Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2016, 03:38 PM   #346
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Caudex 1.07

Caudex version 1.07 should work perfectly on Kobo devices without any changes, just unzip the TTF files into the /fonts directory on the device, safely eject, and reboot the device.

Version 1.06 fixed some problems that caused the KePub reader select the wrong font styles (bolditalic instead of regular etc.)

Version 1.07 has a new hyphen-minus glyph that sits at the same height as a hyphen, but with the spacing of a minus sign.

This font has good basic kerning, and includes the old-style 'kern' table needed for kerning to work in the KePub reader. It has no ligature substitutions enabled, but the hood of the f is very short and so the usual ligatures ff, fi, fl, etc. are not needed anyway. View a specimen at Google fonts.

Last edited by GeoffR; 06-06-2016 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Updated to version 1.07, includes new hyphen-minus
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:59 PM   #347
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I'm updating the Aura H2O fonts to those on my main reader, the Glo HD, and I'm very surprised to note that the two mysterious fonts that appeared in the middle of my sideloaded ones on the Glo HD (KBJ-TsukuMin PR5N RB and KBJ-UDKakugo PR6N M) are not in the Aura H2O list.

Both readers are on the 3.15.0 F/W, mark 5 or 6 as device appropriate. I don't understand why Kobo has different fonts for not so different devices.
I've used 3.15.0 on my H2O and I much prefer the current version 3.19. I highly suggest you upgrade both devices to the new 3.19 as it is much nicer than 3.15.0.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #348
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've used 3.15.0 on my H2O and I much prefer the current version 3.19. I highly suggest you upgrade both devices to the new 3.19 as it is much nicer than 3.15.0.
I don't know the benefits of 3.19 compared to 3.15, but all the later F/W have the enormous defect that I can't search the French and Dutch dictionaries. I have to use it the latter for my second French dictionary, the Littré, since I already use the German, Italian and Spanish dictionaries.

Kobo dictionaries are poor, but not allowing searching for French or Dutch makes it much worse.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #349
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I don't know the benefits of 3.19 compared to 3.15, but all the later F/W have the enormous defect that I can't search the French and Dutch dictionaries. I have to use it the latter for my second French dictionary, the Littré, since I already use the German, Italian and Spanish dictionaries.

Kobo dictionaries are poor, but not allowing searching for French or Dutch makes it much worse.
You may want to check out this tweak, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=273820 not all of it is aimed at solving the search issue, but part of it does.

Kobo can't change this without reworking their deal with the owners of those dictionaries, but we can.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #350
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
You may want to check out this tweak, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=273820 not all of it is aimed at solving the search issue, but part of it does.

Kobo can't change this without reworking their deal with the owners of those dictionaries, but we can.
Thank you. I already suscribed to this thread. It looks a bit complicated for me, but I'll have to invest the time if any "new improved" kobo makes it necessary to use later F/W.
Advert
Old 05-27-2016, 07:07 AM   #351
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, In comparison to the 3.15.0 firmware, the latest 3.19 firmware is faster. But given that there is supposedly newer firmware due out in maybe a month, you might be best to wait for that one.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:29 AM   #352
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, In comparison to the 3.15.0 firmware, the latest 3.19 firmware is faster. But given that there is supposedly newer firmware due out in maybe a month, you might be best to wait for that one.
If you are basing that on my reply to murg's comment, I said at least a month. If you have other evidence, post away. And if you have a wildly speculative rumour, post that even faster. They tend to be more fun
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #353
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you are basing that on my reply to murg's comment, I said at least a month. If you have other evidence, post away. And if you have a wildly speculative rumour, post that even faster. They tend to be more fun
I'm starting new rumors. Kobo's next new firmware is going to read KF8 eBooks and give full typesetting as well just to one up Amazon and show it's possible to do typesetting correctly.

Also, Kobo is going to give us the full Oxford English dictionary for free as part of the new firmware.

And finally, every single bug is going to be fixed and Kobo is going to fix every singe bug in RMDSK as well as make it 100% compliant to ePub 2.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #354
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And if you have a wildly speculative rumour, post that even faster. They tend to be more fun
Can anyone play?

I heard a rumour that Kobo will add a brand new feature - provisionally named 'Kindle-ify My Kobo'. When selected all Kobo customisation options are disabled and screensaver cover images are replaced with ads for things you don't want to buy.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:35 AM   #355
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
This font was modified from the original in caudex-1.05.zip downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/caudex/ to fix some problems that affect Kobo's KePub reader (and probably other programs that depend on the font's PANOSE profile and TTF names.)
Did you try and feed these fixes back to the font's author/project?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:18 AM   #356
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Can anyone play?

I heard a rumour that Kobo will add a brand new feature - provisionally named 'Kindle-ify My Kobo'. When selected all Kobo customisation options are disabled and screensaver cover images are replaced with ads for things you don't want to buy.
There's also going to be a dumbed down mode where you only get three choice for layout and none of them are what you want.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:02 AM   #357
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Edit: A common sign that the PANOSE profile is incorrect is that the font shows in the font selection menu as bold or italic.
Thank you! I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why this happens. Now I can fix it in font creator.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:36 PM   #358
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Did you try and feed these fixes back to the font's author/project?
The site won't let me open a bug ticket, but I've sent a message to the maintainer. I'll update my post in this thread if the fixes get included in the original font.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #359
anacreon
Guru

Quote:

Edit: The original font has an oddly-positioned hyphen that I find distracting, I've attached an alternative with the hyphen replaced by one that sits at the same height as the other dashes.
I just noticed, looking for something else, that you uploaded a new improved version of my present favorite, Caudex, which works well for old or new texts. I use Clear Sans too, for Calibre catalogs for instance. For poetry with long lines, which needs small font sizes, Roboto is more comfortable to read than others (if not so long, I prefer Noto Sans).
Thank you again.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #360
GeoffR
Wizard

Caudex has been updated to version 1.06. This version includes fixes to the PANOSE profile and TTF names that prevented the previous version 1.05 from working properly with the KePub reader.