Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-03-2023, 03:09 PM   #1
kind-reader
kind-reader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th gen
Buying a kindle to JB

Hello friends!

Looks like this question is more for this part of the forum..
I been following this forum for a few months and I finally decided to join to give a try a Kindle I want to mod
I have a Kindle KT3 up to date with FW updates and I know I cant jb that one easy
So before browsing eBay to get one to play with I wonder if can I get advised on what to buy (model and FW) to get what I just want
I want to jb a Kindle to get

6''
warm light and dark more (I can exclude this if I still get the others wishes)
Easy simple library collection that I can customize (not horrible Amazon order)
And most important, a easy way to plug a remote page turner, either wired or wireless, been reading of Kindle lazy but I got so confused on what to buy to mod for that

I know I could a kobo (clara possibly) and get all this, but I also doing this as an easy cheap project for Xmas

Advices, clues and recomendations are really apreciated

Thank you all!
kind-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 04:04 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You won't be able to buy a new Kindle to jailbreak as they now come with a firmware too new to jailbreak. Maybe someday, bu not now and you won't know if ever.

What is it you want to do with a jailbroken Kindle? Maybe a Kobo Clara 2E would do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2023, 05:01 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You won't be able to buy a new Kindle to jailbreak as they now come with a firmware too new to jailbreak.
So, when has it been reported that brand new kids edition kindles no longer come with jailbreakable firmware?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 04:07 AM   #4
kind-reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You won't be able to buy a new Kindle to jailbreak as they now come with a firmware too new to jailbreak. Maybe someday, bu not now and you won't know if ever.

What is it you want to do with a jailbroken Kindle? Maybe a Kobo Clara 2E would do.
Thanks for the advice, I was meant to search an used one on eBay really
This is just a little project for fun and to experiment
Old 10-04-2023, 05:53 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can get eink "hats" for Raspberry Pi Mk4. They seem to be similar to the price labels that Lidl has started using here.
The Aldi and Musgrave (Centra, Supervalue, SuperQuinn) eink labels are different.
Dunnes and Tesco are still using paper.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2023, 11:10 AM   #6
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
What is a KT3? There is no such thing. There is just a kindle basic, paperwhite, Voyage( or whatever that out of device is called) Oasis, Scribe then the fire tablets
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 11:23 AM   #7
kind-reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You can get eink "hats" for Raspberry Pi Mk4. They seem to be similar to the price labels that Lidl has started using here.
The Aldi and Musgrave (Centra, Supervalue, SuperQuinn) eink labels are different.
Dunnes and Tesco are still using paper.
That is a awesome idea! Might mess around with that!
Thanks a lot
Old 10-04-2023, 11:46 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some also work with Ardunio.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:59 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
What is a KT3? There is no such thing. There is just a kindle basic, paperwhite, Voyage( or whatever that out of device is called) Oasis, Scribe then the fire tablets
Older Kindles
Original (Mobi only, Keyboard, abysmal)
2nd model (Mobi only, Keyboard, abysmal)
DX (9.7″ 150 dpi, Mobi & PDF, abysmal (also 2nd gen)
K3 or Kindle Keyboard 167 dpi (third generation) Oldest to later get azw3 support. Wifi or Wifi + 3G
DXG or B009 (a DX with better contrast, Mobi & PDF, abysmal, 150 dpi also 2nd gen too, thoough after K3) 3G only, no WiFi.
These early ones have 3.5mm jack, at least some have speakers, rudimentary MP3 and text to voice.

Various versions Gen 4 without keyboards. 1: K4 aka K4NT (no touch and 8 physical buttons and a 4-way button with another button in the middle. 2: Kindle Touch

A Gen 5 (with or without touch?). Similar to Gen 4 but faster

Basic all 167 dpi till 2022 when it got 300 dpi.
A Gen 6 Touch, 2012 now called Kindle Basic.
Gen 7 Basic. Full touch but no frontlight. First model called a Basic.
Gen 8: Basic. Still 167 dpi but Bluetooth for sight impaired (Voice view). 2016. also called KT3 or Basic 2
Gen 10 Basic: 167 dpi, First front light on Basic. 2019
Gen 11 Basic: First 300 dpi on Basic, front light, 2022. Similar to a 2015 PW3, but USB-C and better 16G storage.

