.
Yep. Though the current Classic has 160 GB. And Apple can do what they want, I'm not going to listen to my music on a phone, and I'm not going to buy an overpriced iPhone. I need a dedicated music player, and there are alternatives to the iPod.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But all the other iPods etc. have a lot less storage. My iPod Classic 80 GB is the only piece of Apple hardware I own, and I really like it. It's going strong as on day one, having survived over six years of heavy (and sometimes rough) use. I only listen to lossless music, and it's still a lot of that which fits on it. I'm not sure if there's another device on the market that can match the Classic's storage capacity and sturdiness for a reasonable price. Po? No! Perhaps I should get a spare one as long as it's possible...

And having to use bloody iTunes is the only downside. I only put up with it because the iPod is such a great little player.
In the 11 years I've used iTunes, I've never had an issue. It has always worked for me, whether I was using Windows or a Mac.

All my music is in the AAC format. They're as small as you can get them without noticeable differences in quality.

You can either get a spare, or maybe look at the Zune, but that also was discontinued years ago.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I need a dedicated music player, and there are alternatives to the iPod.
Same here; and I prefer the Sansa Clip Zip for that role. 8GB onboard + 32GB mSD card and I'm good to go - music, audiobooks, podcasts, and FM radio.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Yep. Though the current Classic has 160 GB. And Apple can do what they want, I'm not going to listen to my music on a phone, and I'm not going to buy an overpriced iPhone. I need a dedicated music player, and there are alternatives to the iPod.
Purely as a matter of interest, why would you not use a phone as a music player? What's wrong with the principle of it, I mean? I find that my iPhone makes an entirely satisfactory music player, and it's something that I always have with me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
ugh, i hope mine lasts forever then, i have the 120gb one, i think for 5 years, and I love it. If they asked me to chose between my iPod and my smartphone i'd pick my iPod. (and I've never had any issue with iTunes, it just works.)
I, too, wouldn't want to use my phone for music, mainly because of battery drain, if I'm listening to music, I listen to at least 3h a day, as it is my phone needs re-charging every day or every 2days, if I start listening to music, then i have no battery left for phoning.
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Purely as a matter of interest, why would you not use a phone as a music player? What's wrong with the principle of it, I mean? I find that my iPhone makes an entirely satisfactory music player, and it's something that I always have with me.
Because music, photos, videos, and apps cannot coexist in the same device without problems and having to deal with them on a day to day basis. I will gladly use my iPhone for Amazon Prime Music and iTunes Radio. But I don't want to be in the situation where I can't use my camera because I have gigs of music taking up that remaining space. I don't have a problem having to offload stuff in general, but I don't bring a computer with me on trips to do so anymore.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #12
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I guess mainly it's a matter of personal preference. I like having different devices for different activities; it just feels more natural to me. I hardly even use the "smart" functions of my smartphone. Having to pick up the phone while listening to music on the same machine would make me nervous.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #13
Rps
Grammar and Grandpa!
Rps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one hand

Device: Kobo Aura HD, iPad Air
I bought my wife one for her birthday the second year they came out. Also bought her the Bose iPod base/sound system. Both still work flawlessly. One would wonder how well the new ones will last ..... Will miss it if and when I goes.
Rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #14
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
My 160GB Classic is always full. I'm constantly taking music off in order to add new albums. I don't want to use my phone for music because I want it for apps and other things. Moreover, the battery on my phone is lousy; the battery on my iPod is much better. To me, they are two very different devices serving very different purposes. I was really hoping (though with no good reason...) for an iPod Tera! (as in terabyte...). Oh, well.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post
ugh, i hope mine lasts forever then, i have the 120gb one, i think for 5 years, and I love it. If they asked me to chose between my iPod and my smartphone i'd pick my iPod. (and I've never had any issue with iTunes, it just works.)
I, too, wouldn't want to use my phone for music, mainly because of battery drain, if I'm listening to music, I listen to at least 3h a day, as it is my phone needs re-charging every day or every 2days, if I start listening to music, then i have no battery left for phoning.
Hubbys view as well, he has a 120gb 5 Gen he uses daily, his first ever apple purchase, since then we've had two iphone's, an ipod touch and 4 ipads. It's still his most used item. I have one as well which is a spare but he's so worried he's just ordered a 160GB
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote