Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-23-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
sowzeli
sowzeli began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Broke my voyage glass :(

Hi.

My kindle voyage was in my back pocket and I sat on it. Now the screen is broken as you can see in the picture.

But I still can use the side buttons to turn to another page, and lights are working fine. The only thing that doesn't work is touch.

I read other threads, some users suggested buying screen from aliexpress, I have two questions:

1.I don't know if I have to buy whole new touch screen, or just the front panel which is broken. How can I know which one should I buy?

2.Are those aliexpress screens are legit? or they are built in china and low quality?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 11.15.01 PM.png
Views:	418
Size:	988.7 KB
ID:	173090  
sowzeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Subconsciously you really wanted to upgrade to an Oasis.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
sowzeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Subconsciously you really wanted to upgrade to an Oasis.
hahaha Actually I don't like Oasis.
I bought a paperwhite, But I'll sell it when I fix my voyage.

I don't like the design of Oasis, specially that big handle part. and It is not as comfortable as voyage or paperwhite to carry around in my pocket.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Voyage units are sometimes put on sale as refurbished units. I believe a sale was just posted here last week.

It may be cheaper (and maybe less of a hassle) to wait a bit to see if something turns up.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:46 PM   #5
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like Amazon sells refurbed voyages for $139, which might be your best bet. Alibaba has vendors that sell the digitizer and that sell the screen (possibly integrated with digitizer?) - the two are fused together, so you really want a display assembly. Most of the cheaper/broken voyages I see on ebay have a broken screen... haven't seen any that someone has bricked for a while, or which is locked.
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In checking some previous threads over in the Deals forum, on Aug. 14, Woot had some refurbished Voyages for $75.00. (They sell out VERY quickly!)

They're long gone, but more will most likely turn up if you have enough patience to wait.

Anyway, keep an eye on the Deals forum, the forum where Mobileread's members are supposed to post such things.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Certified Refurbished Voyage, in stock September 1:

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ref...sr=1-1-catcorr

Certified refurbs carry the same 12 month warranty.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
sowzeli

Voyage refurbished for $139 is good also. I already bought the new paperwhite, I just wanted to fix my voyage. voyage glass and e-ink display are fused together, and the lowest I could find was $60 in aliexpress. and It doesn't worth paying that much while you can buy a certified refurbished for $139.

Another idea came up to my mind, My voyage is working fine, I use the side buttons to turn to another pages, I wanted to search If I could find a way to change the current book that I'm reading by tweaking voyage configuration files, or by jailbreaking it. I don't know.

I may create a new thread about it.

Thanks guys, again, I didn't know there is a such friendly forum for readers, I'm glad I joined you
Old 08-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #9
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Voyages are once again available on Woot.com. They are labeled as "Open Box" units.

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/kind...lnd_cat_pc_3_1
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

^ And now already showing as sold out, unfortunately.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #11
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^ And now already showing as sold out, unfortunately.
Well that was fast.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:11 AM   #12
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Amazon Warehouse Deals has Used ones ranging from $84 to $104 depending on condition, plus an extra 20% off at checkout

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-li...y_technology=0
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:01 AM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
Amazon Warehouse Deals has Used ones ranging from $84 to $104 depending on condition, plus an extra 20% off at checkout

I'd be concerned about no warranty.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:47 PM   #14
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'd be concerned about no warranty.
It's a risk, but for a bit over $80 I got a Very Good condition WiFi plus 3G model, delivered without special offers, and in all my years of using Kindles, I've never used the Warranty, they just work out of the box and continue to do so.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post

FURTHER INFORMATION:

I see these are "Fulfilled by Amazon," which means they are in one of Amazon's fulfillment warehouses. Amazon's policy states:

About Fulfilled by Amazon

Items "Fulfilled by Amazon" are offered by a third-party seller, but shipped from an Amazon Fulfillment Center to you.

All Amazon.com standard shipping rates and policies apply to these items when shipped within the U.S., including free shipping on qualifying orders and Prime shipping. International shipping may not be available for all items.

When your order ships, the carrier, ship date, and estimated delivery date for your package will be listed in Your Account and can be found in your shipment confirmation e-mail. If you have a tracking or delivery confirmation number, you can track your package by clicking the Track packages link in Your Account.

Amazon also handles all customer service and product returns for "Fulfilled by Amazon" items. If you need assistance with anything, please visit our Help pages by clicking the word "Help" at the top of any page of our website.

Also, keep in mind that post #7 from above by Deskisamess.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-26-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Tags
fix, kindle, screen broken