View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Justified (centre) 67 45.89%
Left aligned (ragged right) 63 43.15%
Does not matter 16 10.96%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2017, 04:59 AM   #91
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
And yes, for the sake of good order, I know that 10.1 tablets are far too big
I find 10" tablets too large, even the lighter ones. I can't balance them in one hand... And I often read in bed, I'll prop up my reader against a pillow. It'll stand turn to landscape if I had auto-rotate on, while I prefer reading it in portrait. So, a two colum layout would be horrible! (top down? )

And one thing I really love about ereaders (in any form, if they be LCD or e-ink or any non-invented screen technology) is that I only have one page (fully justified, naturally!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #92
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks! How is full justify with hyphenation working out for you so far?
It seems better than the old hyphenation dictionary, and definitely better than fully justified with no hyphenation (I HATE the huge spaces between words)

I have run into a few times when there will be four or more hyphens on a page at the font size that I normally use,(18 lines of text per page) and to me at least, that's pretty ugly as well. While split words don't take me out as much as big spaces, they can be jarring, especially if the story I'm reading is at a slow point and I'm not immersed in it.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:32 PM   #93
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
[QUOTE=Sweetpea;3452122]...It'll stand turn to landscape if I had auto-rotate on, while I prefer reading it in portrait...[QUOTE]

Off Topic:

This just a note in case it helps someone; some reading applications allow one to lock only the reading screen to the orientation wanted, that without locking other apps which remain free to auto-rotate.

On Topic:

***Note that in my earlier post (and in the above) I was not promoting any type of reading device over another. Was just illustrating how screen contrast may affect the font size one chooses, with the result that screen contrast then indirectly affects justified word spacing. People can read on whatever they like as far as I am concerned.***
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
It seems better than the old hyphenation dictionary, and definitely better than fully justified with no hyphenation (I HATE the huge spaces between words)

I have run into a few times when there will be four or more hyphens on a page at the font size that I normally use,(18 lines of text per page) and to me at least, that's pretty ugly as well. While split words don't take me out as much as big spaces, they can be jarring, especially if the story I'm reading is at a slow point and I'm not immersed in it.

Shari
I could change the settings in the hyphenation dictionary for less hyphens. But the problem with less hyphens means maybe more gaps. I could do it and you could try it and see how that goes if you'd like.

When you are using left justify, there is no hyphenation and at the font size you use, you could get lines that are very different in length with a lot of space left at the end.

One other thing, when using full justified, the spaces between words gets changed as needed and you can sometimes fit more words on a line (without hyphenating) than you can with left justify. In left justify, the spaces are always the same size.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #95
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I could change the settings in the hyphenation dictionary for less hyphens. But the problem with less hyphens means maybe more gaps. I could do it and you could try it and see how that goes if you'd like.

When you are using left justify, there is no hyphenation and at the font size you use, you could get lines that are very different in length with a lot of space left at the end.

One other thing, when using full justified, the spaces between words gets changed as needed and you can sometimes fit more words on a line (without hyphenating) than you can with left justify. In left justify, the spaces are always the same size.
For whatever reason, the space at the end of the line doesn't bother me like the space between words in the same line does. I understand that this probably isn't normal, but it is how I am...I never claimed to be normal

I've finished the book I was reading on my Aura HD with the new hyphenation dictionary, and it was ok--I'm going to leave it set that way for a while and see how it goes.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #96
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
For whatever reason, the space at the end of the line doesn't bother me like the space between words in the same line does.

Me too. At least we have company in our lack of normality
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #97
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
For whatever reason, the space at the end of the line doesn't bother me like the space between words in the same line does. I understand that this probably isn't normal, but it is how I am...I never claimed to be normal
Shari
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
Actually if you look at the poll numbers it's normal to be ok with the left aligned text. 53% either prefer left aligned or say it doesn't bother them.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:23 PM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I've finished the book I was reading on my Aura HD with the new hyphenation dictionary, and it was ok--I'm going to leave it set that way for a while and see how it goes.

Shari
Thank you for giving this a try no matter the outcome. Please let me know the outcome when you decide what that is. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:23 PM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
If you don't mind, I'd like you to give the better hyphenation dictionary a try on your Kobo(s) and let me know how it goes with full justify and better hyphenation. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Actually if you look at the poll numbers it's normal to be ok with the left aligned text. 53% either prefer left aligned or say it doesn't bother them.
That or some didn't choose justified because the option is wrong. It's not centre. That may be throwing some people off and they may be voting incorrectly.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #101
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
It's a close vote!

Personally, I

text
that reads

t
h
i
s.

I'm quite confident that most everyone feels the way I do.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #102
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
LOL.

I use Hyphenate This on books converted for the KPW1 (I only hyphenate the AZW3). The KA1 seems to do it on its own, and for me, it's good enough.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #103
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Well, surprise, surprise. I tried reading with justification off and I find I don't mind it at all. No big spaces in between words is kind of nice. I don't even notice that the text isn't all lined up nice on the right. I think I'll keep it off.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:40 AM   #104
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Well, surprise, surprise. I tried reading with justification off and I find I don't mind it at all. No big spaces in between words is kind of nice. I don't even notice that the text isn't all lined up nice on the right. I think I'll keep it off.
Did you try installing the hyphenation dictionary I mentioned? The settings are such that hyphenation works better than the one installed with the firmware.