Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
xiaoguixp
xiaoguixp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Angry Deregistering removes all contents?

Hi all,

I had a Paperwhite 3, and recently bought an Oasis 2. I have two Kindle accounts (for different countries). With KPW3, I could easily register and deregister my accounts, without losing the local contents. This meant I could buy different contents from the two stores without losing any content on the device.

However, with KO2, when I deregister, it would clear up all the local contents! When I register it with another account, it would start like this is a new/empty device. I can no longer easily enjoy contents from two countries.

Does any one notice this on KO2? And is there any way to keep the local contents while deregistering?

Thanks,
xiaoguixp
xiaoguixp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Are you in looking in the DOWNLOADED tab? I wonder if Amazon changed this...e-ink models have always kept their downloaded content when deregistered.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
xiaoguixp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Are you in looking in the DOWNLOADED tab? I wonder if Amazon changed this...e-ink models have always kept their downloaded content when deregistered.
Yes, I checked the Downloaded tab. Actually I compared the messages pop up when I clicked the Deregistering button. The KO2 added a sentence saying the contents would be removed.

This really frustrates me. Is there any way to circumvent it?
Old 05-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Not that I'm aware of, and if there is a way, you can't post it here.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Not completely circumvent, but you could copy everything in your documents folder prior to deregistering, and then copy all back when registered again. The DRM would still be intact, so could only copy it back to same device.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2018, 10:58 PM   #6
xiaoguixp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Not completely circumvent, but you could copy everything in your documents folder prior to deregistering, and then copy all back when registered again. The DRM would still be intact, so could only copy it back to same device.
This looks like a workaround. It's good to know DRM is tied to device not account. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2018, 02:02 AM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoguixp View Post
This looks like a workaround. It's good to know DRM is tied to device not account. Thanks!
The other workaround is just to remove the DRM and sideload the books. If you keep switching, eventually you will set off a red flag and Amazon is going to want proof of residence or something. Same as having one account and changing your address to circumvent geo restrictions. Sure it works, but do it too often and it won't work anymore.

Me personally am okay with removing DRM on my purchases, but not okay with geo circumventing. Amazon apparently does not want to sell me certain German ebooks, but the translation is available. No skin off my nose - besides the English ebook is usually cheaper than the original anyway.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote