Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Saving ebooks problems

Hello.

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.

I'm using the JobSpy plugin to save the covers separately in some of my libraries.

Unfortunately I've discovered that Calibre adds the cover to the epub no matter what.

I've tried with checkmark in No default cover in Preferences => output options, but it still adds the cover to the epub file.

I've also tried with No SVG cover in Preferences => output options, but then it doesn't save anything at all.

I've tried asking in the jobspy thread, but Dalton suggested I wrote here instead.

No matter what option I don't want the cover in the epub when I've saved it.

I'm hoping someone can help with this, to avoid having to delete them all separately after I've saved the epubs.

Thanks

Last edited by Tanjamuse; 06-15-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
I'm using the JobSpy plugin to save my epubs with the setting that it should only save the covers in some of my libraries.

Tanjamuse, no, you are using JS to only save the covers "separately" in some of your libraries. "Separately" means as its own "separate" file. JS has nothing to do with the internals of an EPUB (or any other format).

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Output Options only affects ebook conversions.

I assume you're using Save to disk? You need to go to Preferences => Saving books to disks. Uncheck Save cover separately and Update metadata in saved copies.

If you wish to update metadata in the epub file but don't want to add a cover, use Polish books or the Modify ePub plugin before you run Save to disk.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

'Bulk Metadata Edit' will also remove covers.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
'Bulk Metadata Edit' will also remove covers.
I'm assuming OP likes having the cover in the Calibre library and exported to a user-defined location but doesn't want the actual epub files to store these covers.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I'm assuming OP likes having the cover in the Calibre library and exported to a user-defined location but doesn't want the actual epub files to store these covers.
If that's the case, the only ways to do it are: a) use the Modify plugin, or b) edit the EPUB. Polish can update the cover in the EPUB with what's in the library, but I don't think it can explicitly remove an existing cover from an EPUB.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
No matter what option I don't want the cover in the epub when I've saved it.

I'm hoping someone can help with this, to avoid having to delete them all separately after I've saved the epubs.
Sorry, but, you are not being very clear about what you are trying to stop. You don't actually say what you mean by "saved the epubs". When I see that, the I think either after using the editor, or doing a "save to disk". And with what you have said, I tend to towards the latter, but I'm not sure.

To add to the confusion, the options you do mention are conversion options. These are only used when converting a book or with tools that use parts of the conversion pipeline. Polish books is one of these.

But, based on other questions you have posed, I think you are talking about FFF downloaded books that do not have a cover image. And you want to prevent calibre from adding the cover image when you do any of the various functions that update the metadata in an epub. These include save-to-disk, send-to-device and Embed metadata. When updating the metadata, calibre will update the cover image in the book. And for ePubs, if there is no image marked as a cover, it will add the cover from the library. When doing this, calibre doesn't add a page to display the cover, it just adds the image and marks it as the cover. This is because some ereaders and apps give errors if there is no image marked as the cover.

If this is the problem you are trying to solve, there is an option in the EPUB Metadata Writer plugin to turn this off. To set this, you need to find the plugin in the Plugins page of the preferences. Then open it's configuration and enter "disable-add-missing-cover" in the field. There is information in the dialog about what the option is.

If that isn't the problem and solution, then I need a better explanation of what the problem is.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:56 AM   #8
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I can't find the EPUB Metadata Writer plugin.

The only one I've found is the link below and I can't see any options anywhere.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=261010
Old 06-16-2018, 05:00 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a built-in PI, go to Preferences->Plugins and look in the Metadata Writer section.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:07 AM   #10
Tanjamuse
Wizard

Ah, thanks. It looks to be working.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
Tanjamuse
Wizard

Can anyone help me with the following:

Can I change the status from No & Yes to Incomplete & Complete when I save to Disk?

and is it possible to add favorite authors in a folder on its own?
Old 07-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Can I change the status from No & Yes to Incomplete & Complete when I save to Disk?

STD does not have the ability to change the Status of any Metadata in the library (it only freshins the books metadata when it is sent)

This would be a real tricky use of a Program Mode template (and I don't think it can use a external list (file) for current values.

Give the Reading List plugin a gander. You might be able to (pre)Tag your FAVs and use that
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Not without editing the calibre code and then it would change it for all Yes/No columns.

You can probably achieve what you want by creating a column of type "Text, but with a fixed set of permitted values". Then adding an icon rule to put a tick or cross or other appropriate icon next to the value. With that, when you do a save-to-disk, the correct value should be saved, or available for a template.
Quote:
If this is for within calibre, the Reading List plugin is the only thing I can think of. Create a list with a search that finds your favourite authors. Or tag them as such and search for the tag.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote