Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Latest Paperwhite Update

It looks like Amazon is going to claim about 1/3 of my home screen for pushing ads on the Paperwhite. I'm not liking this:
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node...30_deveng_ku16

Also it looks "too busy" compared to the minimalist current home page.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
You'll be able to turn that off
- says another minimalist

Menu | Settings | Device Options |Personalize your Kindle | Advanced Options | Home Screen View off
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
You'll be able to turn that off
- says another minimalist
That would be good. I don't like the big recommendations list on my home page. Also I like to see my top 6 collections on my home page.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
Conan46
Fanatic

Am I correct in thinking Amazon has added another step between getting to my collections? Really the only thing I'm seeing that I'm impressed with is the settings gear. For those into Goodreads they have added features, but not my cup of tea.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
rpgmaker
Connoisseur
rpgmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Question

I came here to ask about this. I have blocked automatic firmware updates not only because I don't trust those Amazon updates but because I use a font size mod that doesn't seem to be compatible with newer firmware versions and since I don't really need whatever new "features" Amazon has cooked lately but I REALLY NEED my custom font sizes I have not decided to risk them by updating. My question is, will this update be blocked like all the others have been so far? I ask because this is the first time I receive an email like this from Amazon so maybe this update will be done differently than the others.

It's been a long time since I messed with the kindle but I think the method I used to block the updates was the one where you have to create a folder named "update.bin.tmp.partial" on the kindle root directory. Please let me know if I'm safe or if I need to implement another one. My fw version is 5.4.5.1.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rpgmaker; 02-12-2016 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Added fw version.
rpgmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #6
snoeki
Connoisseur
snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2 & Kobo glo hd
What font size mod did you use? I can try if it works with the new firmware.

The FONT_RAMP trick stopped working on my device. I have read comments from users who state it still works on their paperwhite, but on my paperwhite 2 it is now the default settings and I cannot get it back to work again.

Last edited by snoeki; 02-13-2016 at 07:10 AM.
snoeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoeki View Post

The FONT_RAMP trick stopped working on my device. I have read comments from users who state it still works on their paperwhite, but on my paperwhite 2 it is now the default settings and I cannot get it back to work again.
I can verify that FONT_RAMP still works on my Voyage running 5.7.2.1 Bear in mind, though, that it only works with KF8 (.azw3) files. If your book is in mobi (.azw, .prc) or the new enhanced format (KFX) it won't work.

This has always been the case with this particular hack.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #8
zombywoof
zombywoof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I do not like the look of this either...will keeping my Kindle (Voyage) in airplane mode prevent it from updating?
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I do not like the look of this either...will keeping my Kindle (Voyage) in airplane mode prevent it from updating?
Yes--the your Kindle needs to connect to Amazon's servers to download the update (unless you download the update manually). Airplane mode keeps the wi-fi off, so your Kindle won't be able to connect and download the update.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #10
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:

Thanks for the offer I really appreciate it! I used this one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1431 btw, it seems development stopped for that hack or was it moved somewhere else? I will appreciate the new location if anyone knows it.

I was not aware of the FONT_RAMP hack and I'm reading about it now. I haven't been keeping up with KPW2 developments since I bought the kindle and installed all the hacks I wanted so I'm kind of lost right now

Another question, my firmware is 5.4.5.1 and I believe I jailbroke it, if I update to the new firmware from my version will it keep the jailbreak?
Old 02-13-2016, 09:59 PM   #11
MJ_Paperwhite
MJ_Paperwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite and DX
Does the update change Tweeting?

I often tweet passages from Kindle books. This recently stopped working from the iOS Kindle App but kept working from my Paperwhite. Is the new software "upgrade" going to ruin this feature there also?

I've put mine in airplane mode for now. Of course, I can't tweet (or download books) in airplane mode either.
MJ_Paperwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:20 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@rpgmaker,

kaznelson has not updated his hack in a while.

As for the rest, you have already seen my posts about blocking the update, and NiLuJe's posts in his Fonts hack thread -- so I won't elaborate further.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #13
snoeki
Connoisseur
snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2 & Kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
This has always been the case with this particular hack.

Shari
I see! I used to read azw3 books, but I switched to mobi a few months ago (some of my converted azw3 books didn't let me change fonts due to errors in the original epub books). So now I know why my font hack stopped working.

Now I have to choose to the nice font sizes and use azw3 or I continue to read mobi... mmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgmaker View Post
Thanks for the offer I really appreciate it! I used this one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1431 btw, it seems development stopped for that hack or was it moved somewhere else? I will appreciate the new location if anyone knows it.
I will check it out, I was away from home for a few days. If you read azw3 the font_hack option is really easy to use and it worked really well for me.

But to be honoust: I don't see any reason to update your kindle, I prefered it a bit more when I got it out of the box, the updates I have installed looked nice, but there is no need to update. Ok, you can use goodreads now, but I works 100% better on my tablet for example. The only update i really enjoyed was the one who gave me an English - Dutch dictionary for free (I bought a dictionary at first, but that one sucks if you compare it to the incredible great free dictionary I got in an update from Amazon).

The new homescreen is awful, I don't have advertisements on my Kindle, but now I have a bar with recommended books and I don't like it at all. so I turned it off. Why did I update? I don't know, it looked cool when I first saw a picture, but well, I don't like it that much. The nicer option menu's are useful, but the older ones worked fine also.

Last edited by snoeki; 02-14-2016 at 01:28 PM.
snoeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #14
Conan46
Fanatic

Leaving mine in Airplane mode for the time being. I've seen so many updates of firmware on various devices that frequently over complicates a perfectly fine interface, or adds features/bloat that slow the device or add more steps to an already simple solution.
I'm grateful we have Calibre and can still sideload ebooks.

Last edited by Conan46; 02-14-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #15
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
But to be honoust: I don't see any reason to update your kindle, I prefered it a bit more when I got it out of the box, the updates I have installed looked nice, but there is no need to update. Ok, you can use goodreads now, but I works 100% better on my tablet for example. The only update i really enjoyed was the one who gave me an English - Dutch dictionary for free (I bought a dictionary at first, but that one sucks if you compare it to the incredible great free dictionary I got in an update from Amazon).
I probably wont but that 'personal' label really bothers me! It's the only reason why I'm considering the update.

Quote:
The new homescreen is awful, I don't have advertisements on my Kindle, but now I have a bar with recommended books and I don't like it at all. so I turned it off. Why did I update? I don't know, it looked cool when I first saw a picture, but well, I don't like it that much. The nicer option menu's are useful, but the older ones worked fine also.
I prefer the old one from the looks of it but you can disable the new home screen in the settings.