Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2019, 03:45 AM   #1
touring
Connoisseur
touring began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Restoring Clara from upgrade/factory reset

I used Kobo Utilities to store current book positions on Calibre, get shelves, check and back up the database. After noticing that there was a new version 4.18.13737 (mine was v.15.12920), I then used Utilities to update.

Somehow my Clara also went through a factory reset, and I then reloaded the books from Calibre. Do I need to use Utilities to restore reading position and can I also reload the same books into original shelves? Or should I restore the previous database to reinstate the old environment?

PS Why the weird version number change?

touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:06 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There are two ways you can do this. But, they start the same.

Once you have done the setup, resend the books to the device and unplug it to let them be imported. And then reconnect the device. Then either:

Restore the database, disconnect and power off the device. As long as you restored the books to the same place on the device, you should be at the same status as before. The big advantage of this is that it will restore the annotations.

Or:

Use Kobo Utilities to restore the reading status of the books. The advantage of this is that you don't have to restore the books to exactly the same location on the device.

As to the version number, if you are comparing "4.18.13737" to "v.15.12920", then you have a typo or something in the second number. That was probably "4.15.12920". If you are referring to the the jump from 4.15 to 4.18, there were versions released in between. One of them was for the Libra H2O only, the others were only out for a relatively short time before being replaces.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2019, 04:15 AM   #3
touring
Connoisseur

Thanks for the quick response David, that's very clear. As far as I know the books are back where they were, although it needed multiple reboots to complete the importing.

I don't have any annotations, will either/both methods restore books to shelves too?

Looks like I should have worn my glasses to read the version numbers

Last edited by touring; 11-30-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:55 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The collections are in the databases, so restoring the database will restore the collections. But, if you were using calibre to manage the collections, then the next time you connect the device, it should update the collections for either method.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:09 AM   #5
touring
Connoisseur

Thank you!
I haven't used Calibre to manage collections, but am very grateful for your utilities and the ease of restoring the environment!
Advert