Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Apple iPad claims eReader advantage

Apple's latest device to be a cause for anticipation, speculation, criticism
http://media.www.piercepioneer.com/m...-3881204.shtml

The intention of the iPad was to compete with electronic-book readers such as Amazon's Kindle, Barnes & Noble's Nook and the Sony Reader. These readers range anywhere from $200 to $479 in price, while the iPad starts at $499 and goes up to $829.

With the exception of the Japanese Flepia, made by Fujitsu at a cost of $1100, the iPad is the only one that offers color.

So why the disappointment? It's essentially a big iPod touch.

Prior to the Jan. 27 announcement, Apple fans got word of something in development called the "iSlate" or "iTablet." They expected a tablet computer to compete with the popular netbooks.

It's true that Apple has been working on a tablet computer for years, but this may not be it. Instead of running Mac OSX, the announcement revealed it runs iPhone OS.

Realistically speaking, to run OSX smoothly on a device that small, Apple would have to put in a stronger processor. This would shoot the price up for the iPad. Not only for the processor, but to deal with the additional heat produced by it.

And how many people would sink $1000-$1500 for an Apple eBook reader? Only the fabled Apple cultists, who revere Apple C.E.O. Steve Jobs as a god and see all Apple products as a gift from god.

So there's no way to tell whether the iPad will soar like the iPod or sink like the Macbook Air. We'll just have to wait until March to see.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Has the MacBook Air sunk? I use mine every day - in preference to a bigger more powerful laptop. It's power to weight ratio is awesome.
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I recently read on Teleread that Apple will not allow the amazon app to purchase ebooks from within the app...

I hope that Amazon fights this because that seems like a monopolistic tacit to me.

Wasn't a new feature of the most recent iPhone/iPod Touch OS to allow for within app purchasing?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
Has the MacBook Air sunk? I use mine every day - in preference to a bigger more powerful laptop. It's power to weight ratio is awesome.
Sales were less than expected by a good bit from what I've read.

It's a sleek machine, but most aren't willing to pay that much for the lack of power just to get a super light machine. My laptop seldom leaves the house and is almost always plugged in--it's just my home PC more than being a portable computer, so the Air, netbooks etc. haven't had any appeal to me.

Back on topic, I think it's silly to knock the iPad for being a bigger iPod touch in a piece talking about it as an e-reader.

For those who want an LCD screen reader, the main drawback to the Ipod Touch/iPhone is the screen is too small. It's small for books, and way to small for magazines, comics etc. The iPad should be great for that kind of stuff--again for people who want an LCD screen reader (so stay away with the "if it glows it blows" type of trolling).
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I recently read on Teleread that Apple will not allow the amazon app to purchase ebooks from within the app...

I hope that Amazon fights this because that seems like a monopolistic tacit to me.

Wasn't a new feature of the most recent iPhone/iPod Touch OS to allow for within app purchasing?

BOb
This is already the case with the iPhone Kindle and B&N apps. It's not a big deal. You just press a button to go to the browser and buy your book, and then click a link which takes you back to the app when you're done.

The within-app purchasing was added as a feature in 3.0, but Apple takes 30% cut. Safe to say that Amazon did not implement their app using Apple's APIs, and it got pulled.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
My husband loves his MacAir too.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:

BOb
Until the iPad comes out next month, we don't know if Teleread is just repeating a rumor.

Personally, the Kindle iPhone app is my least favorite reader app on my iPhone.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The air is an incredible piece of technology when you get one in your hands. But it wasn't a huge success due to price point imo.

The iPad isn't the strongest e-book reader but for people who also want read comics/newspapers/magazines in electronic formats it will be hard to match. Then add on the strength of the app store and the hundreds of different things that can do and features like Skype (imagine having a reading device you can take phonecalls on) and of course music/video/gaming and even iWork. It's compelling.

It won't be as huge as iPhone or iPods but it will be successful. The 2nd and 3rd generations of this device with cameras will be incredible. Once we have video chat on these things it will be great too.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
All things considered the only advantages the iPad has over other readers, and not even all of them is a larger screen size and the color screen. I agree with the article, it is essentially a bit iPod touch and holds zero appeal to me as a reader.

Now if it could seriously compete with netbooks maybe. Otherwise, I've already got my reader and am perfectly happy with it. Then again I'm not the target audience either.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:

BOb
Get back to me when Amazon allows a 3rd party electronic book reading application on the Kindle.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #11
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I've not looked into things, not having a kindle - but does their app store have a rejection process etc? Do things need to be approved there? Do they have CLEAR policies etc? I'm asking because I don't know - not because I have a perspective one way or the
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:31 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
This is already the case with the iPhone Kindle and B&N apps. It's not a big deal. You just press a button to go to the browser and buy your book, and then click a link which takes you back to the app when you're done.
Ah... good point... I didn't even think of that... so you can get stuff from your Amazon archive? With the browser based store... I guess it is a non-issue. I don't buy ebooks from my Kindle either. I always do it from my PC, then just turn on the Kindle wireless switch and it d/l's the book in a minute or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Get back to me when Amazon allows a 3rd party electronic book reading application on the Kindle.
Um.... ok... I guess.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
So why the disappointment? It's essentially a big iPod touch.
As I said weeks before the launch event, a "big iPod Touch" is exactly when I wanted, personally. I wouldn't want a "tablet iMac".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #14
njm
njm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Book Reader PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Until the iPad comes out next month, we don't know if Teleread is just repeating a rumor.

Personally, the Kindle iPhone app is my least favorite reader app on my iPhone.

I like the Kindle iPhone app a lot. But the Barnes & Noble app . . .
njm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #15
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
The intention of the iPad was to compete with electronic-book readers such as Amazon's Kindle, Barnes & Noble's Nook and the Sony Reader....
Was it? I thought it was more of a general purpose media consumption device for a bit of light browsing, movies and email, that oh yeah, by the way, also has a great screen you can read on.

Something of a nonsense 'filler' article all round really; it's a bit late in the day as a 'news' story (the iPad launch was a month ago) it doesn't really cover any new ground, and nobody really knows how well they'll sell and in what segments until they ship in a months time.

Oh, and FWIW, I've seen a lot more MacBook Airs out in the wild than I have eBook readers...

Cheers, Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote