Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
paperwhite battery charge???

sorry if this has been covered, I looked briefly, but anyway... I just got the paperwhite (no not the newest one). It seems that the battery is only lasting about a day and a half? I've tried it with airplane mode on and off, any other ideas as to what could be sucking so much battery usage?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
any other ideas as to what could be sucking so much battery usage?
Is something stuck indexing or did you just add a bunch of books? In my experience that can be a big battery drain on a Kindle.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
If you are talking about continuous reading with the "day and a half" then that's relatively normal; The estimate given by Amazon assumes that you are reading about half a hour daily -- not continuously for a month straight.

If you just got a new Paperwhite 2013 and decided to transfer all your old books, which seems more likely, it is almost definitely the indexing of all books (i.e. making them quicker searchable etc.).
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
From my little experiments with PW 1st generation:

I. Battery life: 13 hours 32 minutes - LED brightness: level 24 (Full blast)

II. Battery life: 47 hours 39 minutes - LED brightness: level 10

III. Battery life: 49 hours 35 minutes - LED brightness: level 0 (lowest level)

Wireless is always off in all trials. Battery life doesn't include the time when the device goes to sleep.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 10-05-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post

Wireless is always off in all trials. Battery life doesn't include the time when the device goes to sleep.
To add to that, I have 3g always on. I get about 10-12 hours with brightness at 12, I believe depending on whether I read books or newspapers/magazines. With newspapers, the constant 'jumping around' seems to drain the battery faster.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Stats look good.

Quote:

Those statistics look good to me. I recorded session information in an Excel spreadsheet for several PW 2012 cycles with light at 22 (of 24) and WiFi always on and got the following:
1. 10:29
2. 10:08

With WiFi off:
1. 12:07

I'm running my first cycle for the PW 2013 with WiFi on and the light at 16 (of 24). I don't have any results yet.

I took Blossom's advice and will only use the light on both PW's at 16 from now on. Light level 22 was really too bright for maximum comfort.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-06-2013 at 11:11 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
In addition to light level and wifi/3g on or off, would refresh choice affect battery usage? Meaning every page turn or every however many kindle defaults to.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
In addition to light level and wifi/3g on or off, would refresh choice affect battery usage? Meaning every page turn or every however many kindle defaults to.
I tried that and it doesn't make any difference.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:

OH!!! (Sorry about the tardiness of my response, I thought I had set myself up for email notification) I didn't know I could adjust the brightness! I had been wondering about that as it does hurt my eyes. I don't remember seeing that in the user guide?

Quote:
I tried that and it doesn't make any difference.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote