Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-04-2016, 03:43 AM   #31
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I still think that epub3 apps with built-in popup footnote support is the easiest way to handle this issue.

For testing purposes I looked into loading footnote definitions via jQuery .load(), but it only worked with the desktop version of ADE 4.5 and the Android version of Gitden Reader. (Unlike my first version, it doesn't work with Sigil, which is usually a bad sign.)
If you want to test this but have neither ADE 4.5. nor Gitden Reader for Android installed, simply unpack the epub and open the chapter files with a Web browser.

The code does the following:

1. It populates an empty div at the end of the chapter with a footnote definition loaded via the target id from an endnotes html file. (This part worked with most readers that support JavaScript.)

2. When the user selects the backlink it deletes the definition from the div and goes back to the footnote reference. (That part didn't work with all readers, however, it's quite possible that there's a bug in my very simple JavaScript code.)

(It should be possible to adapt my code so that it displays the div as a popup footnote, but I lack the skills to do it. Also it'd most likely duplicate the existing popup footnote function.)
Attached Files
File Type: epub jQuery_fn_epub3.epub (64.2 KB, 411 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:56 PM   #32
spinster
spinster began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro
I sympathize with Hitch:

"You know what? I'd LIKE it if this could exist. It would solve what is a fairly consistent problem for us, which is making clients happy that want internal linking, for this or that, for "many to one" (anchor/target) linking scenarios."

And my sympathies are with eschwatz:

“…from my perspective, every software that doesn't have a back button should be set on fire and dumped in a black hole, quickly before anyone notices it exists and tragically decides to try using it. This is the ideal solution, because ideally no reader apps/devices are missing such important functionality.”
spinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinster View Post
I sympathize with Hitch:

"You know what? I'd LIKE it if this could exist. It would solve what is a fairly consistent problem for us, which is making clients happy that want internal linking, for this or that, for "many to one" (anchor/target) linking scenarios."

And my sympathies are with eschwatz:

“…from my perspective, every software that doesn't have a back button should be set on fire and dumped in a black hole, quickly before anyone notices it exists and tragically decides to try using it. This is the ideal solution, because ideally no reader apps/devices are missing such important functionality.”
Ohhhh, my inner self really wants the "set it on fire" option, (I'll bring the marshmallows and wienies!) but my professional self has to live with the realities, LOL.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote