Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-18-2023, 05:02 PM   #1
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
10' e-ink readers? Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa 2E...

I'm planing to add 10'er into my family of readers. Note taking abilities are tertiary concern, speed and refresh rates as well. All I want is as good screen as possible. Also a few quality of life features would be appreciated. Custom fonts, and ability to turn off page numbers or percentage while reading.

So far I've mainly looked at Scribe vs Elipsa. I've an older Kindle, and know that custom fonts tend to be a problem. I need to embed them into the .mobi formats, or do a hack that replaces all the default ones. That was my main reasons for moving from them when I bought 8' reader. I do love Kindle's dictionaries and no-nonsense library, on other hand. I wonder if things have changed in font's area since then. I also like that it has higher resolution screen compared to Elipsa. Then again I'd prefer smaller resolution, if contrast was better.

Anyway, I'd appreciate opinions and suggestions on other readers in this category as well.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 04:15 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The real mobi format can't take embedded fonts at all. You need azw3 or kfx on a Kindle.
The Scribe is slightly sharper than the Elipsa, but you can't properly manage it with Calibre as it has the same limitations with collections and series data as any Kindle. In addition the Scribe now uses MTP mode, which is awkward.

I have the 8" Sage (300 dpi) and the Elipsa. I only use the Elipsa for some PDFs where the text is too small on the Sage. I considered the Scribe, but the need to use Amazon even for my own documents to annotate them put me off. Since then the Scribe has changed to MTP which I dislike. MTP is no slower for file transfer but much slower for a directory listing or file search. MTP has other issues too. The reason for MTP is tighter control and not having to have any FAT or exFAT partition.

The Elipsa & Sage never need to phone home or have WiFi. I read my Amazon ebooks on the Sage.

The other aspect is weight. A 10"+ ereader is OK on a desk or stand, but hugely heavier than an 8" ereader, which is about a perfect size for actual ebook novels. You might want 10" for comics, but my LCD Lenovo tablet is half that price and fine for comics as none are as long as a novel.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2023, 06:10 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The ability to add custom fonts has been available for Kindles for years. Sideloaded books need to be in the azw3 or kfx format to use them, not mobi. Of course you can also add custom fonts to Kobos.

Last edited by Sirtel; 10-19-2023 at 06:19 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 06:29 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think only four very old Kindles can't have embedded fonts.
On current Kindles and Kobo you can either add a font to the ereader or embed fonts in the ebook (more flexible).
Old 10-19-2023, 08:54 AM   #5
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
A ten foot eink screen would be truly epic.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2023, 11:15 AM   #6
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The real mobi format can't take embedded fonts at all. You need azw3 or kfx on a Kindle.
For a moment I almost thought that my memory was playing tricks on me, but I just checked, and the feature is still there. Kindle 4th gen. Files in Mobi format, if fonts are embedded correctly, I get "Publisher Font: on/off" setting in "change font's" menu.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:01 PM   #7
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
I've an older Kindle, and know that custom fonts tend to be a problem.
Scribe with KFX format sideloaded (convert from EPUB using Calibre) has full support for custom fonts via both the UI (to pick a default font for reading, which can be fonts you copy to the Scribe) or embedded.

I have a book where there were several chapters that were flashbacks, and the original formatting was having the entire chapter in italic. This was very hard to read, so I instead formatted the chapters using an embedded font (DejaVu Serif, since it's different from what I normally use), and they display perfectly, even though I am essentially overriding the user-chosen reading font for a large part of the book.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 12:07 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I assumed a typo as the largest is about 13.8″ in the "digital paper" category of devices.
Old 10-19-2023, 04:36 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Perhaps a misunderstanding? For most users, ' is used for feet and " is used for inches.

So the OP's 10' screen would be a 10 foot or 305cm diagonal.

Perhaps not so ROFL since eInk has demoed a 61" Kaleido 3 screen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 09:03 AM   #10
jackm8
Zealot

So, I've been looking at Note Air 3 C as well lately. As high resolution BW screen as Scribe. But what I really like, is that they've a very thin glass cover over the screen. On other hand it's 150€ more compared to the rest. Granted it's got coloured display, but I really don't see that as a bonus.
I wonder if there's any resource out there that mentions glass thickness of the screens, either in reviews or in any other way?
Only way that I can get a feel for this is hands on or by watching some youtoube reviews from people that do detailed footage like My Deep Guide. Problem with the later is inconsistent video quality, problem with the former is that my local stores don't have all the models on hands to try.
Old 10-21-2023, 12:24 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
So, I've been looking at Note Air 3 C as well lately. As high resolution BW screen as Scribe.
It's not. That's rather misleading. It's a 300 dpi mono screen with a patterned colour filter on top. You can do tricks to improve the resolution that mono high contrast stuff has compare to the resolution a colour image has, but it won't be as sharp for mono text and images as even a 223 dpi screen.
It's 150 dpi on colour and can be made to be a bit sharper with mono text and subpixel addressing.
Old 10-21-2023, 01:18 PM   #12
jackm8
Zealot

It is 2480 x 1860 black and white. That makes it the same as Scribe. The again it's also lower contrast compared to pure black and white eink screens, so yeah, it's off the radar because of that.
Old 10-21-2023, 01:51 PM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's not. That's rather misleading. It's a 300 dpi mono screen with a patterned colour filter on top. You can do tricks to improve the resolution that mono high contrast stuff has compare to the resolution a colour image has, but it won't be as sharp for mono text and images as even a 223 dpi screen.
It's 150 dpi on colour and can be made to be a bit sharper with mono text and subpixel addressing.
I have both, can compare directly and the Kaleido 3 300ppi screen is much sharper for text than the 227 ppi of the Tab Ultra and Note Air 1.
Even images appear sharper
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 02:52 PM   #14
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I own all of them Boox is the best but screen quality i go with scribe. Elipsa is the least one i like
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 03:12 PM   #15
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote