Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-07-2023, 08:32 AM   #1
finalgirlfall
finalgirlfall began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10
looking to move away from kindle--recommendations?

i currently have a Fire HD 10, but in light of amazon making sideloading content impossible, i'm looking to move away from amazon ereaders/tablets. source. i'm kind of considering the b&n ereaders, primarily for their average price point, but i know i've heard good things about kobo, and i also know i've heard that b&n isn't really upgrading the nook with any frequency.

if anyone has recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Last edited by finalgirlfall; 08-07-2023 at 11:58 AM.
finalgirlfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 11:56 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Personally, I prefer the Kobo ereaders to the B&N ereaders. The main reason for me is that a Kobo user tends to look at you blankly when you mention rooting or jailbreaking since Kobo's ereaders are an open system. I like some of B&N's hardware but their software is a pain to use.

If you are a calibre user, Kobo and calibre are almost a perfect match.

Anyhow, the link you provided seems to be borked (it has both http and https prefixes) so here's the fixed link:

Amazon pulling the plug on downloading e-books via USB and its impact
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2023, 12:00 PM   #3
finalgirlfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Personally, I prefer the Kobo ereaders to the B&N ereaders. The main reason for me is that a Kobo user tends to look at you blankly when you mention rooting or jailbreaking since Kobo's ereaders are an open system. I like some of B&N's hardware but their software is a pain to use.

If you are a calibre user, Kobo and calibre are almost a perfect match.

Anyhow, the link you provided seems to be borked (it has both http and https prefixes) so here's the fixed link:

Amazon pulling the plug on downloading e-books via USB and its impact
thank you for the input!!! ^_^ the kobo aura edition 1 has a microSD slot, right? (and sorry about the busted link--not sure what happened there!)
Old 08-07-2023, 12:04 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalgirlfall View Post
thank you for the input!!! ^_^ the kobo aura edition 1 has a microSD slot, right? (and sorry about the busted link--not sure what happened there!)
The original Aura did have a µSD card slot but is a bit older device.

For the link, I suspect that it came up with the http:// and the link was pasted after that.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 12:50 PM   #5
finalgirlfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The original Aura did have a µSD card slot but is a bit older device.

For the link, I suspect that it came up with the http:// and the link was pasted after that.
hmm. how's the process of exporting annotations from a kobo device to, say, a laptop? (if you happen to know, that is--like, even if it's clunky [not much of a downside for me], is it doable?) and do any more recent kobo models have a µSD slot?
Advert
Old 08-07-2023, 01:08 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I use Kobo Utilities on Calibre.
Far better than Kindle or Sony solutions I used in the past. Works on Mac, Linux or Windows.

I copy & paste into a textfile. I used to use Notepad++ on Windows and now use KATE.
I switched from MS Word to LO Writer long before switching to Linux.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 01:22 PM   #7
finalgirlfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I use Kobo Utilities on Calibre.
Far better than Kindle or Sony solutions I used in the past. Works on Mac, Linux or Windows.

I copy & paste into a textfile. I used to use Notepad++ on Windows and now use KATE.
I switched from MS Word to LO Writer long before switching to Linux.
KATE? i don't think i'm familiar... i know LO Writer, though. :-)
Old 08-07-2023, 01:55 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
No one has pointed out that badereader is a poor source of information in general?

That particular article looks to be based on mobileread posts complaining about amazon continuing to make download for USB transfer to e-ink kindles less and less convenient. The OP has a fire tablet for which D&T has never been available.

I don't recall anything ever being written about being able to copy personal documents to fire tablets changing, but I don't keep up with things related to fires. I would think that as long as it remains possible to install third party reading software there is no danger to reading any book in any format on fire tablets.

Last edited by j.p.s; 08-07-2023 at 01:57 PM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 05:09 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
KATE? i don't think i'm familiar... i know LO Writer, though. :-)
KATE is a native Linux equivalent to Windows Notepad++, there are others.
Both, as well as text edit, do tabs per document, names sessions that load a set of files, selectable programming syntax if needed and powerful regex based search&replace. You can group text documents per project and have an interface like a tabbed browser.
Notepad++ can work on WINE on Linux, but since Notepad++ is based on a Linux program there are plenty of native Linux ones.
KATE may stand for KDE Advanced Text Editor, though it doesn't need KDE.

Notepad++ has no connection to Windows Notepad (of which there are different kinds) other than being for Windows.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:10 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
No one has pointed out that badereader is a poor source of information in general?

That particular article looks to be based on mobileread posts complaining about amazon continuing to make download for USB transfer to e-ink kindles less and less convenient. The OP has a fire tablet for which D&T has never been available.

I don't recall anything ever being written about being able to copy personal documents to fire tablets changing, but I don't keep up with things related to fires. I would think that as long as it remains possible to install third party reading software there is no danger to reading any book in any format on fire tablets.
The article is bonkers.
Old 08-08-2023, 07:53 AM   #11
finalgirlfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
KATE is a native Linux equivalent to Windows Notepad++, there are others.
Both, as well as text edit, do tabs per document, names sessions that load a set of files, selectable programming syntax if needed and powerful regex based search&replace. You can group text documents per project and have an interface like a tabbed browser.
Notepad++ can work on WINE on Linux, but since Notepad++ is based on a Linux program there are plenty of native Linux ones.
KATE may stand for KDE Advanced Text Editor, though it doesn't need KDE.

Notepad++ has no connection to Windows Notepad (of which there are different kinds) other than being for Windows.
i see, thank you for explaining!! ^_^
Old 08-08-2023, 07:56 AM   #12
finalgirlfall

Quote:

what's D&T?

and i didn't know badereader was a bad source, i apologize! but given that i don't like how surveillance-heavy Kindles are out of the box, i think it would probably be more practical at this point in time to switch to a different (non-Amazon) line of ereaders.
Old 08-08-2023, 08:52 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

D&T, re: Amazon
Go to Amazon Website and login.
Go to Content and Devices (name varies with MarketPlace)
Go Books
select more under the button on row with a title
1st Option is Delete
2nd Option is Download and Transfer via USB (or similar)
You have to then select a registered Kindle (or maybe some Fire models but not an App), even if there is only one.

D&T is downloading using a browser. Works on ANY OS that supports javascript browser, Saving to local storage and later ability to browse that and copy to the Kindle selected via USB. Trivial on Windows, mac OS and Linux and works on Android with an adaptor on USB port. Maybe on iOS too.
The file(s) mostly only work on the Kindle you selected unless you use the NoDRM/DeDRM plug-in on Calibre.

I've had 5 different models of Kindle and also tried a PW4. Still have 3 different Kindles, used for test, or purchasing an ebook from Amazon, but maybe 90% of my ebooks are not from Amazon.
I've also used / had a Nook, iRiver Cover Story, 3 models of Sony, a reMarkable (which isn't), an android eink, a Y-Ben P47L and even 3 models of LCD based dedicated Binatone.
I've also used eBooks on Palm OS, Symbian and Android apps.

Kobo is the best, and I find of the 6 models of Kobo I have or had that the best all round one is the Sage 8″. I never use WiFi on any of my ereaders.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-08-2023 at 12:00 PM. Reason: ZodWallop says Fire on list.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:31 AM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
what's D&T?
Download and transfer via USB.

Quote:
and i didn't know badereader was a bad source...
Just look through the article for facts. Where does it site any source saying Amazon will make sideloading any more difficult?

The article's title is clickbait: Amazon pulling the plug on downloading e-books via USB and its impact

But there is absolutely no support. No source of any kind in the article.
Quote:
There have been persistent rumors on this, that Amazon is planning to eventually shut out the option to sideload e-books to the Kindle via the USB port.
There have been persistent rumors that the Earth is flat and that the British monarchy are lizard people.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 10:33 AM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
The OP has a fire tablet for which D&T has never been available.
When I have used Download and Transfer USB, it asks which device it is for: my Paperwhite 3 or my super-old Fire tablet.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote