Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-27-2023, 02:47 AM   #1
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
Will there be an update to Libra 2 soon?

Title. And if there is any alternative in the same range that is available in Japan, please let me know.

After nine years on the original Aura H2O, I didn't expect to be looking for a new one so soon after I bought Boox Leaf2 two months ago. But last night as I'm hitting the bed, I found out that my screen is broken . After a sleepless night I'm once again looking for a new reader. I would prefer an android device, but Japan e-reader market is surprisingly limited so Libra 2 seems to be my best option. But I wonder if there might be an update soon from Kobo? I can wait a few months, probably...

Or if you are aware of any device I should also consider please do let me know. Thanks.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 08:59 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If you need an ereader now, buy one now. Only worth "waiting" for upgrades if the existing products are broken (they aren't) or some amazing new technology that's must have is absolutely real (there isn't even a rumour of such).
The Libra 2 is very good for 7" and the Sage very good for 8". The Elipsa 2 "upgrade" wasn't much compared to an Elipsa (nothing much to miss if you'd just bought an Elipsa) and the Libra 2 is of little significance as an upgrade if you'd just bought a Libra.
The last Libra models had 8 G flash and the current Libra 2 has 32 G byte. That won't matter to most.
The Libra has micro-USB and the Libra 2 has USB-C (but no extra USB features, maybe charges faster, but the micro-USB can charge that fast).

There are a couple of "hidden" interesting points to Libra > Libra2:
1) The OS and user storage on a Libra 2 is on a micro SD Card, but on Libra a soldered on chip. The adventurous risk taker can dissolve the gluey water-proofing and fit a larger capacity card. But it's already 32 G byte. Possibly earlier models had less.
2) Both models have the Sketch Pad under Beta features. Surprisingly the Libra 2 can use the Kobo Pen, which allows 2 line widths and erase via the buttons. The Sketch images are saved as svg which can be copied via USB. They can't be edited once saved and the Sketch pad exited or a new one started. Basic notetaking without conversion to text (Note that the reMarkable, Kindle Scribe and some others don't do text conversion on the device, which Sage & Elipsa do, as do some apps on Android (only devices with digitiser) and some on recent & current iPads).

The main value of an Android eink is being able to use bookstore and Library apps directly.

Edit
The Kobo Pen is using the N-Trig/Microsoft protocol. The MS top button feature isn't used or needed (that's BT for One Note) and there are MS Surface compatible pens sold without that. The Pens come in versions using AAAA (about 30c and last 6 months or more) or rechargeable (about 1/4 to 1/10th running time). Often the rechargeable cell can't be replaced.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-27-2023 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Pen types
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2023, 09:19 AM   #3
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
If you need an ereader now, buy one now. Only worth "waiting" for upgrades if the existing products are broken (they aren't) or some amazing new technology that's must have is absolutely real (there isn't even a rumour of such).
This is what I mainly looking for, but appreciate the detailed answer.

I just got a word from the reseller that they can replace the screen for about 60% of the price I paid for my Leaf2, which is a lot but that's life. If that didn't work out I'll go with Libra 2.
Old 08-27-2023, 11:43 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The Libra 2 is very good for 7" and the Sage very good for 8". The Elipsa 2 "upgrade" wasn't much compared to an Elipsa (nothing much to miss if you'd just bought an Elipsa) and the Libra 2 is of little significance as an upgrade if you'd just bought a Libra.
The last Libra models had 8 G flash and the current Libra 2 has 32 G byte. That won't matter to most.
The Libra has micro-USB and the Libra 2 has USB-C (but no extra USB features, maybe charges faster, but the micro-USB can charge that fast).

There are a couple of "hidden" interesting points to Libra > Libra2:
1) The OS and user storage on a Libra 2 is on a micro SD Card, but on Libra a soldered on chip. The adventurous risk taker can dissolve the gluey water-proofing and fit a larger capacity card. But it's already 32 G byte. Possibly earlier models had less.
2) Both models have the Sketch Pad under Beta features. Surprisingly the Libra 2 can use the Kobo Pen, which allows 2 line widths and erase via the buttons. The Sketch images are saved as svg which can be copied via USB. They can't be edited once saved and the Sketch pad exited or a new one started. Basic notetaking without conversion to text (Note that the reMarkable, Kindle Scribe and some others don't do text conversion on the device, which Sage & Elipsa do, as do some apps on Android (only devices with digitiser) and some on recent & current iPads).

The main value of an Android eink is being able to use bookstore and Library apps directly.

Edit
The Kobo Pen is using the N-Trig/Microsoft protocol. The MS top button feature isn't used or needed (that's BT for One Note) and there are MS Surface compatible pens sold without that. The Pens come in versions using AAAA (about 30c and last 6 months or more) or rechargeable (about 1/4 to 1/10th running time). Often the rechargeable cell can't be replaced.
Doesn't the Libra 2 have a better screen? Some people consider that worth upgrading? Doesn't the Libra 2 do "audio books" and the Libra does not?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 12:33 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't see any difference on the screen, side by side & same settings. Also Audio books only in some countries and only Kobo. The BT isn't even available on my Libra 2. A phone is better for audio books and can have apps for everyone's audio books. More portable and good battery life as screen goes off. Also you can still get phones with a 3.5mm jack which is better than BT (and all the phones will also do BT). Some USB-C phones have a cheap passive adaptor for a 3.5mm jack.

A Libra 2 is very worthwhile if you don't have a Libra and want 7". Hardly worth it if you do. I have both.
Similarly an Elipsa 2E is worthwhile if you want a 10.3" with notes and no need for a cloud server, but hardly worth it if you have an Elipsa.

Of course some people replace perfectly working things for marginal benefit for the latest model.
My point is that if you want or need an ereader, get it now and don't be waiting for some model not even announced and a later replacement model is increasingly incremental.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-27-2023 at 12:38 PM.
Advert
Old 08-27-2023, 12:41 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Doesn't the Libra 2 have a better screen? Some people consider that worth upgrading?
The Libra 2 sure has a better screen. That's with the frontlight on.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 12:43 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Doesn't the Libra 2 have a better screen? Some people consider that worth upgrading? Doesn't the Libra 2 do "audio books" and the Libra does not?
I'm not at all suggesting the OP gets a Libra. I'm suggesting a Libra 2 rather than waiting for a hypothetical model (how long?) of unknown price and specification.
The Libra 2 is better than an Oasis gen 2 (had one, also 7") and the Oasis 3 disappointed Oasis 2 owners and reviewers as being a small increment. Also you can't replace the battery in an Oasis 2 or 3, only original. The Libra, Libra 2 and Sage batteries can be replaced in theory as the case is easily opened.
Old 08-27-2023, 12:47 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
I just got a word from the reseller that they can replace the screen for about 60% of the price I paid for my Leaf2, which is a lot but that's life. If that didn't work out I'll go with Libra 2.
The eink screens have a calibration factor, so if the repair person doesn't know how to change that a replacement screen sometimes has a poorer contrast.
Some models / makes the "touch" interface can be tricky.

There is no doubt eink screen replacement is a lot more expensive and tricky compared to an LCD phone or small tablet.
Old 08-27-2023, 02:49 PM   #9
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The Libra 2 is so good that I highly doubt a hypothetical Libra 3 could introduce any feature that would make it worth upgrading if you already have the Libra 2.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 03:03 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The Libra 2 is so good that I highly doubt a hypothetical Libra 3 could introduce any feature that would make it worth upgrading if you already have the Libra 2.
A newer processor would be worth it to me (if the screen quality doesn't get worse). The Libra 2 is a slouch compared to the Sage. Not so slow as to keep me from reading on it, but it's noticeable.

I'd also like it to be a bit slimmer and lighter, like the first Libra was (the first Libra was ergonomically perfect for me, but its screen was not as good, so I sold it after buying the Libra 2).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 04:21 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Well put.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:00 AM   #12
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
But I wonder if there might be an update soon from Kobo? I can wait a few months, probably...
If Kobo is still using Netronix as their OEM, then we can say that there are no new devices coming in the near future.

We can determine this by looking at Netronix's applications on fccid.io/NOI. The last one was in December 2022, which turned out to be the Elipsa 2E which was released 4 months later in April 2023.

So: there's probably nothing coming out for at least 4 months, which takes us to the end of 2023. Seems like Kobo's having a pretty quiet year.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 09:29 AM   #13
Hypernova
Hyperreader

Once again thanks all for your perspective. As I mentioned I'll try to get my Leaf2 screen replaced, but if that doesn't work I'll buy Libra 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
If Kobo is still using Netronix as their OEM, then we can say that there are no new devices coming in the near future.

We can determine this by looking at Netronix's applications on fccid.io/NOI. The last one was in December 2022, which turned out to be the Elipsa 2E which was released 4 months later in April 2023.

So: there's probably nothing coming out for at least 4 months, which takes us to the end of 2023. Seems like Kobo's having a pretty quiet year.
That's really good info.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:33 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To replace the Leaf2's screen, it's going to cost almost as much to get a new Kobo Libra 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 10:40 AM   #15
Hypernova
Hyperreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To replace the Leaf2's screen, it's going to cost almost as much to get a new Kobo Libra 2.
I got the quote from my reseller. If they got the part it'll cost me less than a new Libra 2, though not by a lot (about 80% price of Libra 2)