Paperwhite adds a front light and all are touch.
Gen 5: 212 dpi. 2012 PW 1
Gen 6: 212 dpi. 2013 PW 2
Gen 7: 300 dpi. 2015 PW 3 (first decent Kindle & does KFX). Later PW3 for some countries had extra storage, e.g. Manga edition. Audio via USB adapter, no MP3, but Voice view via download.
Gen 10: PW4. Options for 32 GB Wi-Fi and 4G LTE. Flush screen less clear than PW3! Bluetooth for Voiceview. 2018.
Gen 11: PW5. 2021. USB-C

Voyage
Gen 7: Basically an expensive PW 3, said to have best screen. 2014, one month after PW3.

Oasis page buttons, front light, 7″ screen, 300 dpi
Gen 8: Oasis 1, (poor battery life without cover) 300 dpi. 2016
Gen 9: Oasis 2, 32G option, 3G option, 2017
Gen 10: Oasis 3, 2019

Scribe 10.3″ approx, 300dpi, Wacom EMR digitiser and stylus, but annotation seems to need documents via Amazon, not sideloaded. No on-device conversion to text or direct drawing on sideloaded PDF?

Firmwares
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW
Unlike Kobo, you can never down grade without a jailbreak.

Kindle naming is confusing with many nicknames. The Fire LCD tablet based on Android was confusingly a Kindle Fire from 2010 to 2014.

I may have made mistakes.
See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle
and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle
And https://www.androidauthority.com/whi...-have-1073996/

The definitive thing is usually the first four digits of the serial number (sometimes 1st six) (on the device settings and any matched Amazon account).

I don't know what a KT3 is?
There are many nicknames and Amazon has sometimes later changed what they called an earlier ereader!
Is a KT3 the 3rd model with touch?

mobi = old mobi /azw / kf7. No embedded fonts. Only HTML3, no CSS files.

There are multiple fixed layout formats and interactive.

azw3/kf8. Much of HTML 5, CSS, embedded fonts and similar to epub2. Supported if the Kindle has a "Publisher" Mode/Theme.

Dual Mobi is azw3 & mobi in the same file. DXG only sees the Mobi. K3 sees either (publisher mode) and later kindles might only see the azw3.

KFX. Incremental download, always encrypted. Different layout rules (Amazon calls it enhanced). Needed for Sticky Notes. At least PW3 and later support it.

Edit
The Android Authority link writes
Kindle Basic 2 (2016) = 8th gen = KT3
i.e. Third Touch model by their site.
https://www.androidauthority.com/whi...-have-1073996/

See also
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...33S847NN4V6Y83

Last edited by Quoth; 10-05-2023 at 04:37 AM. Reason: more detail & link
Old 10-04-2023, 01:44 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Of course there is. See:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Quote:
Code:
G000K9 	Kindle Basic 2 (2016)             KT3   [Support added in KindleTool 1.6.5]
G000KA 	White Kindle Basic 2 (2016)  KT3, KT3W  [Support added in KindleTool 1.6.5]
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 04:35 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Thanks, I missed that section.

Anyway double confirmation that there are loads of Kindle models and a KT3 is probably a common nickname for 2nd "Basic", or third Kindle with touch that's not a PW, Voyage or Oasis. Though I'm not 100% sure that there wasn't another model with Touch. The first model with touch did have a home button and audio, released 2011, a Gen 4. There was Gen4 & Gen 5 without touch, 2011 & 2012.
I think KT3 is the one Amazon calls Kindle (8th Generation) 2016.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...33S847NN4V6Y83

Last edited by Quoth; 10-05-2023 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:51 AM   #12
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kind-reader View Post
And most important, a easy way to plug a remote page turner, either wired or wireless...
I think you'll find that a Bluetooth clicker is much more convenient than a wired page turner.
On a Kobo thread people were complaining that you have to turn the BT on and it's inconvenient.
I'm a die-hard BT fan. I just open my Poke3, click any button on my BT key fob, it re-pairs, then I click to turn pages.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 02:05 PM   #13
kind-reader

Still tho, I am just looking which is an easy an fun old kindle to buy for jailbrake
Just for the sake of install Koreader and mess around

KT3 yes, is a kindle basic 2016
Old 10-15-2023, 10:00 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Still tho, I am just looking which is an easy an fun old kindle to buy for jailbrake
If it is purely to mess around with koreader, why a Kindle specifically?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 05:53 PM   #15
dljeffery
dljeffery began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2; Kindle Oasis 1 ("8th Gen") and Oasis 3 ("10th Gen")
Quote:

KT3 yes, is a kindle basic 2016
I'd be wary of buying an older Kindle just so I could jailbreak it, as Amazon likes to force Kindles to update their firmware as they see fit.

Kobos would seem a much better choice for both KOReader and just messing around. No jailbreak needed.
dljeffery is offline   Reply With Quote