Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-08-2023, 12:05 PM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The article's title is clickbait: Amazon pulling the plug on downloading e-books via USB and its impact

But there is absolutely no support. No source of any kind in the article.

There have been persistent rumors that the Earth is flat and that the British monarchy are lizard people.
OK, Article daft, Flat earth idea was a Victorian conspiracy alleging the church has believed it, but either people didn't care or had worked out the diameter. The British Monarchy might be usurpers (see James vs William) or Germans*, but certainly humans.

But does DeDRM work with the files for the Fire from D&T or does that give KFX files?

[* I've known loads of Germans. Great humans with a good sense of humour despite what the English think]
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 12:11 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
When I have used Download and Transfer USB, it asks which device it is for: my Paperwhite 3 or my super-old Fire tablet.
Thank you for the correction. I've never had a fire and thought the kindle app on an android tablet was equivalent.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2023, 12:22 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalgirlfall View Post
and i didn't know badereader was a bad source, i apologize! but given that i don't like how surveillance-heavy Kindles are out of the box, i think it would probably be more practical at this point in time to switch to a different (non-Amazon) line of ereaders.
No one does until they do. You are new to mobileread and could not be expected to know. My comment was directed at the replies from long time members. For examples of their bad actions that go beyond making up misinformation see threads tagged with "goodereader bad".

amazon keeps adding reasons to go to some other source of readers. Maybe someday that will actually have an effect on their market share.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 01:21 PM   #19
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have KOBO, Nook, Kindle Scribe and Boox. They are all probably the same in re to side loaded content. BOOX may be good. I have not heard of any space restrictions
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 01:27 PM   #20
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
what's D&T?

and i didn't know badereader was a bad source, i apologize! but given that i don't like how surveillance-heavy Kindles are out of the box, i think it would probably be more practical at this point in time to switch to a different (non-Amazon) line of ereaders.
what do you mean by surveillance heavy? all ebook providers monitor our reading and usage
Advert
Old 08-08-2023, 02:07 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
what do you mean by surveillance heavy? all ebook providers monitor our reading and usage
No, they don't. Though probably all subscription/borrow/loan systems and KU does.
Obviously they all know what they have sold. But even with Amazon (the most invasive major seller) you can buy ebooks, download to PC, transfer to Kindle via USB and never turn on WiFi and they will never know your reading & usage.

Amazon kindle app and Google playbooks on Android do both connect to internet without you even opening the app.

Pocketbook app on Android tries but respects system "network forbidden" setting.

It's easier to buy from Kobo and have no monitoring. They have Download to PC even if you have no Kobo.

But with all ebook outright sellers (not loans/subscriptions/rental) you can download and "sideload" such that even if you do turn on WiFi the book usuage isn't reported on Kindle or Kobo.

ebooks.com sells and doesn't monitor use afterwords.

Smashwords/D2D sell without DRM and don't monitor use.

All online sellers track what they sell, but that isn't monitoring our reading and usage.

Avoid direct downloads to a device and especially to an App and there is unlikely to be monitoring of your reading and usage. It would be illegal in many countries for any sideloaded PD or outright bought ebook and easy to avoid on a dedicated device. Apps on iOS or Android need a little more care.

In terms of sales only paper for cash locally is likely to be anonymous. But knowing who a book was sold to isn't monitoring our reading and usage.
Old 08-08-2023, 02:09 PM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I have KOBO, Nook, Kindle Scribe and Boox. They are all probably the same in re to side loaded content.
No, they're not. For example, you can manage metadata (including series) and collections of your sideloaded books automatically on a Kobo, while you can do nothing of the sort on a Kindle or a Nook.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 02:56 PM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No, they're not. For example, you can manage metadata (including series) and collections of your sideloaded books automatically on a Kobo, while you can do nothing of the sort on a Kindle or a Nook.
Exactly.
Even an aged Sony (PRS-350 or PRS-T2) is better than current Kindle and Nook.
The Kobo is simply the best for managing metadata. No problem having 5,000 ebooks and quickly finding anything, PD or bought.

The Kindle Series data off Amazon is often wrong and can't be edited. You need to jail break to manage Collections, the Website management is useless.

I couldn't be paid to go back to Amazon Kindle or B&N Nook, though I have still 3 Amazon Kindle models to test our own formatting.

The Android eink, even with KOReader, is the worst to use.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:12 PM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I couldn't be paid to go back to Amazon Kindle or B&N Nook, though I have still 3 Amazon Kindle models to test our own formatting.

The Android eink, even with KOReader, is the worst to use.
I would go back to a Kindle only if they came out with some super-hyper hardware that's miles better than anything else, and maybe not even then. Nook... no way, unless they completely overhaul their software. Android... not interested.
Old 08-08-2023, 04:14 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Kobo is simply the best for managing metadata...

I couldn't be paid to go back to Amazon Kindle or B&N Nook...
I agree, for DRM-strippers, for sideloaders, Kobo is the best.

But honestly, I could live with a Kindle or a Nook as my only reader and be fine. The metadata is nice to have. But in the end, I enjoy the reading experience enough on all three devices.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 04:50 PM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But honestly, I could live with a Kindle or a Nook as my only reader and be fine. The metadata is nice to have. But in the end, I enjoy the reading experience enough on all three devices.
I could live with a Kindle or even a Nook only if nothing else was available. They'd still beat paper books. Any eink, even an Android eink tablet, would be preferable to paper. Fortunately we still have a pretty wide selection to choose from.
Old 08-08-2023, 05:12 PM   #27
HLS
Wizard

Quote:

Never heard of it.
Old 08-08-2023, 06:09 PM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I agree, for DRM-strippers, for sideloaders, Kobo is the best.

Quote:
I could live with a Kindle or even a Nook only if nothing else was available. They'd still beat paper books. Any eink, even an Android eink tablet, would be preferable to paper. Fortunately we still have a pretty wide selection to choose from.
Yes, if Kobo didn't exist I'd be using a Kindle and beats paper, both for fun reading and also proof/annotate where I've saved about 8,000 sheets of print. It was also so slow, never mind the expense, to print a novel. I copied annotations off Kindles for a few years.

But if Amazon and Kindle didn't exist, I'd not be using a Nook, but likely Sony would still be making them. A pain to get annotations off the PRS-350 (I experimented). The PRS-350 and the PRS-T2 are both still better (and still on original batteries!) than older Kindle Basics and the Nook Touch I had. The current basic is a bit like a PW3.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-08-2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2023, 06:27 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Never heard of it.
Then you probably don't hang out in the Kobo forum here, don't use Calibre, or don't do either. Or you never sideload. Which is fine, if that's what you want. But yeah, there are considerable differences in managing sideloaded books on a Kobo vs on a Kindle/Nook.
Old 08-08-2023, 07:07 PM   #30
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
i currently have a Fire HD 10, but in light of amazon making sideloading content impossible, i'm looking to move away from amazon ereaders/tablets. source. i'm kind of considering the b&n ereaders, primarily for their average price point, but i know i've heard good things about kobo, and i also know i've heard that b&n isn't really upgrading the nook with any frequency.

if anyone has recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated. :-)
I can side load with no issues on fire tablets and the ereaders