Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2022, 03:10 PM   #1
brown.ml
brown.ml began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD and Forma
Angry Kobo Sage Issues

A little background: I Have a Kobo Clara HD, had a Forma, have a Libra H2O and now a Sage. The Clara HD is for Backup and left switched off. The Forma had button problems and went on to Goodwill. The Libra H2O has button problems and I chose the Sage over Libra 2 because of the its extra capabilities, which I have yet to use. I manage my ebook library on my iMac using Calibre.
I read a lot. I get about six hours on the Sage, reading with the WiFi on and Bluetooth off. Brightness is at 30 percent and Natural Light is balanced at 50 percent.
Lately, I have noticed that the Sage will freeze on page turns using either the buttons or swiping. I can release the freeze by closing the cover and reopening it. A second issue is the the Sage unilaterally chooses to switch the natural light mode on and off at random. Not sure wither that is related to the page refresh function or not.
The worst issue is updating the Sage's library or adding books to it. At least six times now, I have added books from Calibre via USB and instead of importing the books after being ejected, the the Sage has rebooted in the factory refresh mode, and I have to log into my Kobo account. The Sage then tries to import my library from who knows where, and freezes at either 45 or 65 percent. If I power off the Sage and restart it, and reconnect it to Calibre, I can download the books missing from the on-board library of approximately 1000 books.
Has anybody else had the latter problem? If so, what was your solution?
brown.ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:33 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Do you have the 4.31 firmware? That's buggy. The solution is to downgrade to 4.30 and keep wifi + syncing off until Kobo has released a fix.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #3
brown.ml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Do you have the 4.31 firmware? That's buggy. The solution is to downgrade to 4.30 and keep wifi + syncing off until Kobo has released a fix.
I was thinking of doing that and have downloaded 4.30 firmware, but have no idea on how to proceed given I am using an iMac running MacOS 12.2 Monterey. How do I remove the newer firmware? Keeping WiFi and Bluetooth off is no a problem. Any help will be gratefully received.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:07 PM   #4
Lusephur
Connoisseur
Lusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
unpack the zip, place folder in .kobo folder on device (working from memory here.)

edit : yep as noted here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...48&postcount=2

Obtain the firmware from here https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html locate your device, (sage) select other versions and 4.30 appears )

Last edited by Lusephur; 02-25-2022 at 05:11 PM.
Lusephur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 05:58 PM   #5
brown.ml

Tried that multiple times, Lusephur, even after factory reset and my Sage always returns to 4.31. Thanks for the help, but guess I wait have to wait for Kobo to fix their firmware.
Advert
Old 02-25-2022, 06:58 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown.ml View Post
Tried that multiple times, Lusephur, even after factory reset and my Sage always returns to 4.31. Thanks for the help, but guess I wait have to wait for Kobo to fix their firmware.
Do you have automatic syncing enabled?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:10 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
You have to do things to prevent the firmware updating. The simplest way is to do the setup using the Kobo destop application and replacing the firmware update files with the version you want to use. And then turn off WiFi when using it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:23 PM   #8
brown.ml

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You have to do things to prevent the firmware updating. The simplest way is to do the setup using the Kobo destop application and replacing the firmware update files with the version you want to use. And then turn off WiFi when using it.
Thanks for the help.I tried the Kobo desktop application and it basically forced me to either open WiFi or download the files via the web. Could not find a way to replace the firmware update. Attached is a screenshot of my /Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo folder. Did I insert the 4.30 update files in the correct place? Restarting with WiFi and Bluetooth off and and updates disallowed in the preferences still results in booting into 4.31
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 8.08.46 PM.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	192491  
Old 02-26-2022, 09:10 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks for the help.I tried the Kobo desktop application and it basically forced me to either open WiFi or download the files via the web. Could not find a way to replace the firmware update. Attached is a screenshot of my /Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo folder. Did I insert the 4.30 update files in the correct place? Restarting with WiFi and Bluetooth off and and updates disallowed in the preferences still results in booting into 4.31
Just like doing the setup over WiFi, the desktop application will download the currently available firmware for you. Just let it. After it has finished, it will start downloading books, you can skip that if you want. When it prompts to eject the device, don't.

Look on the device in the directory ".kobo". You will find two files, "KoboRoot.tgz" and "manifest.md5sum", and a directory, "upgrade". Replace these with the files and directory from the firmware package for the version you want to use.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 08:21 AM   #10
jeff862
jeff862 began at the beginning.

Device: jetlite
is it true kobo sage has poor battery usage.. a charge will last only with 8 hours with wifi, bluetooth off ,, brightness at 40 percent ... please help i plan to buy sage.. is it advisable to buy sage over forma.. i have kindle paperwhite 32gb before planning to buy sage bec of 8 inches screen
jeff862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:13 AM   #11
lesley9
Enthusiast
lesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it islesley9 knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Oasis 2
If battery is number one for you, get Forma or Libra 2. I have the Sage and am perfectly happy with it. I'm not frustrated by what I know is lesser battery life. It recharges very quickly. It has a wonderful big screen with all the current Kobo bells and whistles. There are many YouTube reviews of Kobo models that may help you make your decision.

I wish I could give more data on battery life but I recharge well before the battery dies. I read at 70% brightness with wifi on and towards larger fonts which means more frequent page turns.

I also am coming from Kindle (Oasis 2). I wanted the Sage's 8 inch screen. Makes Oasis look puny and with outdated screen. Maybe compares better with latest Paperwhite.

Last edited by lesley9; 03-03-2022 at 09:16 AM.
lesley9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 11:32 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@brown.ml, TURN OFF WIFI. DO NO TURN IT BACK ON UNTIL 4.31 IS EITHER PULLED OR A NEWER FIRMWARE IS RELEASED,

Now download and do a manual install of 4.30. You will stay on 4.30. You will not be able to sync. Download from Kobo as ePub and use Calibre (with the KoboTouchExtended driver) to convert to KePub if you do read KePub.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-04-2022 at 11:35 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote