Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-17-2023, 10:52 AM   #16
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can find a number of Kindles and no Kobos. That means that Kobo owners take better care of their Kobo then a Kindle owner as Kobo owners care more about their Reader then Kindle owners. ]

This may mean that Kindle are throwaway items where Kobos are not.
Do we know the percentage of Kindle to Kobo owners?

(I don't have a dog in the fight, I have a Pocketbook)
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 10:56 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Do we know the percentage of Kindle to Kobo owners?

(I don't have a dog in the fight, I have a Pocketbook)
No idea. But I do have 2 Kindles and 2 Kobos. I inherited both Kindles. I only really use the Kobo to read with. One of the Kindles I use to download new eBooks if I was to buy or get a freebee from Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2023, 11:12 AM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Please don't give false information. I've had a T1 and I've never had it freeze when using the dictionary.
It's not false information. I've had it happen to me. And there have been several others who've posted here, who have also mentioned it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 11:14 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It's not false information. I've had it happen to me. And there have been several others who've posted here, who have also mentioned it.
But it's obviously not an all the time thing. So mentioning it like it is an all the time problem is giving false information.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 12:39 PM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I agree it seems common and an inherent bug, though fiddling with formatting is supposed to fix it. I took my S/H T1 back and got a full refund. It obligingly demo'ed the bug at the counter.

The PRS-T2 is far better. Works with a 32G SD card behind a nice little hatch in the rear. Passed it on to a grandchild. Better than a Nook Simple Touch, older Kindle Basic (before 2021) or Paperwhite 1. Far better than a Kobo Touch version C, though the original Kobo Aura HD H2O is good and also takes SD card.

I suspect a S/H PRS-650 is better, because the PRS-350 I have is totally reliable.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-17-2023 at 12:43 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2023, 01:38 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I suspect a S/H PRS-650 is better, because the PRS-350 I have is totally reliable.
I think the x50 series was solid (both hardware and firmware). The T2 and T3 both seem to be good. I believe the T1 was the first Android-based Sony eReader so it probably had some teething problems. Though, I read somewhere, that if you upgraded (or downgraded) to the right firmware you could eliminate that bug. (It's been a long since I read that, sorry that I don't have any details.)
Old 10-17-2023, 01:53 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
But it's obviously not an all the time thing. So mentioning it like it is an all the time problem is giving false information.
No, but it crops up enough to be an annoyance. It's not false information, it's a "buyer beware" advisement.
Old 10-17-2023, 01:54 PM   #23
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
The Kobo Clara HD is a very nice reader. I own two; both are still going strong.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 02:48 PM   #24
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I'll just say this about second hand in general.
I think that as in many other devices people hang onto readers after they've graduated to the next generation.
I get the impression that the second hand market is not too vibrant for lower end devices.
Yes, if you want to spend $500 for a very well-kept, high-end device there are offers.
OTOH, some wackoes want $90 for a device with a broken screen.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/256210451037

Maybe you should just canvas your friends to find somebody who has one in a drawer?
Then you could get some up-to-date experience and decide if you want to drop some money.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 03:49 PM   #25
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
I can find a number of Kindles and no Kobos. That means that Kobo owners take better care of their Kobo then a Kindle owner as Kobo owners care more about their Reader then Kindle owners.

I think this is probably accurate! 😂
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 04:15 PM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I can find a number of Kindles and no Kobos. That means that Kobo owners take better care of their Kobo then a Kindle owner as Kobo owners care more about their Reader then Kindle owners. ]

Probably a conclusion not justified by the data, even if true.

I think it's simply the sheer dominance of Amazon. Kindle ebooks are about 90% of the world English language sales. They are by orders of magnitude bigger than anyone else selling eink ereaders (Apple don't sell an ereader). Amazon don't need to make profit on ereaders either, though probably careful to make some.

People even assume ebook = kindle and ereader = kindle, like they assume PC = Windows (which it isn't, as PCs existed four or five years before IBM PC, with CP/M and a Mac is also a PC = Personal Computer. I've used about 9 OSes on PCs, not counting variations of Linux, Pet, Amiga, Atari, Apple II or Mac OS 9).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 04:17 PM   #27
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Please don't give false information.
Please stop posting false accusations of false information.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 07:35 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Probably a conclusion not justified by the data, even if true.

I think it's simply the sheer dominance of Amazon. Kindle ebooks are about 90% of the world English language sales. They are by orders of magnitude bigger than anyone else selling eink ereaders (Apple don't sell an ereader). Amazon don't need to make profit on ereaders either, though probably careful to make some.

People even assume ebook = kindle and ereader = kindle, like they assume PC = Windows (which it isn't, as PCs existed four or five years before IBM PC, with CP/M and a Mac is also a PC = Personal Computer. I've used about 9 OSes on PCs, not counting variations of Linux, Pet, Amiga, Atari, Apple II or Mac OS 9).
Orders of magnitude would require at least a 100 to 1 ratio (100 Kindle ereaders for every 1 sold by all other sources). The last numbers I saw showed Amazon with an 83% share of the ereader market, Kobo with 12% and everyone else in the remaining 5%. Sadly, the prediction is that the ereader market is currently ~$350 million per year but will drop to ~$205 million by 2027.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 07:50 PM   #29
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
the prediction is that the ereader market is currently ~$350 million per year but will drop to ~$205 million by 2027.
Is that because more people are just reading on their phones?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 08:51 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Is that because more people are just reading on their phones?
Pretty much. Most ebooks are being read on tablets and phones.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote