Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-25-2023, 10:10 PM   #1
R_B98
R_B98 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
E-Reader that can display my Calibre Library?

Hello! I recently found your forum and have been getting more into Calibre and the like. I've had a Kindle Oasis for years and I'm sick of Amazon updating it into oblivion.

I adore the form factor, the buttons and the notch I can use to hold it are amazing... but I'd really like something that could connect to my Calibre content server and just serve up what's there. Is there anything like that at all?

I've seen recommendations for the Libre II or the Sage to replace an Oasis, would those two be able to do that in any way?
R_B98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 10:15 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yes, Kobo generally has the best Calibre integration. Both the Libra 2 and the Sage have buttons with a grip for holding on the side. The difference is that the Libra 2 is 7", has a recessed screen with slightly better clarity, and better battery life. The Sage is 8", has a flush screen, writing capabilities, better performance, and a bit worse battery life.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 10:18 PM   #3
R_B98

So, when you say they have Calibre integration, how does it go about displaying your library? Does it just display it on the device and let you download, or is it a bit more complex than that?
Old 10-25-2023, 11:24 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_B98 View Post
So, when you say they have Calibre integration, how does it go about displaying your library? Does it just display it on the device and let you download, or is it a bit more complex than that?
No, Kobos can't do that. You'll have to connect your Kobo to your computer with an USB cable and send the books from your Calibre library physically over. What Calibre integration means is that the metadata, including the series info and collections (based on tags or whatever custom column you want - the column must be specified in the Kobo driver settings) comes over automatically with the books. If you change metadata in your library later, all that's needed is to connect the Kobo to the computer again and the metadata is automatically updated on the device too, without having to delete and resend the books. But yeah, your Kobo needs to be physically connected to your computer to send the books and the metadata over.

The advantage is that there's no need to do any tag- or series-based sorting and collection creating on the device itself at all - all this data comes over from Calibre when you connect your Kobo.

If you want an ereader that connects to your content server, IMO the Android eink devices can do that via their web browser, for example Onyx Boox devices. But I have no idea what they can display on the device itself, once you've downloaded the books.

Last edited by Sirtel; 10-25-2023 at 11:35 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 12:47 AM   #5
R_B98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No, Kobos can't do that. You'll have to connect your Kobo to your computer with an USB cable and send the books from your Calibre library physically over. What Calibre integration means is that the metadata, including the series info and collections (based on tags or whatever custom column you want - the column must be specified in the Kobo driver settings) comes over automatically with the books. If you change metadata in your library later, all that's needed is to connect the Kobo to the computer again and the metadata is automatically updated on the device too, without having to delete and resend the books. But yeah, your Kobo needs to be physically connected to your computer to send the books and the metadata over.

The advantage is that there's no need to do any tag- or series-based sorting and collection creating on the device itself at all - all this data comes over from Calibre when you connect your Kobo.

If you want an ereader that connects to your content server, IMO the Android eink devices can do that via their web browser, for example Onyx Boox devices. But I have no idea what they can display on the device itself, once you've downloaded the books.
Hmmm... interesting on the Kobo side. I'm a bit disappointed that I would need that direct connection. I'll add the Onyx Boox into the list of eReaders to look into too. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2023, 01:00 AM   #6
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Isn't it possible to do this on Kobos using Koreader and using your Calibre library as OPDS or something like that?

It's not something I've tried, and it would probably be easier using an Android reader anyway.

But look here for inspiration, if you want to use a Kobo: https://blog.videah.net/my-e-reader-setup/
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 02:49 AM   #7
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
How often do you buy new books? Books don't take up much space, so you can just copy every book you own to the device, and then you don't need to use the wired connection again until you buy more and want to read them.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 05:06 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
How often do you buy new books? Books don't take up much space, so you can just copy every book you own to the device, and then you don't need to use the wired connection again until you buy more and want to read them.
Yes. Also applies to PD ebooks, which I usually convert (even epub to epub) on calibre to automatically change formatting. I convert most bought books too to automatically remove line-height and white-space.
So I see the new content on PC at least once (PC= Mac, Windows or Linux for Web downloads and Calibre) and then USB transfer to kobo Sage. I leave cord connected for charging after SW eject.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 06:50 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Hmm. I've been buying ebooks for more than 15 years and my entire library (including PD books and a few hundred PDF books I bought before getting an ereader) would never fit on a 32 GB device. But most ebook libraries are probably smaller, unless there are a lot of PDF, comics and manga.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 09:00 AM   #10
R_B98

Quote:
Do I particularly *need* it to be wireless and stored on my computer and only download what I want? No... but I'm wanting to see if it's possible.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:06 AM   #11
R_B98

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
Isn't it possible to do this on Kobos using Koreader and using your Calibre library as OPDS or something like that?

It's not something I've tried, and it would probably be easier using an Android reader anyway.

But look here for inspiration, if you want to use a Kobo: https://blog.videah.net/my-e-reader-setup/
Ah! Thanks! I'll look in that direction, seems useful.

Tags
calibre, oasis, replacement