Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
PalmFiction 0.12a document reader for Palm OS

At PalmAddicts I stumbled today over PalmFiction, a free and open-source document reader for Palm OS-based devices. Although the project homepage is entirely in Russian, the download also includes English resource files.

I have no idea how it compares to other open-source e-book readers such as Plucker.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:52 AM   #2
Jeff Kirvin
Jeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it is

Device: Sprint Treo 650
It's damn impressive, and knocks Plucker into a cocked hat. The closest thing I've seen to it is the excellent uBook for the Pocket PC. This thing has got every option imaginable.

The only problem with it, and why I'm still using eReader for most of my reading, is that as an alpha, it's unfinished. For example, it can open a Word Doc, but all you'll see is a few garbage characters. The Word format decoding doesn't work yet. Neither does autoscrolling, though the option is there in the menu.

When this thing is finished, it's gonna rock.
Jeff Kirvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:42 AM   #3
Leipzig
Leipzig began at the beginning.

Device: SJ22
To correct garbled characters, try...

It actually does work... You have to change the "Charset" setting to "Windows" (default setting is Auto). To get there, you must first select the "Tune Profile" function in the menu where you will then see several tabs, select "Text screen" and then change the Charset to Windows and it works marvelously. Good luck!
Leipzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:55 AM   #4
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks for the tips everyone. I am going to test this baby!
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:48 PM   #5
mbrown
mbrown began at the beginning.

Device: Viso Neo
I have tried this program and it works great. Does it read chm files, and if so, how do I transfer the file to my Palm? I am using a Visor Neo, an old gift. If not, is there a program that will read chm files for the Palm OS? I am working on getting a new Palm now but until then, I need to be able to read these files.

Thanks
mbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #6
Jeff Kirvin
Jeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it isJeff Kirvin knows what time it is

Near as I can tell, you'll have to decompile the chm file back to HTML, then PalmFiction will read it normally. Google for "chm decompile" and see what turns up.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
mbrown
mbrown began at the beginning.

Device: Viso Neo
I have decompiled it fine, into a bunch of pages and images. How do I get them on the Visor Neo? Do I have to then convert it into a different format? Is there a different sync tool I can use that will let me put the html file on the pda?
mbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:43 PM   #8
Jeff Kirvin

Try using pdaConverter to convert the HTML to either Aportis or zTXT formats. It's at PalmGear.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:14 AM   #9
oldegrieze
oldegrieze began at the beginning.

Device: palm IIIxe
How do I load the document(s) to my Palm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Dunstan
At PalmAddicts I stumbled today over PalmFiction, a free and open-source document reader for Palm OS-based devices. Although the project homepage is entirely in Russian, the download also includes English resource files.

I have no idea how it compares to other open-source e-book readers such as Plucker.

It looks great but how do I load the documents to my Palm???
greetz
Marcel
oldegrieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:37 PM   #10
FjT
FjT began at the beginning.

Thought I would "bump" this thread up for those who have not heard of this great reader for the PalmOS. Version 0.13a is now out. http://palmfiction.sourceforge.net/
Is case you have not noticed there are also themes that can be downloaded to change the look of the toolbars and a converter to convert true type fonts. My favorite (looks great) is Comic Sans MS (14 point).
FjT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #11
FjT
FjT began at the beginning.

They just posted an English forum for Palmfiction. You can submit questions here: http://palmfiction.sourceforge.net/forum/forum2.html
FjT is offline   Reply With Quote