Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-10-2023, 01:39 PM   #1
LeissKla
LeissKla began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Odyssey
6 inch eink reader mit support for large library

I'm looking for a 6 inch or larger eink reader with support for a large library.
Until now I had a Cybook Odyssey with Firmware 5.2. This firmware could sort
the library by path to the book. If i put the books in a tree with the following
folder levels
1. level: Author
2. level: Series
3. level: seq. Number + title
i got the library sort that i wanted.

Is there any eink reader that supports this feature

Klaus
LeissKla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 02:04 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Personally, I would suggest a Kobo Clara 2E with the internal 16GB µSD card. This can be easily upgraded to 128gb if 16GB is not enough. This would require adding KOReader to the device.

Unless you want to use KOReader, the default GUI does not have a file manager. OTOH, between the ability to sort and search by title, series, etc. and search being so much faster than trying to use a file manager, I don't miss trying to navigate a directory tree. Even when I use KOReader, I use it's search though that does assume that you are using calibre and it's metadata file stored on the ereader.

Search also removes the issues of dealing with books and series that have multiple authors. Shared universes are one often horrible example. I'm re-reading the Thieves' World books and finding a story written by John Brunner as an example is very simple. Simply type 'joh' in the search box brings up his name and tapping on that brings up a list of all the books where he is listed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 02:22 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Folder organisation is so 1960s-1970s. it's so slow and painful for 6,000 books compared to a Library Metadata & Search interface.

I had folder based KOReader on my Kobo.

I wrote PC document management and PC library book & Video lending libraries 20 years ago and none of it used file browsing.

You can do what you want on any Kobo model, but for 1000s of books (and 7" Libra 2 or 8" Sage can maybe manage 18,000 to 22,000 depending on type/size).

If you really want small size, then the Kobo Clara 2E, but the 7" Libra 2 or 8" Sage have page turn buttons (optional use), 32G and the 7" model is that much bigger than older 6" ereaders like the Nook.

KOReader is simple to install on Kobo and no jail-break needed. But you really don't need file based browsing, especially slow with 6,000 ebooks!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 03:08 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A Kobo Libra 2 would do better because it doesn't have directory support. It has collections, series, author. Works very well. better then directories.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 05:30 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A Kobo Libra 2 would do better because it doesn't have directory support. It has collections, series, author. Works very well. better then directories.
Titles too.
Also unread, reading, finished, all
Sort by recent.
Old 09-10-2023, 10:19 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The Libra 2 or the Sage would be a better choice but I misread the OP as wanting a 6" ereader.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 05:26 AM   #7
LeissKla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Folder organisation is so 1960s-1970s. it's so slow and painful for 6,000 books compared to a Library Metadata & Search interface.
Slow is ok for me. I have largely avoided to buy DRMed books. My DRM free books on this reader and I use it on the go when i have no other device with me. The Library is displayed as an array of title pages and a short test title. I'm more visually orientated and use the title page to select what I reread next. I have difficulties to remember author and title and if i find something that appeals to me I want the other books near it and in the correct order since the chance is large that i want to read the whole series or more from the same author.

Quote:
You can do what you want on any Kobo model, but for 1000s of books (and 7" Libra 2 or 8" Sage can maybe manage 18,000 to 22,000 depending on type/size).

If you really want small size, then the Kobo Clara 2E, but the 7" Libra 2 or 8" Sage have page turn buttons (optional use), 32G and the 7" model is that much bigger than older 6" ereaders like the Nook.

KOReader is simple to install on Kobo and no jail-break needed. But you really don't need file based browsing, especially slow with 6,000 ebooks!
Larger format readers are ok if they can reflow the books. I had some older cheap readers that could not reflow the books that had wide margins and were a pain to use. Size wise the more interesting point for me are the overall dimensions. If the reader with a protective cover is larger than 9 inches it does not fit in my backpack.
I would have to test KOReader to see how it fits my needs. I have to see if i can test it on my android tablet. It seems the cover browser plugin could fit my needs even if it seems that it only supports on column.

At the moment i would not like to reorganize my booksif i could avoid it. I did that once when i broke my cybook gen3 and my new cybook did no longer supported only epub not mobi.
Klaus
Old 09-11-2023, 07:09 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The Sage is also quicker then the Libra 2 and Clara 2E (from what I've read on this forum).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 09:00 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

The Sage is very fast. I've used or have Kobo
Touch C.
Original H2O
Libra
Nia
Libra 2
Sage
Elipsa

Sony: PRS350, T1 & T2

iRiver Cover Story

Kindles:
K3
DXG
PW1
PW3 and similar era Basic
Oasis gen 2
PW4

Nook Simple Touch

reMarkable

Y-Ben P47L 4.7"

Boyue Likebook Mars 7.8"

The Elipsa and Sage are far faster than any of those. I find the 8" Sage best for reading novels and annotating. The Libra 2 is far better than the Oasis gen2 and would be my 2nd recommendation.

The Sage is better than the Elipsa for notes and reading novels as the Elipsa is too big and heavy.

All the Kobos will allow install of KOReader and thus the Folder organisation you want (which doesn't matter to the native reader). I'd not be surprised if you abandoned file based sorting and used the Metadata instead. Calibre can organise both at the same time.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:39 AM   #10
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I don't really do any collections, etc. on my ereaders. I just do a search for what I'm looking to read. It's faster for me than scrolling through page after page of collections and series.

Regardless, I think the Clara 2e is going to be the best bet if you want a 6" reader that handles series and collections well.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 10:01 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
PocketBooks directly support a folder view. You can create folders from your computer. I'm not sure if you can directly import folders from Calibre or not, but it looks like you can copy and paste. I've never really experimented with this, but you might want to look into it.

EDIT: I should add that the Touch Lux 5 (soon to be replaced by the Verse) still has a microSD slot (the Verse will have on also), so it can support a lot of storage. The disadvantage of the TL5/Verse is that it uses a 212 dpi screen. PocketBook doesn't have the microSD slot in their more expensive readers — which seems a little odd.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-15-2023 at 10:11 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 08:52 AM   #12
LeissKla

I seem to express my wishes unclear. A folder view is not what i want. The folders are only a means to sort the books. What i want is a view of all books but sorted according to the full path to the book. I understand that i can do something similar with a combination of KOReader, Calibre and the book metadata. My problem is that i have more than 3000 books and not all have the required metadata or the metadata is either incorrect or not what i want. To correct this would be a lot of work that I at the moment try to avoid.

Klaus
Old 09-17-2023, 10:54 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I've about 6,000 ebooks on my Kobo ereader.
Surely your Authors and Titles are correct?

Sort is by title, author, recent, collection or Series.
Filter by Unread, Reading, Finished or All.

Search is fast.

Series and Collections is more work, but if you aren't using those then don't worry.

I used KOReader for a while but took it off Kobo. Still have it on an Android eInk as it doesn't use titles or authors, only files.