Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-04-2023, 08:29 AM   #1
ShadowAUS
ShadowAUS began at the beginning.

Device: none
7-8" Android E-Reader Buying Advice

Hi all, I'm looking at buying my partner an e-reader for Christmas/late January birthday and have just started doing some research. For context she is currently using my Kobo Touch 2 syncing to our Calibre container on our home server.

It will be mostly for epub reading, but she also enjoys manga and comics and would like to be able to read them on the same device as her books. (She currently reads manga/comics on her phone, so a 7-8" device is the perfect upgrade without getting bulky.)

She doesn't care about colour, and would prefer an Android based device as she uses android based reading apps a lot - which also means we don't need expandable storage as outside of those android apps all of our books/comics etc are on our server and we just delete the local copies from our devices as we finish them and redownload them if we want them in the future.

Note taking ability is a plus, but we both have iPad Pro's with Pencils for work/class note taking/design drawing necessities so it's mostly not going to be a function that gets used much.

From my brief research it seems like I only have two main options, the P78 Pro and the Nova Air2. Would love to hear some alternatives if anyone has any, and would love to hear opinions on which of the above would suit our use case more and why we might choose one over the other as they both seem pretty similar on first glance. There's about $100 difference here in Australia, with the P78 Pro being cheaper. Also would love to know if there's any announcements or rumours of new devices that may be released in the next few months that may suit our use cases, as I don't need to purchase it for a while yet.

Thanks for any help!
ShadowAUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:29 PM   #2
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
You have more options, but they are different and more expensive. Personally I'm very satisfied with the Tab Mini C. It's a powerful device, fast and with a very good display if you have the screen permanently illuminated (without illumination it's a very dark screen). And you have the added bonus of colour, which comes in handy not only for watching comics but also for the best display of the applications you install.

But going from a Kobo Touch to a Tab Mini C is perhaps too much of a leap and too surprising. Better to try something more in-between. I like the Onyx software better than Boyue's (Likebook, Meebook, or whatever it's called now) but it's a matter of personal taste, so I'd look for an Onyx device which, as you say, tends to be more expensive.

(Onyx is constantly coming out with new devices. It is quite likely that we will soon have a new 8" device).
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 10:59 AM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
(Onyx is constantly coming out with new devices. It is quite likely that we will soon have a new 8" device).
Nothing is currently planned - just 2 10.3 inch color devices
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 06:19 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
What is the 7.8 Boyue offering like?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 02:36 PM   #5
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Nothing is currently planned - just 2 10.3 inch color devices
New products will be unveiled on 12 October, but so far nothing has been leaked about the event.
Old 10-08-2023, 11:54 PM   #6
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
New products will be unveiled on 12 October, but so far nothing has been leaked about the event.
Won't it just be the Note Air C and TUC+?

I sure hope they add something else. I would love a light gray 7.8" reader with a good screen, page turn buttons and microSD card slot. Or a 10" BW 300 PPI version.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 01:43 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post

I sure hope they add something else. I would love a light gray 7.8" reader with a good screen, page turn buttons and microSD card slot. Or a 10" BW 300 PPI version.
It should be registered with the FCC - but there isn't
Old 10-09-2023, 07:54 AM   #8
cellaris
Addict

Quote:

I agree with @ottischwenk. It's probably the new 10" colour device (and maybe a Palma for the Chinese market). But it's just speculation.

After months with the Tab Mini C, I personally don't want a black and white device. I've been convinced by colour for regular reading as well. In my opinion Android apps look better with colour, and I'm not just talking about reading programs (AlReaderX supports colour for underlines, titles and links, and traditional apps like Kindle or PocketBook are designed in colour) but especially utilities for dictionary, translation, Wikipedia and file organisers. I use Google Go quite a lot (which is an all-in-one search function) and the difference between colour and black and white is remarkable. But this is a very personal opinion. Other users probably think differently and prefer black and white.
Old 10-09-2023, 01:00 PM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard

I see added informational value in the colors, but what I no longer want to be without is the Super Refresh Technology (BSR) of the Tab devices or Palma.
Old 10-10-2023, 12:26 AM   #10
cellaris
Addict

Quote:

The device is a NoteX3. And a Tab 10 C Pro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NoteX3.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	204205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tab10C Pro.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	204221  

Last edited by cellaris; 10-11-2023 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:18 AM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
The device is a NoteX3.
This is for China.
It is not registered with FCC

Last edited by ottischwenk; 10-10-2023 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-10-2023, 10:47 AM   #12
cellaris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
This is for China.
It is not registered with FCC
Yes, it is for the Chinese market.