Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-20-2018, 02:29 AM   #61
wildhoney66
Zealot
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
i've never read the book but i love the film
wildhoney66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #62
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It depends on the message you want to take from it. Is Spielberg emotionally invested and qualified to do that? Yes, absolutely. And he put it off for quite a while, because he didn't think he would be able to make the movie good enough. The way history is taught in the USA is a little bit different than in Germany. The majority of Germans were / are decent people, even the soldiers. How did they not see it coming? That is easy to say in hindsight after you have the facts from both sides. If you hear often enough that they are out to get you, eventually you become paranoid.
Help the Paranoids are out to get me.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #63
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
The book Schindler’s Ark was written by the Australian author Thomas Keneally. He met one of the people Schindler saved, who told him the story.
It was also titled Schindler's List in the US. Just to be clear, the book is a novel, based on the actual events. Kind of like "Killer Angels" was a novel based on the battle of Gettysburg.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #64
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
There seem to be two points jammed together there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It depends on the message you want to take from it. Is Spielberg emotionally invested and qualified to do that? Yes, absolutely. And he put it off for quite a while, because he didn't think he would be able to make the movie good enough.
Spielberg is one of the most talented directors alive. Could a German director have made a film about the Holocaust? Even an adaptation of Schindler's List? Of course. Would it have had the impact of Spielberg's Schindler's List? Probably not. I like Werner Herzog and Tom Tykwer. But they wouldn't have made the same movie.

Quote:
The way history is taught in the USA is a little bit different than in Germany. The majority of Germans were / are decent people, even the soldiers. How did they not see it coming? That is easy to say in hindsight after you have the facts from both sides. If you hear often enough that they are out to get you, eventually you become paranoid.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #65
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
There seem to be two points jammed together there.
No, it wasn't separate. While I acknowledge that Spielberg did a great job with it, it still doesn't sit right with me that someone else didn't attempt it sooner.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #66
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'm not sure if you mean anyone, particularly a German, making a film about Schindler, or whether you mean more broadly any German filmmaker addressing the Holocaust.

If it is the latter, you may be interested in this list of films made by various European countries since the Second World War which address Nazi atrocities. You will note that the first German film was made in 1946. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Holocaust_films

It would be wrong to think that Germany has not addressed the things that were done. I have a German friend who was a very small child at the end of the war (and still as an adult had nightmares about the bombing of Hamburg) who told me that at school the children were shown films about the concentration camps.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:19 PM   #67
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I saw a movie that was word for word matched the book. "Manhunter" based on the book "Red Dragon"

In general I like to read the book if I see the movie. I thought the Dragon movie Eargon was horrible but I liked the basic gist of it so I read the book series which I found wonderful and to this day is my favorite book
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #68
wildhoney66
Zealot
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
i think i read somewhere that had studio interference but i could be wrong on that. to kill a mockingbird as it's been said i agree does follow the book very well. also the godfather also follows the book very well but the flashbacks they saved for part 2. and though the book is good this is a book where the film i thought anyways was better.

the lion, witch and the wardrobe followed the book pretty good. it's been years upon years since i last read it so i can't say how close it followed it cause i honestly don't remember and that goes for it's sequels as well.
wildhoney66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:08 PM   #69
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhoney66 View Post
i think i read somewhere that had studio interference but i could be wrong on that. to kill a mockingbird as it's been said i agree does follow the book very well. also the godfather also follows the book very well but the flashbacks they saved for part 2. and though the book is good this is a book where the film i thought anyways was better.

the lion, witch and the wardrobe followed the book pretty good. it's been years upon years since i last read it so i can't say how close it followed it cause i honestly don't remember and that goes for it's sequels as well.
Do you mean the new versions or the one's from the 1980's?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:03 AM   #70
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I'm not sure if you mean anyone, particularly a German, making a film about Schindler, or whether you mean more broadly any German filmmaker addressing the Holocaust.
I meant a German making a film about Schindler and similiar - like Anne Frank. There is plenty of general documentaries and movies about the war and Holocaust, seldom about small scale heros.

IMO there is too much regular history, not enough people's history (as in Howard Zinn's A People's History Of The United States).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #71
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
One example I know of is the German film The White Rose about Sophie Scholl, her brother and others protesting against Nazism in Munich in 1942.

I think a lot of films have been made, but perhaps not released where you are.

ETA This is in response to DuckieTigger - Apache beat me to the thread!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:10 AM   #72
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The non-book related Hitchcock posts have been moved to a new dedicated film thread in the Lounge.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #73
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The non-book related Hitchcock posts have been moved to a new dedicated film thread in the Lounge.
Sounds good.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote