Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-10-2023, 05:20 PM   #46
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
Does all this affect reading? I don't know, I turn on the e-reader, click on the reading application (AlReaderX or KOReader) and read the book. Or I click on my library organiser (which I can use as my home screen if I want) and read the book. I find it all very simple. As simple as clicking on a book on the home screen of a Kobo or Kindle.

I have the impression that sometimes we create the problems ourselves (like watching YouTube videos and other ridiculous things). But if you make intelligent use of an Android device the reading experience is not as terrible as you describe. On the contrary, it is just as satisfying.
How are you using your library organizer as your homescreen on Android? Is that a Libera widget?

Last edited by Desertway; 08-10-2023 at 05:38 PM.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 06:01 PM   #47
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
How are you using your library organizer as your homescreen on Android? Is that a Libera widget?
Installing a launcher that allows you to launch any application when the device starts up. It's not properly a home screen (which will always be the launcher) but as long as you only move through the books you will always return to that app.

Personally I don't find it particularly interesting because opening the app with which you organise your books only requires an extra tap on your usual launcher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230810-233521.png
Views:	83
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	203111  
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2023, 06:20 PM   #48
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
Is that a Libera widget?
The widget you see in the first screenshot is the Onyx library widget. The Librera screenshot is not a widget, it is the application once opened. I suppose you could install a Librera widget, but I think only for the books you open with Librera itself. I haven't tried it.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 09:33 PM   #49
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
The widget you see in the first screenshot is the Onyx library widget. The Librera screenshot is not a widget, it is the application once opened. I suppose you could install a Librera widget, but I think only for the books you open with Librera itself. I haven't tried it.
Thanks for the explanation.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 01:05 AM   #50
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And you manage to sync reading positions from KOReader to other apps and vice versa? Between Moon Reader and Alreader X? Since that is what you wrote in your original post seems to say. To quote:
No, I don't sync reading positions across different apps. I don't know how that could possibly work and it's not something that I would want to do either.

Let's say that I've read 73% of Pride and Prejudice in Koreader and made lots of annotations. The only reason I can think of to open it in another reader is to compare how it renders or read it later without the annotations. I wouldn't want to open it in Alreader X and automatically have the same annotations and reading position.

The whole point for me with having several reading apps is that I know that I'm reading a specific book in each. In Koreader I might have Pride and Prejudice open; Alreader X opens Crime and Punishment in Russian; Librera some English non-fiction book or whatever.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2023, 01:19 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
No, I don't sync reading positions across different apps. I don't know how that could possibly work and it's not something that I would want to do either.
Thanks for clearing that up. To me, your original message read as if you were reading across multiple devices and applications and syncing reading progress/annotations across all of them. Which would be great to be able to do but so far it's doesn't seem likely to happen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote