Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #16
wayne5
wayne5 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
The errors about /proc/keypad are not fatal, you can ignore them. The single important error here is "Unable to connect to VNC viewer". If you run VNC display :1 on the RasPi, you need to run "/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.15.1:1". On the RasPi, you'll likely want to switch to x11vnc at some point if you want to use keyboard/mouse connected to it. For now, vncserver (Xvnc) will work fine. I hope the space between ":" and "1" is just a quotation error?

Errrm - you *did* set up USB networking and tested it, right? So you're sure the IP addresses are set up properly and you can make connections? Checked the firewall, as twobob suggested?
Yes , It said a VNC server is running :1 on the Raspi. I did again with no space between ":" and "1". But it requires password. How to do next?
wayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #17
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Please answer my questions. Like whether you did set up USB networking.

Also, read the documentation of the software you use. When you run kvncviewer without any options, it will print help messages explaining how to specify a password. Alternatively, don't run your VNC server with a passwort requirement. Again, look into its documentation.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #18
wayne5

Ok. I am always typing on KPW2 to control Raspi by SSH. There is no USB networking problem between them.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #19
wayne5

Unhappy

Quote:

Also, read the documentation of the software you use. When you run kvncviewer without any options, it will print help messages explaining how to specify a password. Alternatively, don't run your VNC server with a passwort requirement. Again, look into its documentation.
I was following with the site:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...14&postcount=3
But I don't know about the NOTES:ssh root@<kindleIP> "while :; do eips ''; usleep 90000; done;"
Besides, I type /mnt/us/kindelvncviewer/kvncviewer.sh in kterm. It only said "Couldn't convert 'config.lua 'to host address" and some about "/proc/keypad".

Last edited by wayne5; 06-20-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #20
wayne5

Unhappy

Quote:

And I was trying to add password before the hostname. Rusulted in "...event on fd #5"and "partially updating eink display (0.46)-(11.71)"continually. ?_?

Last edited by wayne5; 06-20-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Advert
Old 06-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #21
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's good, you're almost there then. Now, only the refresh loop is missing. You've cited it above (that while... loop). You will need to run that in the background. Please accept that you need to learn about what you're doing. It is not end-user ready software by any means.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #22
wayne5

Quote:
That's good, you're almost there then. Now, only the refresh loop is missing. You've cited it above (that while... loop). You will need to run that in the background. Please accept that you need to learn about what you're doing. It is not end-user ready software by any means.
Would I run the codes "while :; do eips ''; usleep 90000; done;" on kterm? Is there a example?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #23
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne5 View Post
Would I run the codes "while :; do eips ''; usleep 90000; done;" on kterm? Is there a example?
Not if your using the screen to display something non-kterm.
Enter that command from the ssh terminal connection into the kindle.
(You can have multiple ssh terminal sessions open to the kindle at the same time - this is *nix, not one of those O.S. that you have to pay-per-user session.)

Yes:
while :; do eips ''; usleep 90000; done; &
that is eips followed by two(2) single quotes
That refreshes the screen
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #24
wayne5

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
(You can have multiple ssh terminal sessions open to the kindle at the same time - this is *nix, not one of those O.S. that you have to pay-per-user session.)

Yes:
Not good, I ssh the KPW2 via wifi and run the codes . Then I run kvncviewer on kterm but it showed little of the desktop and still said "partially updateing eink display (757,742)-(616,767)"

Last edited by wayne5; 06-20-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #25
wayne5

Question Keyboard and mouse didn't work?

Quote:

Yes:
How to test it?
Old 06-21-2014, 02:30 AM   #26
hawhill
Wizard

If you see a (however small) part of the desktop, it basically works. kvncviewer will spit out *lots* of these "partially updating eink display" messages. That's normal debugging output, not an error.

If it stops at that point, well, you might be running into the aforementioned problem that's left in kvncviewer. Except for further debugging its code, I have no suggestions left, sorry. I can't really give an estimate when I would eventually get to work on the code myself again, as I'm terribly short of spare time, sorry :-(

As the Kindle Touch devices do run an X server, however, I encourage you to try an X11 based VNC viewer, too. I think nobody here did yet, but it might be easier to get that running than to debug Lua/C code in kvncviewer - depending on your background :-) I'm not aware of a packaged version, though.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:20 AM   #27
wayne5

How to creat shell script on the kpw2 and get updates as I edit ti on Windows ?
Cited:
"while :; do eips ''; usleep 90000; done;"
"wrap the same above code in a named shell script on the kindle and call/kill that to get updates."
Old 06-21-2014, 06:54 AM   #28
wayne5

Smile

Quote:
If you see a (however small) part of the desktop, it basically works. kvncviewer will spit out *lots* of these "partially updating eink display" messages. That's normal debugging output, not an error.

If it stops at that point, well, you might be running into the aforementioned problem that's left in kvncviewer. Except for further debugging its code, I have no suggestions left, sorry. I can't really give an estimate when I would eventually get to work on the code myself again, as I'm terribly short of spare time, sorry :-(

As the Kindle Touch devices do run an X server, however, I encourage you to try an X11 based VNC viewer, too. I think nobody here did yet, but it might be easier to get that running than to debug Lua/C code in kvncviewer - depending on your background :-) I'm not aware of a packaged version, though.
I run x11vnc on Raspi and got the desktop on KPW2 ,but there is a problem of a screen resolution. It is small, and I cann't find out how to change it.

Is it the thing in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/calibration.conf ?
And why the monitor it detected is 320x240?

Last edited by wayne5; 06-21-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne5 View Post
Not good, I ssh the KPW2 via wifi and run the codes . Then I run kvncviewer on kterm but it showed little of the desktop and still said "partially updateing eink display (757,742)-(616,767)"
You **can** run more than one ssh session at a time.

On the machine you use for the client - just open **another** terminal window and ssh into the Kindle **AGAIN**.
Leave the kindle's display free for use as the vnc viewer (no kterm running on it).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #30
wayne5

Quote:
You **can** run more than one ssh session at a time.

On the machine you use for the client - just open **another** terminal window and ssh into the Kindle **AGAIN**.
Leave the kindle's display free for use as the vnc viewer (no kterm running on it).
Err, what I want to do is using the vncviewer on kindle without using computer to ssh into it to ruan the codes at the same time.

Besides, why I using the X11vnc on Raspi and the desktop displayed on kindle is very small like the shape of the stamp. Although I can control with keyboard and mouse, the display setting on Raspi desktop said the monitor it detected is 320x240? And can I change it ?

Last edited by wayne5; 06-21-2014 at 08:26 PM.